Giants Jets game - Daboll's call to attempt a FG

BillsIsrael

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

It wasn’t the right call and it shouldn’t be debatable imo.

#1 - You kick the field and make the field goal you still have to go out there and play defense.

#2 - You kick the field goal and miss the field goal you still have to go out there and play defense.

#3 - You go for it on 4th down and they stop you…..guess what you still have to put there and play defense.

#4 - You pick up 1 yard on 4th down and the game is over 

Please explain to me how option 1 is the better option over 4?

Although I would of went for it myself,  your not comparing apples to apples.

Making the FG makes the Jets have to score a TD.

Missing it or getting stopped allows the Jets to go 40sh yards for a game tying fg.

Edited by The Tomcat

4 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Everyone knew on this play too, which is why it worked:

I assume you mean the QB run. However, it's not the same situation. Yes, the Giants *could* QB sneak, or even pass the ball, but DeVito demonstrated no capacity to throw and Saquon is by far the best option. 

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

It wasn’t the right call and it shouldn’t be debatable imo.

#1 - You kick the field and make the field goal you still have to go out there and play defense.

#2 - You kick the field goal and miss the field goal you still have to go out there and play defense.

#3 - You go for it on 4th down and they stop you…..guess what you still have to put there and play defense.

#4 - You pick up 1 yard on 4th down and the game is over 

Please explain to me how option 1 is the better option over 4?

Option 1, should note a kickoff is required, which introduces a small amount of randomness 

Option 2, should note slightly better field position for the Jets. 

Option 5, field goal is blocked giving jets a far better field position 

The 7 yards the Jets gained from a missed FG, was sort of meaningful at the end. 

The statistics may very well say Daboll made the right choice. And as we saw, with the giants QB situation, a tie was likely the same as a loss in regulation.  So I can’t fault the decision. but in real time I was screaming at the radio to go for it, because I felt like there were more things that could go wrong with the field goal try 

I watched it in real time and I thought they should have gone for it on 4th and 1.  Given the time remaining, timeout situation, momentum, etc., it seemed to me to be the right decision in that situation.  The missed FG gave the Jets better field position and I was concerned that if the Giants had made the FG, the Jets could have gotten a big kick return which could have put them into a good situation.  Throw in the fact that the Giants had no threat of a pass and basically no offense.  Everyone knew that if the game went to OT, the Giants were not going to win.  It was the one rare situation where I thought the Giants should NOT have taken the ball in OT.  I was telling my wife (who had no idea of what I was talking about, nor did she give a sh*&) that the Giants were going to go 3 and out, punt, give the Jets great field position and lose the game on a FG.

I also agree that if the Giants had not taken that stupid Offside penalty, none of this would have mattered.  Given the time remaining and the lack of timeouts, the Jets did not have enough time to get the necessary yardage and get the Field Goal unit onto the field.

One positive was that it was an exciting finish to an otherwise horrible game.  Some good football entertainment on a day the Bills were not playing.

Edited by msw2112
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, BillsIsrael said:

Was watching the end of the game and with 4th and 1 on Jets 19 - I know hindsight is 20-20 but even before I was surprised he didn't go for it - Barkley would get it over 50% of the time and then they milk the clock. Don't make it - the jets have to start at there own 19. I thought there chances were better than attempting a FG. I was saying it to anybody who would listen even before Gano missed.
Does that not make sense?

If they made the 1st down on 4th and one, game over.  If they get stopped about the same amount of time left as clock stopps on change of possession  and would need to go another 7 or 8 yards further.

Having said that, tend to agree may have been smarter to go for it.

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

Another killer play was the Offside play by Thibodeaux. That was the play where Wilson had a 30-yard completion to midfield, but the clock stopped with 17 seconds left because of the Offside. Shows you how dumb Wilson is for throwing it in the middle of the field and no timeouts. If he doesn't go Offside the Jets run out of time. 

This was the real blunder. Thibodeaux went from hero to goat real quick.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.