Bills @ Patriots Post game thread

BuffaloBill

52 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

What's crazy to me is the Bills have one of the very best pass-rushing units in the league and the Patriots have one of the very worst O lines...what happened?

Suddenly the offense can't move the ball against bad defenses? Buffalo should not have lost this game. 

Strange stuff...

I think no Big Ed and obviously Jones was huge. Ed has been a terror, getting pressure in the middle which turns into the ends getting sacks. 

Also Dodson killed us. Was a noticeable difference without Dorian, I have no clue what happened to him but we need him. Kid is legit, no Milano but he's good

Also, Josh was throwing high or low on many passes, some were caught but the throw prevented any yac. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Most times they moved the ball (steadily). They had a steady diet of 6, 7, 4, 8 yard gains. 

But it is laborious. There is an occasional Cook 22 yard run, or 18-yard bullet to Diggs. 

I’ll have to see the A22, but if the Pats sat in 2 all day like the broadcast said they did then that’s really your only option until they get out of it. Can’t force the ball to covered receivers down field.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

I think no Big Ed and obviously Jones was huge. Ed has been a terror, getting pressure in the middle which turns into the ends getting sacks. 

Also Dodson killed us. Was a noticeable difference without Dorian, I have no clue what happened to him but we need him. Kid is legit, no Milano but he's good

Also, Josh was throwing high or low on many passes, some were caught but the throw prevented any yac. 

Big Ed has been a force this year, but I don't know if he helps anything yesterday. He's undersized and apt to get knocked back in run support . See Bungles game. Without Jones next to him he hasn't been the same. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

What's crazy to me is the Bills have one of the very best pass-rushing units in the league and the Patriots have one of the very worst O lines...what happened?

Suddenly the offense can't move the ball against bad defenses? Buffalo should not have lost this game. 

Strange stuff...

The Pats D is not bad. If you look at the stats they are top 10 in total yards but points allowed they are 26th. Why? Because the Pats O turned over the ball a lot giving teams extremely short fields or a free 6 points without the D being out there. 

Yesterday the O almost did it again turning the ball over at what their own 35?  The difference was the O got the ball back and the Bills D got zero pressure on Jones and he was able to match the Pats down the field. IMO the loss is more because your D allowed the worst O in the NFL to score 29 points.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Agreed with both of you. Been screaming for Josh to take underneath stuff for years but also he needs to start running again.  He'd take off instantly in the past if a lane was there and vs NE he had multiple opportunities for easy yards rushing and holds the ball usually resulting in a negative play. 

It's very discouraging to watch 

Yeah, that's my takeaway...he is so reluctant to use his legs now he would rather run around for a while and then attempt a pass with like a 5% completion chance and a super high difficulty rate than take off running.  They have gone too far in the other direction now and have effectively neutered not only him but also their offense. Teams don't have to worry about it as much now and they don't have to prepare for any of the designed runs the Bills were so good at either anymore.

26 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Soft defense 

So Murray gets called for the same thing but this dude takes out 3 defenders and gets nothing?  This is what drives me crazy...officials aren't even consistent within the SAME GAME, let alone week to week or among different officiating crews.  It is so maddening to see this crap week in and week out, and I am not even talking about only Bills games.  Refs seem determined to effect every late game outcome in the NFL over the last 4 weeks with their constant flags.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

I get that you want to give depth guys or guys on your practice squad first crack at replacing the starters when they go down. They know the system. Reward them. Makes complete sense. BUT….this regime needs to pivot quicker when it’s clear they don’t have an answer at the position.

For example, Daquan Jones goes down and they give Phillips, Settle, Vickers, and eventually Ford a shot to replace him at some point over the last two games. Other than Ford, none of those guys are an ideal fit at 1 tech. Knowing how important 1 tech is to your defense, why not take a shot on someone outside the org to play that position? Jordan Davis goes down last year, the Eagles don’t sit on their hands. They go grab Linval Joseph and Suh off the street. Not world beaters at this point in their careers, but better than the replacement level players they’re counting on to fill that spot. They’re trying. Oliver, when healthy, is a much more impactful player when he has help. Plus, the DT position has to be one of the easier positions to plug and play. Go get a guy with some heft. 

I feel like this is something that crops up a bit with this regime. They get stuck on their guys and won’t step outside their comfort zone to bring someone in who may be able to help. At least try something. 

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah, that's my takeaway...he is so reluctant to use his legs now he would rather run around for a while and then attempt a pass with like a 5% completion chance and a super high difficulty rate than take off running.  They have gone too far in the other direction now and have effectively neutered not only him but also their offense. Teams don't have to worry about it as much now and they don't have to prepare for any of the designed runs the Bills were so good at either anymore.

So Murray gets called for the same thing but this dude takes out 3 defenders and gets nothing?  This is what drives me crazy...officials aren't even consistent within the SAME GAME, let alone week to week or among different officiating crews.  It is so maddening to see this crap week in and week out, and I am not even talking about only Bills games.  Refs seem determined to effect every late game outcome in the NFL over the last 4 weeks with their constant flags.

One difference is Murray and the Pats defender hit hard and knocked the defender down. These Henry at least made an effort to make it look like he was trying to put into a route..

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I don't know where you get soft defense from that. Henry is blocking downfield before the pass is thrown. If Murray's play was OPI, then that is too. Someone there should have flopped back to make that an easier call, I guess. 

3 people shouldn’t be able be blocked by 1 guy. I looked at it and it felt like all 3 were tying cover Henry. The last guy should have been on Bourne at least and he either released slowly or blew the coverage.

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

One difference is Murray and the Pats defender hit hard and knocked the defender down. These Henry at least made an effort to make it look like he was trying to put into a route..

It's nearly impossible to block 3 people on one pass play without intending to do so. Also Murray seemingly just stopped and the defender ran into him.  

Edited by Big Turk

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I still cannot believe that the defense gave up long TD drives to start the game and to end the game, failing to hold a lead. 

I saw Dorian make a few errors in assignment, then he was out, poof.  They got worse without him.  

I understand that Oliver and D Jones were out but what about our edge rush?   Von Miller did not contribute.  Epenesa  and Floyd were both also MIA.   Did Eppy even dress for the game?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I still cannot believe that the defense gave up long TD drives to start the game and to end the game, failing to hold a lead. 

I saw Dorian make a few errors in assignment, then he was out, poof.  They got worse without him.  

I understand that Oliver and D Jones were out but what about our edge rush?   Von Miller did not contribute.  Epenesa  and Floyd were both also MIA.   Did Eppy even dress for the game?  

Von Miller doesn’t look like he’ll be ready to contribute until around December. The rush didn’t get home. They made Jones - who was just shut out by the Saints- look competent. Simply an inexcusable performance by the defensive players and staff. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Snapcounts are up. Von only played 6 snaps. I have no idea why that was the case. 

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Snapcounts are up. Von only played 6 snaps. I have no idea why that was the case. 

He’s ramping up to playing the game again. You can’t really do that in practice these days so he sees spot duty until then. He appears to be at least another month away. 

Looking like the 12 formation is not effective.  We still do not run good enough, even with 2 TE's.   

Our #2 WR does not contribute and #88 drops a key pass every game.  

The offensive talent does not scare anyone.  Keys to stopping them are well known:

Double Diggs + keep Allen from running + make him be patient with short passes + blitz on the right side of the OL =>  the Bills will beat themselves.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.