Snippet from The Athletic Joe Buscaglia on Josh Allen

Billsfan1972

2 hours ago, mrags said:

Playcalling ruling the day has almost never been a thing with McD or Dorsey. So we’ll see how that goes. 

I understand your argument about saving it for when it matters most. But if Josh doesn’t go scorched earth at some point during the season, we might not make the playoffs. 

I am perhaps too Zen and think balance is the way to live long and win the long game.

caveat is

Josh can take over a a game

Josh should use his legs and scramble to keep defenses on their heals

But its not the Answer. Just part of the puzzle.

Play calling and adjustments need  some fixins . After Jest we saw that. Jaguars was more of a rut, again.

as mentioned above and wisely

Feel for the game and flow. Not a strong point for Bills 

Edited by 3rdand12

3 minutes ago, sunshynman said:

Keep him healthy. Let him perfect the play action pass. And taking what the D gives. The only time I want him running now is goal line or when a play breaks down. Hate the designed runs on the wrong side of the field. When we make it to the playoffs. Then he has free reign. 

QBs get injured in the pocket all the time.

And what if what the D is giving us is QB runs? Everyone else covered with no spy? Run the QB to force them into giving us something else.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

QBs get injured in the pocket all the time.

And what if what the D is giving us is QB runs? Everyone else covered with no spy? Run the QB to force them into giving us something else.

If they don't have a spy or LB's are back, then fine. But the designed runs when they are looking for it suck.

• Agree 2

Honestly we dont need more from Allen  We need something from the rest of the offense  This team needs to be able to create yards without it always being Allen being special  Dorsey needs to earn his keep and create some offense with the other guys  Where is the jet sweep?  Where is the creative run plays?  Our offense is pop warner football with Godzilla at qb

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

How many times is Dorsey going to run Cook out of the shotgun straight up the middle? He’s in over his head. Why go with a rookie OC when you have a team built for the playoffs and superbowl?

Mcd needs to be held accountable for this hiring. It was a terrible choice. 

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

"Their most realistic chance of winning the Super Bowl came in 2021 when the offense was unstoppable and playing a mostly perfect game in one way or another over the season’s final month."

there is a close to zero chance the offense plays as well as they did during the end of 2021 and wasn't even enough to get them out of the divisional round

I think that assuming the Bills would just roll over Cincy in 21 is somewhat of a fallacy.  Kansas City’s offense that year was just as strong as Buffalo.  Cincy and Lou Anarumo made some key defensive adjustments to stifle Mahomes.  

The Bills also struggled to stop Burrow’s quick throws to Chase, Higgins, and Boyd in 2022.  I’m not sure how that’s different in 2021.  I guess you could say the Bengals OL was worse then, but so was the Bills pass rush.  

The injuries and circumstances really hurt the Bills last season, but many people thought they had a good chance to beat Cincy this year too.  

So while I’m not saying it’s a given they don’t beat the Bengals in Buffalo, I don’t think it’s a certainty either

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I think that assuming the Bills would just roll over Cincy in 21 is somewhat of a fallacy.  Kansas City’s offense that year was just as strong as Buffalo.  Cincy and Lou Anarumo made some key defensive adjustments to stifle Mahomes.  

The Bills also struggled to stop Burrow’s quick throws to Chase, Higgins, and Boyd in 2022.  I’m not sure how that’s different in 2021.  I guess you could say the Bengals OL was worse then, but so was the Bills pass rush.  

The injuries and circumstances really hurt the Bills last season, but many people thought they had a good chance to beat Cincy this year too.  

So while I’m not saying it’s a given they don’t beat the Bengals in Buffalo, I don’t think it’s a certainty either

The thought of the Bengals WR’s going up against our secondary is terrifying.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Westside said:

How many times is Dorsey going to run Cook out of the shotgun straight up the middle? He’s in over his head. Why go with a rookie OC when you have a team built for the playoffs and superbowl?

Mcd needs to be held accountable for this hiring. It was a terrible choice. 

Josh wanted Dorsey ….

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Thank you (+1) 1

to recreate the 2021 offense, we need to add more weapons at WR.   that team had Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, Beasely, and Gabe.

I don't think Harty, Sheffield and Shakir are good enough. And Gabe could be complemented/pushed by another boundary target with speed.

There are guys available for trade that could push the Offense over the top

3 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Was watching a little Mahomes Sunday and when there is pressure and he elides a tackler, all bets are off as he can scramble.  

Mahomes does this all the time when KC can’t get their offense going. See Jets game a couple weeks ago. This is what I want to see Allen do more. Not the designed runs where he’s going to take a beating. The impromptu scrambles when defenders are busy covering receivers. It’s such a back breaking play for the defense when the qb scrambles for 20+ yards. Allen is such a better runner than Mahomes. But he doesn’t do as effectively as Mahomes for some reason. Just don’t get it. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

to recreate the 2021 offense, we need to add more weapons at WR.   that team had Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, Beasely, and Gabe.

I don't think Harty, Sheffield and Shakir are good enough. And Gabe could be complemented/pushed by another boundary target with speed.

There are guys available for trade that could push the Offense over the top

disagree.

Make good use of what they have. and they do have some speed

use that 3 headed monster at RB. and Cook in motion not up the middle

Use the two TEs. Lets see Kincaid go straight up the slot for once 

and how about more clearing routes for the shorter stuff and YAC 

just a thought

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Mahomes does this all the time when KC can’t get their offense going. See Jets game a couple weeks ago. This is what I want to see Allen do more. Not the designed runs where he’s going to take a beating. The impromptu scrambles when defenders are busy covering receivers. It’s such a back breaking play for the defense when the qb scrambles for 20+ yards. Allen is such a better runner than Mahomes. But he doesn’t do as effectively as Mahomes for some reason. Just don’t get it. 

This year he's been told not to.  Also his receivers running deeper routes.  Allen can and should do it more.

18 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Mahomes slides. Allen scrambles
 pocket presence is key.
The reason Allen use to get pounded partially ? The O line did not know where he was going.

And lost any kind of protection or downfield blocking as he move outside.

This year is much better from the O line and ..

Allen's ability to recognize how the pocket is collapsing as designed

( they all do lol )

Very hopeful in this matter

Go Bills

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

This year he's been told not to.  Also his receivers running deeper routes.  Allen can and should do it more.

if he sees it, he should take it 

and good lord ...slide

• Like (+1) 1

Josh having to go nuclear after all the injuries sounds a lot like last year. I’ve almost come around to the thinking that if beane makes a move he should just double down on offense and just try to outscore everybody. If the front 4 is healthy the defense could still wreck games. Too many times the offense stutters when it shouldn’t. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I was under the impression he was told to slide more to protect himself. He tends to invite contact and that’s what they want to cut down. Scrambling for yards and sliding should always be an option for Allen. 

44 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Mahomes slides. Allen scrambles
 pocket presence is key.
The reason Allen use to get pounded partially ? The O line did not know where he was going.

And lost any kind of protection or downfield blocking as he move outside.

This year is much better from the O line and ..

Allen's ability to recognize how the pocket is collapsing as designed

( they all do lol )

Very hopeful in this matter

Go Bills

if he sees it, he should take it 

and good lord ...slide

Definitely! There are opportunities in every game to scramble for yards and he should take them. Don’t do design runs. He’s not Lamar. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I absolutely disagree. The Bills need to simply play disciples football where JA can occasionally work his magic.  The Bills are not without depth and the opportunity to win many more games this season.

Where JA does need to be “special” is in the playoffs.

This.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.