Would you trade AJ Epenesa?

Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Yeah but the same problem would exist if bringing a new WR.  To me it's even worse as both the QB and the WR need to learn from each other and that takes time and practice which today's NFLPA rules doesn't allow for much of that.  At this point in season, I'd think they'd be further ahead in making the fast ball, faster by using more Kincaid, Harty, Shakir, and Sherfield.  If you're going for a big trade I'd rather see them go for a guy like a Surtan at CB

Surtain would be a dream landing but I wouldn't want to even imagine what it would take to trade for him. Cuz epenesa and a 1st wouldn't even bring the broncos to the table.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Depends on how you look at the rest of the season for the bills.

Milano was so good and so important to the bills that's why I'd say wr2 is more important for this season.

There's such few, and maybe no LBs in the NFL that could be traded for, come in, learn the system and play like Milano. 

CB is a need, but mcd has consistently shown he's comfortable with his in house guys, and they just spent capitol on Elam.

Now for the rest of the season I'd argue the path for the bills to win a SB with this many bad injuries on defense is for the fast ball to get faster, not to bandaid the defense. Davis has had a solid stat line this season, but his route tree is very limited, his bad drops continue, and he hasn't been a game changer since the chiefs playoff game. He feasts on defenses when they have to pay attention to diggs.

A true WR2 or WR1B that draws attention from diggs, Knox, Kincaid, davis, would open up alot of doors for Allen. If the bills could cause a shoot out with other elite teams, the bills still have elite pass rushers that can get home. 

Adams if we are going for Offense

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s the whole reason you trade him, to win a Super Bowl.

two sides to that coin. But yea  i feel ya.
But still you will giving up a 1st most likely for the game changer.

Honestly , better to sit on him and hope he continues to ascend.

I am not pleased to say that Bills might not have the juice to go to SB this season though, and with regret am leaning as Gunner does here.

still early in the season and "on any Sunda"y still applies !

Hear me out guys.

I think we should trade Josh Allen.

Look, he's never won anything for the Bills.  No Super Bowl.  No AFC championship.

He'll never be worth more than he is now.  I'm betting we could get 2-3 1sts for him, and clear some cap space.

We already have his younger bro Kyle on the roster; I hear that Kyle is just as good, if not better.  Dud just needs a chance.

SMH.

• Haha (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Hear me out guys.

I think we should trade Josh Allen.

Look, he's never won anything for the Bills.  No Super Bowl.  No AFC championship.

He'll never be worth more than he is now.  I'm betting we could get 2-3 1sts for him, and clear some cap space.

We already have his younger bro Kyle on the roster; I hear that Kyle is just as good, if not better.  Dud just needs a chance.

SMH.

So walk year AJ Epenesa = proven elite QB Josh Allen?

It's a ridiculous parallel you've attempted to draw.

With Miller and Oliver on big deals and Rousseau eligible for extension after this season(and a better player than Epenesa) it would seem to be very unlikely that Epenesa is extended whether he ends up with a great season or just a solid one.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So walk year AJ Epenesa = proven elite QB Josh Allen?

It's a ridiculous parallel you've attempted to draw.

With Miller and Oliver on big deals and Rousseau eligible for extension after this season(and a better player than Epenesa) it would seem to be very unlikely that Epenesa is extended whether he ends up with a great season or just a solid one.

The whole premise of trading Epenesa now is silly.

This is a year when we should be trying to go "all in" to win a championship, rather than building for the future.

Given recent injuries, Bills formula for success is going to be pass rush on defense, and offense that can outscore the top teams (not a ball control offense).

So no, you dont trade away an emerging pass rush asset for a 2025 5th round pick.

SMH.

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

This is a year when we should be trying to go "all in" to win a championship, rather than building for the future.

Given recent injuries, Bills formula for success is going to be pass rush on defense, and offense that can outscore the top teams (not a ball control offense).

So no, you dont trade away an emerging pass rush asset for a 2025 5th round pick.

SMH.

The reason you trade him is to go all in.

On 10/9/2023 at 6:09 PM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Once Von is full go we’ll have Rousseau, Miller, Floyd, Lawson, and Jonathan. Jonathan has shown promise.

Epenesa’s value won’t be any higher. He’s playing good football. The other option is extending him to pair with Rousseau in the future.

With the injuries Epenesa could bring back a solid player to help at CB or LB.

You crack me up. No one is trading anything of value for Epenesa. He has had two really good games this season. Out of five. He also had three previous seasons with zero good games. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The reason you trade him is to go all in.

With injuries affecting the defensive backfield, you should want more pass rush, not blunt the edge by trading a player who is playing very well right now. If we were "going no where" as a team, then I would say stocking for the future is a good idea. But we are, and it's not 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

You crack me up. No one is trading anything of value for Epenesa. He has had two really good games this season. Out of five. He also had three previous seasons with zero good games. 

So many different opinions on Epenesa. lol.

1 minute ago, Fan in Chicago said:

With injuries affecting the defensive backfield, you should want more pass rush, not blunt the edge by trading a player who is playing very well right now. If we were "going no where" as a team, then I would say stocking for the future is a good idea. But we are, and it's not 

Kingsley Jonathan has played very well. 

15 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Sure seemed like everyone had the same opinion of Epenesa up until very, very recently.

I always said he was better than Basham …. There were more then a few who preferred Basham over AJE this year 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

No Bills fan is advocating trading Epenesa for a 5th round pick.    That's not the premise so that's where you've gone wrong first.

An "emerging pass rush asset" in the last 9 games of his contract might net them a day 1 or early day 2 draft pick like Bradley Chubb did for Denver last season.

Perhaps not..........but young pass rushers have value.

When Rousseau and Shaq return to the lineup they will have 6 DE's..........and Epenesa might be the 4th best and the 5th best(Jonathan) probably assumes the 3rd or 4th spot next season so it's not like there isn't anything to be gained by creating PT for his backup.

If it helps you improve the team now by trading Epenesa you do it because he's basically a rental.   If you also improve your team in the future in the process......even short term future by acquiring a good player on a contract with a malleable 2024 cap figure.......then that is even better.  

Maybe you are holding out hope that they are going to pay market value to retain Epenesa but I can't see any scenario where he is in the plans for 2024 and beyond.  

The timing of his development was just not quick enough to prevent them from having to invest in Rousseau/Miller/Floyd.........so I think his Bills career is coming to an end in 6 months either way.

20 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Sure seemed like everyone had the same opinion of Epenesa up until very, very recently.

I can honestly say that I felt like he would have a breakout season and perhaps become valuable trade bait........so not everyone.

But yeah, there wasn't a lot of love and it felt like piling on by late in the preseason when people were talking about moving on from Epenesa to save Boogie a spot.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.