Feeling dejected...

Ethan in Cleveland

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Really in the dumps right now. I can handle the losses but the catastrophic injuries these past two years really have me down.

Seriously questioning why I still watch and care. Seeing grown men crying and literally dying on the field knowing their season and maybe their careers are over. All so some broadcast network can charge more for a commercial of something I would never purchase. 

The 90's teams had injuries but our core guys never missed huge chunks of time. I have no idea if injuries are more frequent now or more catastrophic. I know surgery and recovery is better than ever. Yet it still feels so hopeless. All the emotional investment we as a community invest only for it to be sprained, torn, or broken in seconds. 

Losing Milano is a gut shot I'm not sure I can get over. 

Agree about the injuries…it really is tough to watch.

What’s harder for me after a game like this is recognizing that the Bills are just not an elite team.  The Eagles, Chiefs and Niners don’t have games like this (and the Jets game).  We are in the next shelf down, along with the Cowboys, Seahawks, Ravens and Dolphins…good but flawed and not ready to go out and kick ass week in and week out, with no excuses.  I realized today that this team will probably make the playoffs and maybe win a playoff game or two, but they aren’t going any farther. I’ve seen enough of the McDermott/Dorsey regime.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Really in the dumps right now. I can handle the losses but the catastrophic injuries these past two years really have me down.

Seriously questioning why I still watch and care. Seeing grown men crying and literally dying on the field knowing their season and maybe their careers are over. All so some broadcast network can charge more for a commercial of something I would never purchase. 

The 90's teams had injuries but our core guys never missed huge chunks of time. I have no idea if injuries are more frequent now or more catastrophic. I know surgery and recovery is better than ever. Yet it still feels so hopeless. All the emotional investment we as a community invest only for it to be sprained, torn, or broken in seconds. 

My best and honest advice is to stay off the MB for a while. It’s unrealistically toxic around here after a loss and if you’re already feeling dejected, this place will fuel it. Wait for official word on the injuries, and know we have a solid NT and 3rd round pick LB ready to step in. 

I held off on responding to this post, but you know what, I’m in the exact same place as the OP. After being a fan for 50+ years, a Bills unexpected/disappointing loss still affects me way more than it should. I had trouble getting to sleep last night, and as I was tossing and turning, I kept rewatching the game in my head, imagining ways they should have done it differently. It totally sucks, but not sure I’ll ever change. I guess when they win a SB, it’ll be like nirvana. Hope that comes before I meet my maker; time is getting tight.

I feel depressed over the injuries more than the L as well.

If Jones is also done for year, this game could cost us a SB.

Defense was amazing,  dominant through 4 weeks and these will be tough to overcome 

Still we should have won missing 2 starting cbs, Groot Quan and limited Von n Floyd

Hope Groot and Benford get back out there. We can still be a great D but they had the potential to be elite. Even an all time D. 

Thinking optimistic,  we still had 5vsacks and 2 turnovers minus Von for majority  and Floyd and obviously no Groot all day.  So we'll see.  Just bummed, I feel like we beat that team 9/10 times , especially if they played in Buf or Jax. 

Hope Daquan will be back at some point.  If his pec isn't a complete tear he could be back in 6 weeks according to some on twitter 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, mannc said:

What’s harder for me after a game like this is recognizing that the Bills are just not an elite team.  The Eagles, Chiefs and Niners don’t have games like this (and the Jets game).  We are in the next shelf down, along with the Cowboys, Seahawks, Ravens and Dolphins…good but flawed and not ready to go out and kick ass week in and week out, with no excuses.  I realized today that this team will probably make the playoffs and maybe win a playoff game or two, but they aren’t going any farther. I’ve seen enough of the McDermott/Dorsey regime.

The Chiefs lost to the Colts last year.  Got taken to OT by Malik Willis.

The 49ers lost to the Nate Hackett Broncos and Falcons last year.

Eagles lost to the Commanders and Saints.

Yes, even the elite unbeatables get beat by bad teams.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Chiefs don't scare me at all. They looked mediocre at best vs Jets and only decent today. 

Mia scares me more, idk if we can do that to them without Milano and Daquan and with Ramsey back , idk if we'll be able to hang 40.

I think 49ers are in a class of their own and Buf,KC,Philly, Mia are on the next tier. 

I had Buf on the top tier with SF before yesterday.  losing an elite DT and LB with huge difference in their replacements is crushing for a SB run. At least with Tre, we have Dane and Benford,  not a huge drop off as they're capable starters

27 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Chiefs don't scare me at all. They looked mediocre at best vs Jets and only decent today. 

The only reasons the Chiefs scare me are (1) their propensity for playing 12-on-11 and (2) whatever the hell they have in that blue tent that miraculously restores health to their good players.

Without the refs and <ahem> chemistry... they'd be just another team.

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I consider the Jags to be a good, second-tier team, like the Bills.  I’m not talking about losing the odd head scratcher to a bad team.  Of course even the dominant teams will lose games now and then, but the Bills have played poorly in too many games lately, going back to the first Bengals game last year.  Just not an elite team.  The offense simply did not show up in both of the games against good defenses this year.   

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I consider the Jags to be a good, second-tier team, like the Bills.  I’m not talking about losing the odd head scratcher to a bad team.  Of course even the dominant teams will lose games now and then, but the Bills have played poorly in too many games lately, going back to the first Bengals game last year.  Just not an elite team.  The offense simply did not show up in both of the games against good defenses this year.   

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

You specifically said "Chiefs, Eagles and 49ers don't have games like this."  Yes they have and you agree.  Now you shifted your argument.

The Eagles have been struggling this year and it's been a topic....they're definitely not playing like an elite team.  

• Like (+1) 1

Your sweeping generalizations about being elite after a tough loss are meaningless.  It's a week to week league and teams go from looking dominant to effing up week to week.  This loss was totally predictable.  Jags looked average after 4 weeks, and got to sit in London waiting for a jet-lagged Bills team to show up on Friday licking their chops to show the world they are an elite team.  Bills coming off a huge critical blowout of Miami are flat both physically and mentally. Bills down 5 defensive starters most of the game.  Yet they hung in and still had a chance to win late.  Poor game from an excellent team against a very good motivated team and still close at the end.  Given the 5 game body of work, it suggests the Bills are one of about 7 or 8 teams that are likely to win the SB.... I call that elite.  

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You specifically said "Chiefs, Eagles and 49ers don't have games like this."  Yes they have and you agree.  Now you shifted your argument.

The Eagles have been struggling this year and it's been a topic....they're definitely not playing like an elite team.  

Those three teams have lost a total of one game this year.  They are clearly in a tier above the Bills.  The Bills are good. If things go right, they probably beat Jacksonville 50 percent of the time…but that’s it.

• Agree 1

Just now, mannc said:

Those three teams have lost a total of one game this year.  They are clearly in a tier above the Bills.  The Bills are good. If things go right, they probably beat Jacksonville 50 percent of the time…but that’s it.

Okay so now you're shifting your argument again.

You said the Eagles are clearly elite because they're winning.  It doesn't matter if they're struggling.

But the Bills who finished the season on a 7 game winning streak, they struggled and weren't elite.  

Okay, we play the Eagles in 6 weeks.  How much are we losing by?  2-3 scores guaranteed?

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Okay so now you're shifting your argument again.

You said the Eagles are clearly elite because they're winning.  It doesn't matter if they're struggling.

But the Bills who finished the season on a 7 game winning streak, they struggled and weren't elite.  

Okay, we play the Eagles in 6 weeks.  How much are we losing by?  2-3 scores guaranteed?

I have not shifted my argument.  The Bills are good but not good enough.  They might very well rise up and beat Philly, but I think it’s unlikely. The Bills have been BAD in 2 of their 5 games this year.  Philly has not been blowing people out but have new offensive and defensive coordinators, and they’re winning.  They just went across country and whipped a surprisingly good Rams team.

9 hours ago, mannc said:

The chiefs have games like this but they’re getting bailed out by the refs on a weekly basis.  They could’ve easily lost to the jets and Vikings 

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

I have not shifted my argument.  The Bills are good but not good enough.  They might very well rise up and beat Philly, but I think it’s unlikely. The Bills have been BAD in 2 of their 5 games this year.  Philly has not been blowing people out but have new offensive and defensive coordinators, and they’re winning.  They just went across country and whipped a surprisingly good Rams team.

Bills could be good enough…the eagles and niners cant both make it to the Super Bowl.  Nobody in the afc looks remotely close to unbeatable right now 

17 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I've been trying to look at it like... we aren't the favorite anymore.  It's hard to say if we ever were, but right now we're going to go into games against philly, KC, Cincy etc as a dog.  Here's the thing, we're still learning to play a brand of football that makes you hard to play against and it'll develop over the season - not in a couple of games. 

This game showed me that A- We have a long way to go in our rushing offense and B- Allen can still absolutely turn it loose and make aggressive plays.  Defensively we showed against miami that we're able to get a little creative, and we're already having to lean on depth.  In the same way that we're developing our offense, the defense will have to do the same - next man up mentality, but you have to be willing to play this physical brand of defense.  

If we end up a wildcard - so be it.  Be that wildcard that nobody wants to play.  We play a physical brand of defense that can cause turnovers - thats a way to beat some of these teams.  Offensively we want to be able to beat you however you decide to line up, and i think the bills have a lot of ways to beat a team.  I don't love Dorsey, and i think unfortunately he's still learning... but i think there are probably greener pastures ahead.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.