Jaguars at Bills 1998

Buffalo03

Continuing with my weekly thread of posting old Bills games against upcoming opponents where we are playing them the coming week. I am going with the Jaguars at Bills from 1998. Obviously, this upcoming game is in London and not in Buffalo but it is a "home" game for the Bills so, this is the one the one to go with. This may be the best Jags vs Bills games in the existence of games vs these 2 teams as we have had some nightmare games against the Jaguars for whatever reason. This Bills game into this game at 2-3 on a 2 game win streak after an 0-3 start. The Jags came in at 5-0 and were hot to start the season. This was Doug Flutie's first ever start as a Bill taking over for Rob Johnson who got hurt the week before and we all remember how this one ends...a Flutie bootleg TD run on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line. A great game sealing moment in Bills history. If you have any memories or you were there to experience that last TD in person, feel free to post. But here it is. Sit back and enjoy and as always......Go Bills!!!

It was brought to my attention this video ends right before the final drive. So here is the 2nd half of the game with the final drive. The first video must have been posted by a Jags fan lol

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BRH said:

I was there.  The bootleg was a busted play and Flutie made something happen, fortunately.  

That year Flutie was fun to watch.  Not so much after that. 

I didn't think Flutie was that bad in 99 and he was actually very good in the 5 games he played in in 2000. He outplayed Johnson very well in 2000 and got the shaft in 2001 when they kept Johnson over him in my opinion. But yes, 98 was a fun year

16 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

that game-winning bootleg by Flutie is a distinct memory from my childhood!  I was at this game.

My childhood as well. I was 12 years old when this game was played. It was actually blacked out on local TV and my friend had a bday party at Adventure Speedway that day but they had the game on the radio and I remember being more focused on that than the bday party lol. At one point they shut the radio off for some reason and my friends dad went out to the car to listen to the final 2 minutes and came back in and told us the Bills won. I couldn't wait to get home and see the highlights but yeah, I wish I could have been at that game

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Continuing with my weekly thread of posting old Bills games against upcoming opponents where we are playing them the coming week. I am going with the Jaguars at Bills from 1998. Obviously, this upcoming game is in London and not in Buffalo but it is a "home" game for the Bills so, this is the one the one to go with. This may be the best Jags vs Bills games in the existence of games vs these 2 teams as we have had some nightmare games against the Jaguars for whatever reason. This Bills game into this game at 2-3 on a 2 game win streak after an 0-3 start. The Jags came in at 5-0 and were hot to start the season. This was Doug Flutie's first ever start as a Bill taking over for Rob Johnson who got hurt the week before and we all remember how this one ends...a Flutie bootleg TD run on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line. A great game sealing moment in Bills history. If you have any memories or you were there to experience that last TD in person, feel free to post. But here it is. Sit back and enjoy and as always......Go Bills!!!

Is it just me or does this video actually end right before the final drive starts? WTH?

This was back in the day when we would pack a backpack full of beers and I would go inside and my buddy stayed outside. We’d find a quiet area where he could sling the backpack over the fence, I would catch it, then run to our seats.  I can still see it in slow motion, the backpack rising up the fence, and just rolling over the top and dropping into my arms.  The greatest catch ever in Rich Stadium. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Is it just me or does this video actually end right before the final drive starts? WTH?

It does. Thanks for catching that. What the hell? I'll add another video onto the post. I added the 2nd half of the game from another video on the post

Edited by Buffalo03

I remember this game slightly, slightly meaning that I remember bits and pieces of it, because I ended up with a concussion.  I distinctly remember Flutie running into the end zone FTW, and jumping up off my couch in delight.  Unfortunately I'm 6'6" and my ceilings were around 7' in my old, old house at the time.  I hit my head on a beam, causing massive damage to the sheet rock that covered it.

The rest, as my former neighbors told me, was them just checking in to say hi, an ambulance ride and an ER trip, and (by their telling) brain fog for several days.

Solid win tho.  HAHA!

44 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

The downfield play to Moulds was also very memorable. I really feel like we squandered a chance at more with those teams. That was probably the best Bills defense we ever had and the offense was good enough.

#1 defense in the league in 98 and 99. You're right, we had a Super Caliber team both of those years

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

I feel old. I would have guessed it was well into the 2000s that the Jaguars became a team. 

No, the Jags and Panthers both came in the league in 1995 and they both made the Championship game in their 2nd year. It has to be the quickest 2 expansion teams have ever done that. The Jags I remember in 1999, went 14-2, got swept by the Titans in the regular season, they got the 1 seed and then lost to the Titans again in the Championship game that year. They had 3 losses all to the Titans, which was crazy. But yeah, the Jags got good quick

4 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

This was back in the day when we would pack a backpack full of beers and I would go inside and my buddy stayed outside. We’d find a quiet area where he could sling the backpack over the fence, I would catch it, then run to our seats.  I can still see it in slow motion, the backpack rising up the fence, and just rolling over the top and dropping into my arms.  The greatest catch ever in Rich Stadium. 

That's some nice stuff right there lol

I was at this game. 

I was also at 1996 playoff loss / JKs last game, 2017 playoff punt fest loss and 2021 inexcusable 9-6 loss.

It makes me very nervous and not even close to confident about tomorrow, even though I should be calm and confident.

Go Bills.

31 minutes ago, BillsFanNC said:

I was at this game. 

I was also at 1996 playoff loss / JKs last game, 2017 playoff punt fest loss and 2021 inexcusable 9-6 loss.

It makes me very nervous and not even close to confident about tomorrow, even though I should be calm and confident.

Go Bills.

Yeah, this game makes me nervous because for whatever reason, we have always had a hard time and some dumb losses to the Jags

8 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Try this one

That was some watch, those last two minutes.  I mean, I was there, but I don't think I've ever seen the entire drive on video.  Wade Phillips... Dick Jauron (then Tom Coughlin's DC)... Eric Moulds AND Andre Reed making huge catches ... Thurman with a couple of solid runs ... Flutie with a couple of big-time throws and calmly managing the situation ... it brought back a lot of memories.  I can't believe this was 25 years ago.

I remember 10yrs ago after my grandfather passed away going to my grandmothers house. My grandfather used to go to auctions and bring back boxes of junk. Had a whole room packed with stuff. He had all kinds of Bills collectibles. Never forget the box of Flutie Flakes he had sitting prominently on a shelf in the room unopened.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.