Yards after catch anomaly

quinnearlysghost88

20 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

what’s the tipping point where accuracy doesn’t matter vs yards per pass. His accuracy is great but he’s lost his long ball almost completely. 

if the passing game somehow explodes vs Miami, I’ll eat crow. But something tells me it isn’t happening. 72% and 218 yards is not going to fly vs real teams. 

There have been good teams beaten with less than 200 yards passing lol.  It's about context not just raw stats dude.

On 9/25/2023 at 1:46 PM, Big Turk said:

A lot of deep crossers end up near the sideline so the receiver takes a few steps and is OOB.  

A lot of routes are stop and comebacks which are not going to get a lot of YAC.

He doesn't throw as many checkdowns to backs who gain 10-15 yards after the catch or screens where they are behind the LOS so they have lots of space to run.  

The offense is designed differently and relies more on Allen using his arm to gain those extra 5-6 yards versus the receivers running the extra 5 or 6 yards.  

Unsure why some people continuously keep harping on this as if there is something wrong.  Nothing is wrong, it's just an offense that isn't designed to rack up huge YAC numbers.  Allen hit Davis in stride 35 yards downfield in the corner of the endzone yesterday but got 0 YAC yards.  Would it have made you feel better if his arm was weaker and he hit him at the 12 yard line and he picked up 10 YAC yards to the 2 before being shoved out of bounds and then they had to settle for a FG?

Essentially...stop trying to manufacture problems that aren't actually problems.

they need someplace to complain.

the defenses they face are designed to protect the deep shots and force them underneath. The deep corner out route you can get big plays on 2 deep zone but not much YAC

instead of screens, Allen runs.

On 9/25/2023 at 1:46 PM, Big Turk said:

A lot of deep crossers end up near the sideline so the receiver takes a few steps and is OOB.  

A lot of routes are stop and comebacks which are not going to get a lot of YAC.

He doesn't throw as many checkdowns to backs who gain 10-15 yards after the catch or screens where they are behind the LOS so they have lots of space to run.  

The offense is designed differently and relies more on Allen using his arm to gain those extra 5-6 yards versus the receivers running the extra 5 or 6 yards.  

Unsure why some people continuously keep harping on this as if there is something wrong.  Nothing is wrong, it's just an offense that isn't designed to rack up huge YAC numbers.  Allen hit Davis in stride 35 yards downfield in the corner of the endzone yesterday but got 0 YAC yards.  Would it have made you feel better if his arm was weaker and he hit him at the 12 yard line and he picked up 10 YAC yards to the 2 before being shoved out of bounds and then they had to settle for a FG?

Essentially...stop trying to manufacture problems that aren't actually problems.

I agree.  Am I really going to worry that Davis got only two yards after his catch before he ran into the end zone?

• Haha (+1) 2

I'm not sure if our lack of YAC is entirely driven by our scheme. I don't think it's a major problem as some others have suggested, but it is odd to have your starting quarterback seek contact as a runner more than your leading receiver. Diggs seems to have one spin move, and then if that doesn't work, drops like a sack of potatoes. I wish if were the other way around!

6 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

No I’ve surmised he’s lost his long ball bc teams have countered it and play two deep shells. Even bad teams know to just roll safeties over diggs and Davis. We are way less dynamic and it’s showing. You have to be a real homer to not admit we’re pinned into small ball. 

It's professional football

The other team is paid to also game plan against you.. just because teams are playing too deep shells doesn't mean Josh can't throw a deep ball

It means defensive coordinators aren't giving him the looks down field rn

6 minutes ago, syhuang said:

YAC is one of those stats that create a lot of discussion but not a lot of insight.   I've always thought that, but now it's pretty clear.   

Bills were a lousy YAC team, right?   Well, yesterday, when Josh reduced his air yards, YAC went way up.  Bills are currently 10th in the league in YAC.

Yes, some receivers are naturally better at YAC than others, but as a team stat, it depends a lot on where your QB is throwing the ball. Hit your running back on the run, like Allen hit Cook yesterday, and you get lots of YAC.  

More completions means more YAC.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

YAC is one of those stats that create a lot of discussion but not a lot of insight.   I've always thought that, but now it's pretty clear.   

Bills were a lousy YAC team, right?   Well, yesterday, when Josh reduced his air yards, YAC went way up.  Bills are currently 10th in the league in YAC.

Yes, some receivers are naturally better at YAC than others, but as a team stat, it depends a lot on where your QB is throwing the ball. Hit your running back on the run, like Allen hit Cook yesterday, and you get lots of YAC.  

It is also much easier to get YAC when teams play heavy man on you with single high or something.  Bills will continue to see the soft shell umbrellas because will always be scared of Allen and the deep ball.  That also then becomes harder to get those YAC because the defenses you play are designed to have everything in front of you.  

Comes down to making misses, or breaking tackles and that is occurring with the Bills playmakers.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

And Diggs broke a tackle.  Cook was a result of Allen's ability to improvise.  

Here is a great site.  

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-wr.php

Diggs obviously is tops on the Bills, but this too is how his routes develop and how Allen's skills are utilized. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.