1981 Broncos at Bills

Gregg

Good find.  I was at this game and when you look back, how strange it is to see hardly anyone in the stands wearing NFL gear.  There's a hat or t-shirt here or there, but nothing like today, where everyone is decked out in jerseys, hoodies, etc.  Also, nice Haven Moses sightings.  

9 hours ago, Gregg said:

I actually remember this game. The Bills win 9-7 on three Nick Mick-Myer FG's and the last one came on the final play of the game. 

The simplicity of the graphics and lack of hype always amaze me about this era.

Bills vs. Rams 1980 was the 1st game I saw at stadium, 10-7 OT. The Phil Villapiano chorus line celebration after OT if I remember right. 

What I recall most though was when we walked through the corridor to get to our cheap seats, which even then was all my Dad & I could afford. The amazing green glow of the field, how bright green it was. Like the original movie The Fog when the mist blew in.

I saw only sports highlights of the field at that point in my life. TV did not do justice how glowing that field was in person. 

On a side note, it was the 1st time I ever heard my father use the F word. We parked, had our sandwiches, snack's, Harvey's Bristol Cream for nipping ( I was a gangly new teen at the time) etc... My father pats his coat pocket and says... " Don't forget the F ing tickets! 😀 First time I ever heard him say it.

For the record, about 1000X since that game 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Gregg said:

I actually remember this game. The Bills win 9-7 on three Nick Mike-Myer* FG's and the last one came on the final play of the game. 

I don't have the time to watch this video but reading the name Mike-Mayer triggered a flashback.

Goddamn this man lasted 10 years in the league with a career 56% FG rate and in that time only made 1 kick over 50 yds. 

A different time.

On a Chuck Knox Superbowl team.

25 minutes ago, QCity said:

I don't have the time to watch this video but reading the name Mike-Mayer triggered a flashback.

Goddamn this man lasted 10 years in the league with a career 56% FG rate and in that time only made 1 kick over 50 yds. 

A different time.

I skipped to the end and the announcers were saying it was "probably the best game in the NFL this season". The idea of a 7-9 game being labelled as great these days is unthinkable, but back then people really appreciated a tight defensive battle. I always liked those games myself, especially in the playoffs. But as you say, a different time.

3 hours ago, QCity said:

A different time.

Speaking of different times, check this out: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1980.htm and https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/1981.htm. Joe Cribbs had SIXTEEN (!!!) fumbles in the 1980 season and TWELVE the next season. Those numbers are ridiculous! He'd have been on the street pronto in this era. Latavius Murray has fumbled once in his last 738 carries!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.