Bills-Jets week 1

Pete

4 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Personally, I don't even care about all the controversy earlier this year.  I never liked Budweiser and don't care for any light beers, even Labatt Blue Light. (Regular Blue is great, though).  Although, light beer does remind me of a great Monty Python joke...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8aPABF7nW4

The CEO of Guinness, the CEO of Anheiser-Busch and the CEO of Molson-Coors are at an industry conference and go out to lunch.  The server takes their order:  The AB head says "I'll have a Budweiser - King of Beers".  The Molson-Coors head says "I'll have a Miller - High Life".   The Guinness CEO says "just water".  The other two execs ask "why aren't you going to have a Guinness?"  He replies "I thought if you chaps weren't going to drink beer, I wouldn't either".

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

My absolute favorite strain of post on this board is when a poster spends every waking hour of their life countersignaling anything written here that is positive about any aspect of the Bills, and never has a post that isn't a complaint or flippantly negative, and then comes into a prediction or game thread and says "unfortunately" or "I hate to say it, but" followed by a declaration that the Bills are going to lose or miss the playoffs or something, without fail making it clear that this is not actually a prediction but a declaration of what WILL happen and there is just nothing they can do about it 

Yeah buddy, im sure it was your least favorite thing in the world to type that out, I'm sure it just pained you

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The Bills overall record against the Jets since Allen was drafted is 7-3, but Allen didn't play 1 of the losses and 1 of the wins

It's probably more reasonable to ask how Allen has played since Saleh took over as Jets HC

Game 1 Bills 45 Jets 17.  Allen 21 of 28 (75%) for 366 yds 2 TD 1 INT rushing 2 for 3 yd, 0 TD  Sacked 0 times.

Game 2 Bills 27 Jets 10.  Allen 25 of 46 (54%) for 254 yds 2 TD 0 INT rushing 5 for 63 including 32 yd long run  Sacked 0 times.

Game 1 Bills 17 Jets 20.  Allen 18 of 34 (53%) for 204 yds 0 TD 2 INT rusning 9 for 86 yd, 2 TD.  This was the game Allen was sacked 5 times and injured UCL

Game 2 Bills 20 Jets 12  Allen 16 of 27 (59%) for 147 yds 1 TD 0 INT  rushing 10 for 47 yd, 1 TD  3 sacks.

Looks to me like he had 1 poor game out of 4 in the last 2 years.  Also looked to me like if the OL keeps him clean, we're good.

Perhaps you might want to explain what you mean by "plays terrible"

feels

it's all feels and no facts

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

My absolute favorite strain of post on this board is when a poster spends every waking hour of their life countersignaling anything written here that is positive about any aspect of the Bills, and never has a post that isn't a complaint or flippantly negative, and then comes into a prediction or game thread and says "unfortunately" or "I hate to say it, but" followed by a declaration that the Bills are going to lose or miss the playoffs or something, without fail making it clear that this is not actually a prediction but a declaration of what WILL happen and there is just nothing they can do about it 

Yeah buddy, im sure it was your least favorite thing in the world to type that out, I'm sure it just pained you

those are my favorite...

the bills will loose 57-3, von miller will retire at half time and josh allen will get hit by lightning.  hope i'm wrong!

• Haha (+1) 4

27 minutes ago, arcane said:

EXACTLY.

"Someone here has to be realistic in this board filled with homers. I'm telling it like it is."

Yeah like this place is a font of positivity which needs to be reigned in by level-headed takes of the Bills being in the bottom half of the league at every position.

Bills 2-15 on the season

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

EXACTLY.

"Someone here has to be realistic in this board filled with homers. I'm telling it like it is."

Yeah like this place is a font of positivity which needs to be reigned in by level-headed takes of the Bills being in the bottom half of the league at every position.

Bills 2-15 on the season

I think that many posters/fans are basing their takes on recency. The last time we all watched our beloved Bills in a game that mattered, they were manhandled by the Bengals and looked completely uninspired and didn’t really belong in that game. There were a lot of factors that played into that, but the questions linger until we see them hit the field. If you aren’t approaching Monday with even a bit of trepidation, then I envy you. As an optimist, I have definite high hopes. But I am still nervous AF.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I think that many posters/fans are basing their takes on recency. The last time we all watched our beloved Bills in a game that mattered, they were manhandled by the Bengals and looked completely uninspired and didn’t really belong in that game. There were a lot of factors that played into that, but the questions linger until we see them hit the field. If you aren’t approaching Monday with even a bit of trepidation, then I envy you. As an optimist, I have definite high hopes. But I am still nervous AF.

There's that, but there's also the negative coverage, as witnessed by several threads here and the astounding belief a surprising number of folks here expressed in them.  People say they "think for themselves" but especially if someone is kicked out of media that requires any source-checking and is now running their own vlog or podcast, a lot of folks somehow find that more credible and actually give more weight to it.

32 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

EXACTLY.

Bills 2-15 on the season

What gets me is the stuff about certain takes are "not allowed".  One recent was "we can only criticize the WR".  Like, what board are you reading, dude, there are threads criticizing Allen, the MLB, Brown, Elam, McDermott, Dorsey - basically if it moves and it's connected to the Bills someone will criticize it. 

People confuse "not allowed" with "draws rebuttal" or "draws criticism" I guess; what they really mean isn't that their take is somehow disallowed, but that if they make it, others will refute it or argue with it and they don't like that.  Durrrr, that's called discussion, and it's what the board is all about.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

On 9/5/2023 at 8:36 PM, Airseven said:

Their defense, top to bottom, will be one of the best in the NFL. And that secondary allows them to bring an aggressive pass rush. Allen will have happy feet by the second drive, but hopefully he can muster a few big plays to keep it close.

Lol the jets literally blitzed at the lowest rate in the league last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/opp.htm

I’ll never understand why so many people on this board insist on flat out lying about stuff that can be proved wrong with a 60 second google search.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Beck Water said:

LOL Kyle Brandt playing both sides, pretending to be a Bills fan while sucking up Aaron Rodgers.

Kyle, man, he's won league MVP 2 out of the last 3 seasons, that's hardly an edgy or ground-breaking prediction.  The Jets even signed 2 of his receivers.

Ha he picked US to win the SB today. 

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Lol the jets literally blitzed at the lowest rate in the league last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/opp.htm

I’ll never understand why so many people on this board insist on flat out lying about stuff that can be proved wrong with a 60 second google search.

I hate to put myself in the position of seeming to agree with Airseven, but aggressive pass rush is more than blitzing.

It's also being able to bring effective presssure with 4 - which is one of McDermott's Holy Grails of Great Defense.

So, for example, while you're correct that the Jets blitzed at the lowest rate in the league - they brought pressure (hurries + knockdowns + sacks) at the 3rd HIGHEST % in the league, and only 0.2% behind the Cowboys and Eagles (see your same link for this)

As far as being able to be effective at bringing pressure with the front 4 - there are a couple additional things that allow this, it's not just a "great secondary".  The defense has to be able to cover the quick pass, and the defense has to walk the line between being aggressive in penetration vs. being over-aggressive and vulnerable to the run.  And, of course, with a running QB, they have to be able to contain the QB in the backfield.

Three things that allowed the Jets to contain the Bills offense effectively last season were 1) learning to limit Josh Allen (though 9 for 86 in their 1st game of 2022 isn't all that contained, they did better in the 2nd game 2) the fact that the Bills had a poor run game, so the Jets had nothing to lose by being aggressive 3) the fact the the Bills didn't have a strong quick passing game that could make the Jets pay for any coverage lapse over the middle or lack of contain.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Micah Hyde to be "limited" in practice today

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.