Film Session With An Amateur: Bills/Bears

BillsShredder83

Going back and watching the game since i missed it yesterday. I've never done one of these posts, and admittedly am an amateur.  These type of posts are usually my favorite as a reader, Wont be able to do whole game, but re-watching each play and 1 player at a time to see how our OL/DL looks, and include things that stuck out.  My main focus was how we looked in the trenches, although i include a few other things that jumped out at me. I might come back and update this when I have more time... but so far Bills  and Bears First Two Possessions.....

BILLS D FIRST POSSESSION (3 and out i think, was a short drive if im wrong, i forgot lol)

-Boogie looks like he majorly changed his body composition. not only doesnt look fat, but looks built like a brick shiz house. Saw him out there first play and couldnt see name/number, and was like who the hell is that??? What a great surprise, hopefully translates this year.

-Daquan ate several double teams, one of those reps wasnt exactly a pressure, but got good penetration, and him getting his hands out caused an incompletion. Nice

BILLS OFF FIRST DRIVE (Nice TD Drive)

-Harty is an explosive route runner, so fast and change of direction is sudden. If he stays healthy hes going to have a nice year for us

-Torrence is a monster in the run game. Above average pass blocker right now, and expect him to improve as the year goes on, but he did give up 2 pressures

-Edwards looks like great depth piece, this OL wouldve been a lot better had he started here last year. Think McGovern will be a stud, so there is a drop off, however, he wont be a liability.  Looked good on the drive, made smart decisions. Came in and pancaked Dawkins man when he realized he was freed up. Also, saw a play he was helping out Dion, Dion had the guy locked up well, so he slid over to help Morse out on a rep

-Diggs/Davis had a real nice rub play, they both ended up open even though Diggs got the ball.

-Dawkins looked lost on a few plays. Specifically a Cook run on first down that got blown up. Morse-Torrence-Brown did their jobs well, but 2 defenders came in off left side, basically untouched while Dion was looking around for someone to block. Not Edwards best rep either, but Dion looked worse

-Camera work was awful on broadcast. Few plays they were zoomed out way tooooo far. Then a weird one where pre-snap, they were zoomed way the hell in, all you could see was like the tops of the helmets, they transitioned to a regular view, but the play hadyard alraedy developed. I remember last season the NFL suddenly having bad camera work quite a bit.

Also, the broadcast just sucked a lot last year. I remember frequently wanting to see a replay of a big play, and theyre zoomed in on sideline not showing the play, then the next play starts, like - oh i guess nobody wanted to see that play again? Was weird as i dont ever remember this being more than a one-off thing the rest of my life.  Hopefully they get it figured out

-Morse is so solid, he did a great job of looking for work on plays where he didnt end up having a man

-Gabes drop sucked, ughhhh. Probably a few ppl on here thought he had two, but the second one was nice defense break up. He somewhat made up for it with 2 catches though (1? i forget, was focused on line play mostly)

-Few plays before the Harris TD, Kink drew a holding penalty. That was 100% a TD for him had it not happened

-Good to finally see Harris out there. OL did a great job blowing their man up and opening that hole for TD

DEFENSE 2ND SERIES (another quick series)

-Oliver - It was noticeable on the first series to, but he looks really good. Looks like the disruptor we drafted (and extended).  We've seen flashes of this before but he looks as good as he did  early last year when he was a monster. Just about beating his guy off the snap, first step is both quick and explosive, his man is already going backwards from there. 

Hungry to make plays, hes in the backfield almost every play.  Will note it here, on the 3rd drive he creates serious pressure on a play, QB steps to other side of pocket in a way where Ed's almost out of the play (having already done his job), and he turns on the burners and chases him like I've never seen lol

-Floyd gets in backfield on a run, tackles already been made, and an OL innocently enough sort of has a hand on his shoulder from behind, and he whips around, and gets in his face. Absolutely love that fire, is contagious on the field

-Rousseau on this drive (a short one) is in a 2pt stance twice.  Cant say i remember him doing much of this last year?

BILLS 2ND POSSESSION OFFENSE (Ends on Kyle Allen INT)

- Saw Kincaid execute a real nice chip block! If he gets that up to speed fast, we may never leave 12 personnel

-Speaking of 12 personnel. I was zoned in on Kincaid the first time I watched this play. On 2nd review of same play, KNOX ABSOLUTELY OBLITERATES HIS MAN ON A QUICK CHIP BLOCK! JUST WOWWWWWWW.  Our two stud TE's helped a pretty nice 19yard completion to Sherfield develop on this play

-Sherfield decides to return the favor to the rest of offense. He's motioned from outside in tight next to TE on the line.  Man he's strong. His block ends up turning what would've been a negative yard run from Cook, into a 5-6yarder.  While he might not exactly turn into a fan favorite, he's already a coaching staff favorite with what he brings to run game, they love that stuff.

He also gets downfield to lockup a man in the secondary a few plays later. What a freaking upgrade from Touchdown False-Profit Kumerow.  He's a stud blocker, and he actually can make plays to catch. He's going to see a lot of playing time this year!

-Buffalo runs a very well executed screen to Cook. Right side of the line holds up strong, and Dion does a great job selling it! He came out of his stance VERY SLOW, looked like he didnt know the snap count, and his man took the bait.  Now the play came back on a ticky tack block in the back on Edwards, great play, well executed. My God, if this team figured out a screen game, it will be the first time Ive seen it in my life!

-Drive ends on a Kyle Allen interception... Brown really struggles with his man, getting drove straight back into the QB. Ugly rep for him. The good news is Josh would've never let that man pressure him like Kyle did, and there's no way he's throwing the ball where Kyle did. It was across the field with a man draped all over him (might have been Gabe, but not his fault at all)

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

49 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

-Dawkins looked lost on a few plays. Specifically a Cook run on first down that got blown up. Morse-Torrence-Brown did their jobs well, but 2 defenders came in off left side, basically untouched while Dion was looking around for someone to block. Not Edwards best rep either, but Dion looked worse

I also was confused by that play and went back to take a look after the game. After watching the replay, I'm not sure if it's definitely Dawkins' fault. Both Dawkins and Edward went to the 2nd level and ended up blocking the same player. It's not clear to me which one of them should stay to block one of the defenders (and leave another one for Gilliam). It may not necessary be Dawkins, By the way Gilliam was running and blocking, it could be Edwards missing assignment instead.

snap1.jpg

snap2.jpg

snap3.jpg

snap4.jpg

snap5.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What’s all this talk about Sherfield?  He’s this years version of Tavon Austin didn’t you know?

Isn't he our #3 receiver? He should be a decent part of the offense this year, I think. Plus, he is a good run blocker and a special teamer.

35 minutes ago, syhuang said:

I also was confused by that play and went back to take a look after the game. After watching the replay, I'm not sure if it's definitely Dawkins' fault. Both Dawkins and Edward went to the 2nd level and ended up blocking the same player. It's not clear to me which one of them should stay to block one of the defenders (and leave another one for Gilliam). It may not necessary be Dawkins, By the way Gilliam was running and blocking, it could be Edwards missing assignment instead.

snap1.jpg

snap2.jpg

snap3.jpg

snap4.jpg

snap5.jpg

Yeah, that looks like the LG's fault to me, but who knows?

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Hmm. Looks like the LTs to me. Of the three defenders at the second level they both end up blocking the one furthest to the inside. I would think that was the guard's responsibility and Dion should be blocking one of the outside guys. But equally without the play call hard to know. It might even be that it was a called combination block on the guy they block and they think the two outside guys are irrelevant because the play is designed to go up the gut. But because 93 penetrates Cook has to bounce (which wasn't the design) and therefore the two 2nd level players on the outside are still in the play.

Clearly something didn't quite work as called but hard to identify what. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Going back and watching the game since i missed it yesterday. I've never done one of these posts, and admittedly am an amateur.  These type of posts are usually my favorite as a reader, Wont be able to do whole game, but re-watching each play and 1 player at a time to see how our OL/DL looks, and include things that stuck out.  My main focus was how we looked in the trenches, although i include a few other things that jumped out at me. I might come back and update this when I have more time... but so far Bills  and Bears First Two Possessions.....

BILLS D FIRST POSSESSION (3 and out i think, was a short drive if im wrong, i forgot lol)

-Boogie looks like he majorly changed his body composition. not only doesnt look fat, but looks built like a brick shiz house. Saw him out there first play and couldnt see name/number, and was like who the hell is that??? What a great surprise, hopefully translates this year.

-Daquan ate several double teams, one of those reps wasnt exactly a pressure, but got good penetration, and him getting his hands out caused an incompletion. Nice

BILLS OFF FIRST DRIVE (Nice TD Drive)

-Harty is an explosive route runner, so fast and change of direction is sudden. If he stays healthy hes going to have a nice year for us

-Torrence is a monster in the run game. Above average pass blocker right now, and expect him to improve as the year goes on, but he did give up 2 pressures

-Edwards looks like great depth piece, this OL wouldve been a lot better had he started here last year. Think McGovern will be a stud, so there is a drop off, however, he wont be a liability.  Looked good on the drive, made smart decisions. Came in and pancaked Dawkins man when he realized he was freed up. Also, saw a play he was helping out Dion, Dion had the guy locked up well, so he slid over to help Morse out on a rep

-Diggs/Davis had a real nice rub play, they both ended up open even though Diggs got the ball.

-Camera work was awful on broadcast. Few plays they were zoomed out way tooooo far. Then a weird one where pre-snap, they were zoomed way the hell in, all you could see was like the tops of the helmets, they transitioned to a regular view, but the play hadyard alraedy developed. I remember last season the NFL suddenly having bad camera work quite a bit.

Also, the broadcast just sucked a lot last year. I remember frequently wanting to see a replay of a big play, and theyre zoomed in on sideline not showing the play, then the next play starts, like - oh i guess nobody wanted to see that play again? Was weird as i dont ever remember this being more than a one-off thing the rest of my life.  Hopefully they get it figured out

-Morse is so solid, he did a great job of looking for work on plays where he didnt end up having a man

-Gabes drop sucked, ughhhh. Probably a few ppl on here thought he had two, but the second one was nice defense break up. He somewhat made up for it with 2 catches though (1? i forget, was focused on line play mostly)

-Few plays before the Harris TD, Kink drew a holding penalty. That was 100% a TD for him had it not happened

-Good to finally see Harris out there. OL did a great job blowing their man up and opening that hole for TD

DEFENSE 2ND SERIES (another quick series)

-Oliver - It was noticeable on the first series to, but he looks really good. Looks like the disruptor we drafted (and extended).  We've seen flashes of this before but he looks as good as he did  early last year when he was a monster. Just about beating his guy off the snap, first step is both quick and explosive, his man is already going backwards from there. 

Hungry to make plays, hes in the backfield almost every play.  Will note it here, on the 3rd drive he creates serious pressure on a play, QB steps to other side of pocket in a way where Ed's almost out of the play (having already done his job), and he turns on the burners and chases him like I've never seen lol

-Floyd gets in backfield on a run, tackles already been made, and an OL innocently enough sort of has a hand on his shoulder from behind, and he whips around, and gets in his face. Absolutely love that fire, is contagious on the field

-Rousseau on this drive (a short one) is in a 2pt stance twice.  Cant say i remember him doing much of this last year?

BILLS 2ND POSSESSION OFFENSE (Ends on Kyle Allen INT)

- Saw Kincaid execute a real nice chip block! If he gets that up to speed fast, we may never leave 12 personnel

-Speaking of 12 personnel. I was zoned in on Kincaid the first time I watched this play. On 2nd review of same play, KNOX ABSOLUTELY OBLITERATES HIS MAN ON A QUICK CHIP BLOCK! JUST WOWWWWWWW.  Our two stud TE's helped a pretty nice 19yard completion to Sherfield develop on this play

-Sherfield decides to return the favor to the rest of offense. He's motioned from outside in tight next to TE on the line.  Man he's strong. His block ends up turning what would've been a negative yard run from Cook, into a 5-6yarder.  While he might not exactly turn into a fan favorite, he's already a coaching staff favorite with what he brings to run game, they love that stuff.

He also gets downfield to lockup a man in the secondary a few plays later. What a freaking upgrade from Touchdown False-Profit Kumerow.  He's a stud blocker, and he actually can make plays to catch. He's going to see a lot of playing time this year!

-Buffalo runs a very well executed screen to Cook. Right side of the line holds up strong, and Dion does a great job selling it! He came out of his stance VERY SLOW, looked like he didnt know the snap count, and his man took the bait.  Now the play came back on a ticky tack block in the back on Edwards, great play, well executed. My God, if this team figured out a screen game, it will be the first time Ive seen it in my life!

-Drive ends on a Kyle Allen interception... Brown really struggles with his man, getting drove straight back into the QB. Ugly rep for him. The good news is Josh would've never let that man pressure him like Kyle did, and there's no way he's throwing the ball where Kyle did. It was across the field with a man draped all over him (might have been Gabe, but not his fault at all)

This is well written up until the bolded

I watched this play 10 times. So much hate on Brown without fact checking what happens on these plays. 

Before the ball was thrown Kyle had 4 seconds to that point that he blocked the DT. now they were getting close but brown still had position for the QB to drop inside UNTILL Torrence let a already WELL chipped DE by Kincaid get right by him. Kyle Allen made the wrong play. If he simply looked tot he right friggen Kincaid is WIDE OPEN no one within 15 yards on the right flat. Kyle Allen made the wrong decision on that throw and it was really Torrence that had a charging DE coming at him that he did not pick up.

To Chicago's Credit they played a great stunt against our line and to Kincaids credit, he originally picked it up and got wide open 4 yards deep into the flat on the right side. Kyle cant step up into that throw because of Torrence more than Brown on that play. 

To much blind hate going on with Brown... QB made the wrong decision on that throw. 

OH and who was brown stuck blocking on his won? DT Walker, 7 sacks last year 

By the way also on that play Torrence originally helped Brown cover that DT like he should have but he released way to late to grab the DE. Rookie mistake... he going to have them. Though Torrence is solid, the speed of the game will still take time.

Edited by PrimeTime101
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

That rub play featured perennial pro bowl linebacker Tremaine Edmunds completely bumbling up his coverage and ending the play 12 yards from any receiver.   Two plays later he also whiffed on a tackle of Harty.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

No, that’s Andy Isabella. Unless someone said Sherfield isn’t making the team?

A usual suspect said that Trent is this years Tavon Austin 

8 hours ago, MJS said:

Isn't he our #3 receiver? He should be a decent part of the offense this year, I think. Plus, he is a good run blocker and a special teamer.

I was just being sarcastic.  Sherfield is decent

13 hours ago, syhuang said:

snap1.jpg

snap2.jpg

snap3.jpg

snap4.jpg

snap5.jpg

Oddly enough another poster was working on a similar post as mine at the same time last night... i dont know how to quote a post from another thread, but @LeGOATski had a theory, cant say I know its correct, but logical enough for me:

"This is a high risk, high reward run play by design. It's a calculated release. They're hoping Cook makes a man miss and if he does everyone at the 2nd level is blocked. If he doesn't it's a short loss or no gain. I'm okay with that gamble when they have a shifty RB. It looks weird but it's not a mistake, as far as I know."

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.