Hurricane Hilary in LA

Gregg

2 hours ago, UConn James said:

Wow. It helps the historic drought situation of the last decade+ I imagine but it happening feast-or-famine is always terrible.

I think the biggest question is, how much of it can they capture? It would be nice if something good came from the devastation. 

I’ll still take water over fire. When our kids were young they would do “would you rather face a bear or a shark?”  Or any other horrific situation. I’m good on the couch, thanks. 

Edited by Augie

the media hoopla leading up to this storm was incredible. I live in a non flood zone type area but I was prepping for wind possible damage. Nothing drastic just common sense stuff like put our outdoor furniture away, pool toys and stuff like that.

What actually transpired where I live inland from Del Mar we received a steady rainfall. That was it. No wind whatsoever.

The media couldn't predict which path the storm would take. We were spared damage and Im grateful. 

and Yes, most rainfall goes straight into the street utters which flow to the ocean. But just receiving such a rainfall as this will curtail people from needing to water their non desert style landscaping. So there is that. 

just a sidenote. But did you all know that State Farm insurance will no longer issue homeowners insurance in the state of California. They apparently don''t like paying for fires and such weather type damage.  

8 hours ago, muppy said:

the media hoopla leading up to this storm was incredible. I live in a non flood zone type area but I was prepping for wind possible damage. Nothing drastic just common sense stuff like put our outdoor furniture away, pool toys and stuff like that.

What actually transpired where I live inland from Del Mar we received a steady rainfall. That was it. No wind whatsoever.

The media couldn't predict which path the storm would take. We were spared damage and Im grateful. 

and Yes, most rainfall goes straight into the street utters which flow to the ocean. But just receiving such a rainfall as this will curtail people from needing to water their non desert style landscaping. So there is that. 

just a sidenote. But did you all know that State Farm insurance will no longer issue homeowners insurance in the state of California. They apparently don''t like paying for fires and such weather type damage.  

Similar in Florida. I don’t think they let them insure cars and other things there as a result. We had State Farm when a storm dropped a tree on our roof in FL 20+ years ago. It ruined one slope of an expensive tile roof that could no longer be matched. They would only pay for the broken slope despite the whole roof needing replacement. They paid about $4k and despite fighting it we had to pay for the other $24k. Then we moved to Cincinnati Insurance. The wife called SF and asked why we shouldn’t change. She was told they had no answer for her. 

8 hours ago, muppy said:

Just a sidenote. But did you all know that State Farm insurance will no longer issue homeowners insurance in the state of California. They apparently don''t like paying for fires and such weather type damage.  

The state and local govs have done NOTHING about mitigating wildfire possibility. Not clearing trees from the routes of lines, not upgrading the  lines, and not making it mandatory that a clear space  is present around houses. SF said F it.

Edited by Wacka

12 hours ago, Augie said:

Similar in Florida. I don’t think they let them insure cars and other things there as a result. We had State Farm when a storm dropped a tree on our roof in FL 20+ years ago. It ruined one slope of an expensive tile roof that could no longer be matched. They would only pay for the broken slope despite the whole roof needing replacement. They paid about $4k and despite fighting it we had to pay for the other $24k. Then we moved to Cincinnati Insurance. The wife called SF and asked why we shouldn’t change. She was told they had no answer for her. 

Why would they pay so much simply for aesthetics?

Like car insurance, all the companies are keeping track together on what they are paying out. They know who the liabilities are... They were probably just being polite.  

Too many people living in the danger zones. Either they raise premiums or simply don't insure.

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Like car insurance, all the companies are keeping track together on what they are paying out. They know who the liabilities are... They were probably just being polite.  

Too many people living in the danger zones. Either they raise premiums or simply don't insure.

good to see someone’s looking out for the insurance companies 🤦🏼‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

good to see someone’s looking out for the insurance companies 🤦🏼‍♂️

They gotta make money too... Can't lose their shirts because things don't look perfect. They will just raise premiums for everyone the more they pay out.  I can live with @Augie's tile roof not exactly matching.😜

😏

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Vomit 1

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Because it wasn’t a trailer park and I’d have been sued by the HOA to correct the roof. If they replace a fender on your car, you’d expect them to paint it, right? That is part of what you are paying for. Other insurers did the right thing and replaced the entire roofs for our neighbors. 

49 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

They gotta make money too... Can't lose their shirts because things don't look perfect. They will just raise premiums for everyone the more they pay out.  I can live with @Augie's tile roof not exactly matching.😜

😏

It wouldn’t “not exactly match”, they didn’t make anything like that anymore. It would have been two very different things. 

On 8/22/2023 at 4:40 AM, muppy said:

It's all Patrick Mahomes' fault.

On 8/22/2023 at 7:40 AM, muppy said:

La casa de verano de Muppito 

IMG_8322.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.