Cap Dollars - Von Miller or FA OL improvement

LabattBlue

How to spend FA $$$   

81 members have voted

1. 1. Von Miller or OL

Always meh on Miller. His best years are long gone. He has always been some sort of weird hype machine for himself since coming out and disrespecting Brees and veteran players. Dude is a gimmick.

But everyone seems to love him. Especially himself.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

Always meh on Miller. His best years are long gone. He has always been some sort of weird hype machine for himself since coming out and disrespecting Brees and veteran players. Dude is a gimmick.

But everyone seems to love him. Especially himself.

I mean.. what did you see from him before his injury that makes you think his best years are behind him?

At least “behind him” in the sense you seem to be implying.  

He was on his way to being one of the top pass rushers in the league prior to that.   Same as he’s always been.  

Is he prime Bosa or Parsons right now? No.. but he’s in that next tier.   At least, was.. we’ll see how he returns. 

2 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Not a fan of hindsight stuff like this, when we were trying to sign von we were not a OT away from the SB, we were a game impacting pass rusher away from a SB. 

It's really easy to look back after vons injury and think O line would have been better move. But if von stayed healthy we probably aren't having this conversation.

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Ah, revisionist history after one bad preseason game, fun.

Ok, let’s go back in time.

At the beginning of last season, did you feel comfortable having AJ Epenesa as your starting Defensive End across from Groot with Boogie and Shaq as backups?

Sure you did…. and I’m sure everyone also thought signing an expensive Right Tackle and sending our 3rd round pick, who showed upside in his rookie year, right to the bench.

Who needs a half of fame DE when you can have Epenesa as your starter coming off 2.5 sacks his first two years?

Beane made the right move, it just didn’t work out because Brown didn’t take a step and Von got hurt. Don’t play this stupid revisionist history game.

It is post like these which are logically flawed. Take that money and spend it on the OL, try to develop young pass guys, and work on finding diamonds in the rough.

Just because we wouldn't have signed Miller doesn't mean we would have been inactive.  Id have kept Hughes, got Lawson, and sought a veteran stop gap/young player to rotate.

I was fine with overrated Saffold for 1 year, too. I had hoped he wouldn't start. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I mean.. what did you see from him before his injury that makes you think his best years are behind him?

At least “behind him” in the sense you seem to be implying.  

He was on his way to being one of the top pass rushers in the league prior to that.   Same as he’s always been.  

Is he prime Bosa or Parsons right now? No.. but he’s in that next tier.   At least, was.. we’ll see how he returns. 

His best is behind him because the odds of injury go up significantly, his quickness and explosiveness will take a radical downturn, and overall we played for the player he was and not the player he will be.  If he was a player here from the start, or a veteran with the organization I think slightly differently. You earned your "process" and that gives you credit.

Miller is just a merc.

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Well, we have been linked to Jason Peters. ;)

He’s probably the best available FA and I doubt anyone is going to trade a good tackle.  Sign me up

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

It is post like these which are logically flawed. Take that money and spend it on the OL, try to develop young pass guys, and work on finding diamonds in the rough.

Just because we wouldn't have signed Miller doesn't mean we would have been inactive.  Id have kept Hughes, got Lawson, and sought a veteran stop gap/young player to rotate.

I was fine with overrated Saffold for 1 year, too. I had hoped he wouldn't start. 

His best is behind him because the odds of injury go up significantly, his quickness and explosiveness will take a radical downturn, and overall we played for the player he was and not the player he will be.  If he was a player here from the start, or a veteran with the organization I think slightly differently. You earned your "process" and that gives you credit.

Miller is just a merc.

Miller is a SB winning merc.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, boyst said:

Miller is just a merc.

Someone call Brandon Beane, we got a new GM available to start immediately. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rigotz said:

Someone call Brandon Beane, we got a new GM available to start immediately. 

I need to put in my two weeks first and then need to arrange benefits package. I also want a week between the jobs to rest.

Besides, I don't think they can afford me 

I don’t think it’s the one move that was the problem, it’s so much invested into DL in the draft and FA and we still have inconsistent results. McD is a D coach and he’s gonna get what he wants for that side of the ball. Sadly the misfires have led to bargain basement shopping on the offensive side of the ball. If we didn’t have Josh I think this team would be a ***** mess. They core is getting older and they keep bringing in cheap vets because the young guys are not getting the job done. 

Everyone keeps sucking McDs dick about how good he develops secondary but when Hyde went down it was a disaster. Then Poyer got dinged up and it got worse. We had guys sitting behind them for a number of years and they were terrible. We couldn’t let a 31 year old safety go because they have no replacements. Safety is one of the easiest position ls to fill.  Then you got Wallace, he wasn’t great but he is head over heels better than Jackson, Benford and Elam.  

Younger talent gotta start making an impact for this team to improve. Kincaid and Torrence look like a step in the right direction for O but nothing is happening right now to help that D. 

Edited by BananaB

Back to my post on the draft. From 2019-2022 Beane has 17/31 players drafted still on this roster. He’s flat out missed on a good number of picks. Meanwhile the Chiefs and Bengals have succeeded.

2019-2022 Drafts

Chiefs 22/28 = .785

Bengals 24/33 = .727

Bills 17/31 .548

Beane has to do better. 

5 hours ago, Araiza Curse said:

Oline. Just out score everyone. Get a 1B wr to pair with Diggs. 

Above average Oline, 1B wr, and Kincaid means Super Bowl. It’s exactly why I wanted to sign Hopkins. 

Get a top oline don't need Hopkins the wr Corp will be improved just on protection giving routes as much time needed to get open

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.