Bills practice Thurs 8/17 starting with McD interview

Beck Water

38 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is true.  It was noticeable last season.  At least it looked that way to me, even though rushing yards allowed per attempt were essentially the same both seasons.  

These discussions about the MLB have me beginning to wonder if the MLB is the least important player on defense.  

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.....

Generally respect you, Shaw, but....Lawdy

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

Didn't Bucs LB Devin White request a trade earlier this offseason. I don't know what it would cost but maybe Beane should kick the tires and see if a deal could be made.

If I’m the Bucs, I’m trading him 💯

I hear that he wants to be the highest paid off all LB and he’s not worth it. Not even close 

I’d take him for the year and get a comp pick for losing him next

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Sherfield is a proven STer who played 611 snaps on offense last year, excels at downfield blocking, and had 30 receptions for 411 yds.  That's as proven as you're gonna get on the low-budget side of the FA market.  He was intended as Kumerow's replacement with an upgrade at playing receiver.  I think he hits that mark.

When you look at Harty, the Bills offered him a 2 year, $9.5M contract with $5.25M guaranteed.  When a team pays a guy that much guaranteed money, they typically consider him a "lock" for a spot.  I agree with your point that his one year of decent production and his injury history make him far from a sure bet as an available contributor, but yeah.

Shakir is interesting.  We have him for cheap for the next 2 years, and he showed some abilities to play in the NFL last season.  To push aside a guy like that, you have to either have this year's 5th rounder be lighting up practice (by all reports, he's not) OR bring in a FA who is lighting up practice,  Well, in Isabella, maybe they have - but he's had 4 years of "not much" in the league so one has to wonder if he's a training camp phenom.

If he plays well with Allen does it matter why it didn't work in AZ or the brief 2nd stop with Ravens?  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Special K said:

Last year, I wanted the Bills to draft Devin Lloyd instead of Kair Elam with their first round pick for exactly this reason.

They could have drafted a CB with their 3rd round pick instead of Bernard, and would have had Lloyd ready to go this year as the strarting MLB after a year of apprenticeship behind Edmunds and Milano.

Hindsight is 20/20, but this would have definitely been the better way to go, IMO.

I would’ve done the same and then tried to trade Edmunds for a 2nd rounder, but was told by many on this board during that time you don’t make that sort of move with a team on the cusp of a championship. With that 2nd rounder I would’ve gone after George Pickens, Cosell talked him up so much I thought he was potentially can’t miss.

In regards to Lloyd, I thought he could potentially be an upgrade to Edmunds, maybe not in his rookie year, but as the years go by. Also didn’t think we’d keep Edmunds, so it’s trading one expiring contract for another 5 cost controlled years. Tariq Woolen wasn’t drafted until the 5th round, so he could’ve been an option in the 3rd or 4th, depending how much the Bills liked him. Of course we would also end up with Benford and altogether that draft would’ve been a home run.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

He’s not wrong. This mlb talk is insane imo. I can think of just about any other position on d that is more important in todays nfl. 

I'm interested to know what in the history of the Bills defense these past 5 years, McDermott's tenure as a DC, or generally the history of the National Football League would lead you to this conclusion

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm beginning to wonder if the prototypical 6'2" #245 MLB is needed in today's modern NFL.

Thank you. It’s not imo. It’s a different league. Give me an arse kicking DT any day of the week over a prototypical mlb.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

If he plays well with Allen does it matter why it didn't work in AZ or the brief 2nd stop with Ravens?  

No, it doesn't, any more than it matters why Zay Jones squibbed with the Bills and took 3 years to "wake up and smell the coffee" with the Raiders, after he had a strong year with Jax.

But his 4 previous seasons of disappearing ink ARE reason to question whether what we're seeing from Isabella is pre-season heroism which will fade under the faster, more focused defensive play and film study of the regular season.

And sometimes "why?" is helpful to predict what's going to happen.  For example, Stevie Johnson had three 1000+ yard seasons with Chan Gailey's Bills and Ryan Fitzpatrick as his QB, then fell off to half the yardage and had his catch % drop under Marrone/EJ Manuel.  Why, because Gailey's "beat your man, get to the spot" version of an EP offense played to Stevie's strong release and unconventional route running.  When placed in an offense that demanded precise routes with good timing, he couldn't deliver.  So San Diego could have understood that and passed on bringing him in.

Reminder that the general consensus of last summer was that Isaiah McKenzie looked GREAT and was ready to walk on the field and take over for Beasley.  Regular season, results were far more mixed.  Why, teams were game planning for us, they were watching film, and McKenzie couldn't decode the zone defense and get on the same page about it with Allen.

So I think in predicting how Isabella may do here, it's relevant and even important to understand why he didn't work out with his 3 previous offensive coordinators (with a bit more depth than "Arizona's offense and Kyler Murray sucked" or "Greg Roman's passing offense sucked")

5 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

Any site with a up to date list of fa lbs?

Spotrac

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm interested to know what in the history of the Bills defense these past 5 years, McDermott's tenure as a DC, or generally the history of the National Football League would lead you to this conclusion

Give me an elite secondary, butt kicking DT, or blitzing DE over a mlb any day of the week. Not even a question imo in todays pass happy league. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm beginning to wonder if the prototypical 6'2" #245 MLB is needed in today's modern NFL.

the "prototypical 245 lb MLB", no. 

But it's a long step over a steep fall to go from that to "MLB is the least important defender" or "just about any other position is more important"

4 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Thank you. It’s not imo. It’s a different league. Give me an arse kicking DT any day of the week over a prototypical mlb.

A lighter faster MLB would be better fitted for the passing game.  So, it's all about a perceived deficit in the run game D.

Having some stout DTs, in my mind, would lessen that effect.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

Give me an elite secondary, butt kicking DT, or blitzing DE over a mlb any day of the week. Not even a question imo in todays pass happy league. 

I'm not against giving Dorian Williams a shot at MLB let the vets help him calling Def until he has it down.  I just would like to see what players are available not that I would know who among them is a fit for Bills d.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

A lighter faster MLB would be better fitted for the passing game.  So, it's all about a perceived deficit in the run game D.

Boom. I think the addition of ford and possible resurgence of settle and getting Jones back will be more critical for our d than a stinking mlb. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

the "prototypical 245 lb MLB", no. 

But it's a long step over a steep fall to go from that to "MLB is the least important defender" or "just about any other position is more important"

I can't speak for Shaw's comment but maybe what McDermott wants now is along the lines of what I'm saying.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

No, it doesn't, any more than it matters why Zay Jones squibbed with the Bills and took 3 years to "wake up and smell the coffee" with the Raiders, after he had a strong year with Jax.

But his 4 previous seasons of disappearing ink ARE reason to question whether what we're seeing from Isabella is pre-season heroism which will fade under the faster, more focused defensive play and film study of the regular season.

Reminder that the general consensus of last summer was that Isaiah McKenzie looked GREAT and was ready to walk on the field and take over for Beasley.

You love to argue about everything Ok, we get it, you don't believe Isabella has a shot and Zay Jones is unbelievable.  Good grief. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm fine with opponents running the ball while Allen and Co rack up points in less time.

Also someone suggested the will have Rapp in on certain downs.  Might be enough to limit runs as gains while still keeping opponents passes in check.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.....

Generally respect you, Shaw, but....Lawdy

Who are the NFL's game-changing middle linebackers?

Where is Ray Lewis, Brian Uhrlacher, even a Keuchle?   Defenses don't feature that kind of player any longer. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.