Really excited about the impact Conor McGovern signing that's barely talked about will have on the O

JerseyBills

13 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Yes but the truth is that Morse is near retirement. Our right tackle whom I really like being Spencer Brown, is a late round draft guy who has struggled with injuries and has been hit or miss between injuries and consistency. Those are the two next pieces that need to be addressed in either free agency or the draft and they will be fine for now but are definite needs moving forward.

Not disagreeing with you but Brown is not a late round guy he was drafted in round 3. 

22 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Top 5 offensive line in the league, certainly a top 10 unit right now? Not only are McGovern and Torrence playing well at guard but Dawkins is playing really well and Brown while still not good is at least less of a liability. 

I think having competent interior OL'men on both sides of Morse has made the entire group as a whole look better. This is the first time Josh has EVER had a group like this in front of him. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

I think having competent interior OL'men on both sides of Morse has made the entire group as a whole look better. This is the first time Josh has EVER had a group like this in front of him. 

The only time I can say Josh had a really good offensive line was briefly in 2021. In 2020 I think Josh also had average to above-average offensive line play (Anchored by great tackle play from Dawkins and D.Williams) and he turned in his best most consistent season. In 2021 the offensive line was a bit up and down as they were reshuffling some things and D.Willaims had a bit of regression. 

When they moved D.Williams inside, put rookie Spencer Brown at RT, and replaced Mongo with Bates, that offensive line was cooking great (I think Bates was inserted in week 16). Mitch and Dawkins were solid as usual, D.Williams was playing really well at guard, Bates was playing some great football at the other guard spot and Spencer Brown was a mauler in the ground game and decent in pass protection. 

We all see what Josh did to end the 2021 regular season and in those two playoff games. In that 5 game stretch, the Bills averaged 34.4 points made more impressive by the fact that they played a top 3 defense in the league twice (the Pats) including the game where they scored a TD on every single offensive drive. 

Josh the past three weeks with good offensive line play has looked like that Josh Allen again. Hopefully they can stay healthy and Brown can round into form some more. Brown is the weak link but he has looked decent at times, certainly far from the liability he was last season. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/3/2023 at 12:26 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

The extreme Spencer Brown hate from people like @Simon

You are 100% full of shlt. 

Here's a recent example of my "extreme hate" :lol:

On 9/26/2023 at 7:47PM, Simon said:

I really like Spencer Brown and am glad he is on the roster.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

You are 100% full of shlt. 

Here's a recent example of my "extreme hate" :lol:

On 9/26/2023 at 7:47PM, Simon said:

I really like Spencer Brown and am glad he is on the roster.

Yeah.......in the thread you CREATED about Spencer Brown being the biggest problem with the Bills offense.

By "hate" I don't mean personal hate..........I mean disdain for their performance.

And I don't believe it's accurate to say that he is "unchanged" because the quality of his play has improved.

But Brown is a work in progress.    

Like Glenn Parker........I suspect if the back injury doesn't take him down he will become a quality starting OL in the NFL for a long time.

Sucks that he came in having barely played in college and having played 7 on 7 football in HS but he's got the athletic talent and temperment to be very good(for a RT) and is gradually getting better.    

I wouldn't be opposed to benching him if he's outplayed but sometimes you gotta' draft and develop........and not use first round picks or spend top dollar.......on non-premium positions like RT.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And I don't believe it's accurate to say that he is "unchanged" because the quality of his play has improved.

I didn't say he was unchanged; I said it was unchanged that he is still the biggest problem with the Bills offense.

And he is.

Even against the Phish's banged up patchwork front, he still needed some help this weekend.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

but he's got the athletic talent and temperment

Love his temperament and character but I'm still not convinced he's a good enough athlete to be a quality OT at this level.

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I didn't say he was unchanged; I said it was unchanged that he is still the biggest problem with the Bills offense.

And he is.

Even against the Phish's banged up patchwork front, he still needed some help this weekend.

Love his temperament and character but I'm still not convinced he's a good enough athlete to be a quality OT at this level.

Be honest........when 5'11"  Damien Covington picked Glenn Parker up and body slammed him in camp and it was caught on video and replayed over and over on ESPN.......did you or did you not think that Parker wasn't long for the NFL?    The second act of his career turned out to be very good.

14 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Be honest........when 5'11"  Damien Covington picked Glenn Parker up and body slammed him in camp and it was caught on video and replayed over and over on ESPN.......did you or did you not think that Parker wasn't long for the NFL?    The second act of his career turned out to be very good.

That was probably 25-30 years ago and I don't recall seeing it (my TV rarely gets turned on except for Sundays at 1:00).

I doubt if a camp scrap would have had any effect on how I viewed a player, though.

I just can't make myself believe that Spencer Brown's feet will ever be good enough to be a reliable OT at this level.

So far, the Bills coaches seem to agree and I think that need to use an extra skill player to give him help is handicapping the offense at times.

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

That was probably 25-30 years ago and I don't recall seeing it (my TV rarely gets turned on except for Sundays at 1:00).

I doubt if a camp scrap would have had any effect on how I viewed a player, though.

I just can't make myself believe that Spencer Brown's feet will ever be good enough to be a reliable OT at this level.

So far, the Bills coaches seem to agree and I think that need to use an extra skill player to give him help is handicapping the offense at times.

It wasn't just a camp scrap.........it was the all-time Bills team fight moment.    Parker got dropped on his head by a man he outweighed by 100# and got cut soon after.   Bills fans were delighted because he didn't have the feet to play tackle, in their opinion.   KC got themselves a very good lineman..........Bills got Jerry Ostroski at RT for the next two years. :sick:

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It wasn't just a camp scrap.........it was the all-time Bills team fight moment.    Parker got dropped on his head by a man he outweighed by 100# and got cut soon after.   Bills fans were delighted because he didn't have the feet to play tackle, in their opinion.   KC got themselves a very good lineman..........Bills got Jerry Ostroski at RT for the next two years. :sick:

Sounds like quality entertainment; wish I could find a video.

fwiw, I don't think Spencer Brown is stupid or lazy or soft; half is problem is probably his length and there's just not much he can do about that.

On 10/2/2023 at 11:42 PM, Aurelius said:

Yes but the truth is that Morse is near retirement. Our right tackle whom I really like being Spencer Brown, is a late round draft guy who has struggled with injuries and has been hit or miss between injuries and consistency. Those are the two next pieces that need to be addressed in either free agency or the draft and they will be fine for now but are definite needs moving forward.

Whose truth? Yours?? Morse is on record saying he’ll play til he’s no longer wanted. He has a special needs son with a lifelong commitment and wants to make as much $$ as he can in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

I hope he gets better. He still has a long way to go. Same for Spencer Brown. The difference is Allen. He's not taking as many risks and dumping it off more. He doesn't hold the ball as long, so he's making his protectors look better. I remember how much better the OL looked when the nimble Flutie replaced the statuesque Rob Johnson. Same difference.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.