Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 1

GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He made two. One of which was a nice throw off a clearly bad read. I know it is Buffalo and I know weather but fundamentals > arm every time. And his fundamentals were atrocious.

1:00 - Easy throw, wide open man, knew where to put it in

1:10 - Here's the arm strength, he zipped this in there

2:00 - Another on target short throw for YAC. knew where to put it

2:26 - Missile. Barkley can't make this throw

Another dump off or two the the RBs I didn't include. 

Let's be fair here. Allen has tools that he can use. He needs to get the system down though, no doubt

• Like (+1) 1

At first glance, I though Van Demark was the worst player on the field. I didn’t rewatch and was there so maybe my perception is off. He played earlier than I expected but it appeared that he didn’t belong. I’m in agreement on everyone else. I’d add Tim Settle and Hamlin to the positive list. Settle made some plays.

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. That is what I saw as well. He didn't get beat. He got very clearly fouled. Was an obvious facemask penalty. I am all but certain when the Bills staff review they will just put a line through that play.

Like you I read a report from camp (but not from Astro) that RV was a guy to watch and I kept his name in the back of my mind.  I think he's a lock for the 53 because none of the other backup LTs (save possibly Gouraige, who played against scrubs) appears worthy of keeping.  I'd like to see them put Gouraige at RT.

3 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

1:00 - Easy throw, wide open man, knew where to put it in

1:10 - Here's the arm strength, he zipped this in there

2:00 - Another on target short throw for YAC. knew where to put it

2:26 - Missile. Barkley can't make this throw

Another dump off or two the the RBs I didn't include. 

Let's be fair here. Allen has tools that he can use. He needs to get the system down though, no doubt

Two good throws and two dump offs. Although the second of those good throws (which I agree Barkley can't make) I was harsh on originally. I thought he'd read it wrong because essentially he ends up throwing into almost double coverage but I take that back was the right play. And the other good one to Shakir was fine but it was higher than it should have been and needed a good catch. The other two are a dump off to a RB and a simple shallow crosser. 

His fundametals were dreadful.

Allen looked bad, but did show some arm strength and some decent speed running.  He's only been here for a few months and this was the first time playing against someone besides his teammates. Barkley on the other hand is starting his 5th season out of the last 6 with this team, looking more comfortable should be a given. I believe that is why Barkley ran with the 2s more often was to get more productive practices for the rest of the team (on offense and defense).

Maybe Allen will come around, if not he may be the gameday backup, but if Josh misses time, Barkley may start.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Two good throws and two dump offs. Although the second of those good throws (which I agree Barkley can't make) I was harsh on originally. I thought he'd read it wrong because essentially he ends up throwing into almost double coverage but I take that back was the right play. And the other good one to Shakir was fine but it was higher than it should have been and needed a good catch. The other two are a dump off to a RB and a simple shallow crosser. 

His fundametals were dreadful.

He has work to do for sure. I just wanted to point out that the runaway hate train on Allen is not totally justified

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

He has work to do for sure. I just wanted to point out that the runaway hate train on Allen is not totally justified

If I was me and I was Brandon Beane I'd work the phones immediately trying to upgrade at backup QB. I don't think you can look at that last night and say "yea, we're good."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5

39 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

That may be true, but at least he is throwing those ducks to the right spot and open receiver. Many greats didn’t have rocket arms, such as Montana. Much of the game is played between the ears.

He is still new to this system and he will have the free time to learn it better during the year and if we have to put in another qb before he has learned it well enough we have Barkley to play.  I'm sure if they feel K. Allen isn't up to the task they will look to bring in as more capable player after cuts.

Edited by AuntieEm

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McGovern was what you'd expect. Really steady. I'd say he held his point in the run game more than blew people off in the way Cybo did. But he was plenty good enough for a first outing. There is no question he starts IMO (though Edwards was decent too with the 2nd team).

On Rapp - not really. I will confess I was focussed much more on the trenches yesterday.

Thanks.  That's what I assumed.   Frankly, I assumed the same about Rapp.   I don't really know, but I expected both to be solid players at their positions.   Difference is that the Bills had a hole at guard, so McGovern starts, capably.   They don't have a hole at safety, so Rapp's a backup and, as some have suggested, maybe the dime hybrid safety/linebacker.   I hope that's what the Bills have.  

People keep talking about Torrence being a question in pass protection, but I'm not too worried about that.   One of the good things about pass blocking in the interior is that you don't have to make big moves laterally.   You need to be quick, and quick laterally for a step or two, but the space to protect is more limited.   He doesn't have to bounce outside and protect the inside like a tackle does.  From having watched film of him in college, I think he has the quickness.  He certainly will have to up his game, because he hasn't seen interior quickness like he's going to see.   But I think he has what he needs to build on, and he certainly seems to be able to plant and hold his ground.  

I'm an optimist, I know, but I think we're looking at something different than we've seen in years, maybe even decades.   Three guys across the middle who really can play in the run game, and Brown, who's really mobile, and Dawkins.   For the modern NFL, that line could be a really good run blocking team.  I'm confident the three in the middle can protect the middle for Allen, and I'm hoping Brown and Dawkins can hold up on the wings.  

Plus, if Cook truly emerges, the running game should be potent.   I think until yesterday, people have been sleeping on who Murray is.   They seem to think he's just some downhill, short-yardage guy, but that is not at all who he has been, including last season.   He can play.  I was okay about getting Harris, but I was more excited about Murray.  

• Like (+1) 1

One player I haven't seen mentioned who I think looked real good out there was LB Travin Howard (45). He made that great stop on the 2 point conversion and had a couple of other solid hits. He was out there a lot with Spector and to my eyes he looked better.

I see the Bills keeping 5 LB's -  Milano, Dodson, Williams, Bernard are probably locks with Klein, Howard and Spector fighting for the 5th spot. I'll be watching Howard next week, if he has another solid game he could be #5.

Good write up Gunner !!!

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My initial reactions:

* Like what I saw for both starting OG. Feel like we can lock them in as game one starters.

* Running game looks promising 

* Dorian Williams stood out at LB more than anyone else. Headscratching why they’re not looking at the Milano/Williams combo more.

* DL looks solid. Hopefully they stay healthy and can consistently get to the QB.

* I thought Elam played solid

* Harty, Shakir and Isabella all have different strengths in the slot. Hoping someone stands out as we need significant improvement.

The final roster will be interesting to see what they do.

Edited by TFBillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2

Good write up Gunner. 

I disagree about Spector. I think he played pretty good. AND Denmark I don't think he played very good. 

From what I see Doyle, Gouraige had really good games.

Broeker had a good game although he got ran over on his first snap. But every snap after that was solid. 

I feel like at some point this season there is a switch up at LB...  

23 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

I only watched highlights, and I've seen him play before.  He has modern NFL tools.   I was surprised to hear how awful he looked, and I'm curious what that is all about.   Has he not been doing the homework?   Is the offense too complicated to learn in six months?   Has he played only in simpler offenses?   Really troubling, because I was pleased when they signed him - a guy with tools, good enough to hang around the NFL, and a friend of Josh's.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

My initial reactions:

* Like what I saw for both starting OG. Feel like we can lock them as game one starters.

* Running game looks promising 

* Dorian Williams stood out at LB more than anyone else. Headscratching why they’re not looking at the Milano/Williams combo more.

* DL looks solid. Hopefully they stay healthy and can consistently get to the QB.

* I thought Elam played solid

* Harty, Shakir and Isabella all have different strengths in the slot. Hoping someone stands out as we need significant improvement.

The final roster will be interesting to see what they do.

I think at some point William's get on the field and one of the safeties is green dot. You saw it a little last night when Milano was lined up at MLB and Dotson was outside. I think at some point their hand is forced and Milano and William's are both on the field as interchangeable LBs and are our best natural playmaking LBs.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, akcash said:

Good write up Gunner. 

I disagree about Spector. I think he played pretty good. AND Denmark I don't think he played very good. 

From what I see Doyle, Gouraige had really good games.

Broeker had a good game although he got ran over on his first snap. But every snap after that was solid. 

I feel like at some point this season there is a switch up at LB...  

I don't see how they can switch at LB in mid-season.  Can't move Williams there.  The Bills aren't giving him MLB reps because he has too much to learn about how the defense works, and it's easier to work in behind Milano.   The only thing that MIGHT be possible with Williams is to move the playcalling responsibility to Milano, and then have either MIlano or Williams play the middle.   

I think the middle linebackers will be Dodson, Bernard, and Klein.   That's what you got.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.