Teddy Bridgewater signs with the Lions

Gregg

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Nah, if Josh goes down, it's over.

Pretty simple.

I think that mindset is a little ridiculous. Something like 65+ QB's played last season. Josh has been durable, but chances are he is going to go down at some point. It isn't always season ending injuries, either. Maybe it is a series. Maybe it is a couple of games. You still need a guy who can come in and at least not hurt the team.

I'm sure every coach in the league wants a competent backup. I don't think there are enough to go around, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get a reasonable backup.

We know what Barkley is and the reports about Kyle Allen are pretty concerning. If an upgrade is let go when cuts happen, the Bills should bring them in.

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Bridgewater was the last safe clear upgrade, unfortunately. The list that remains all have questions marks when it comes to age and/or performance. Here's the entire list of Free Agents who are still available:

Carson Wentz

Matt Ryan

Joe Flacco

Chase Daniel

Nick Foles

Cam Newton

Bryce Perkins

EJ Perry

Tim DeMorat

Nick Foles maybe? Or wait to see who is let go when cuts happen.

10 hours ago, MJS said:

I think that mindset is a little ridiculous. Something like 65+ QB's played last season. Josh has been durable, but chances are he is going to go down at some point. It isn't always season ending injuries, either. Maybe it is a series. Maybe it is a couple of games. You still need a guy who can come in and at least not hurt the team.

I'm sure every coach in the league wants a competent backup. I don't think there are enough to go around, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get a reasonable backup.

We know what Barkley is and the reports about Kyle Allen are pretty concerning. If an upgrade is let go when cuts happen, the Bills should bring them in.

Nick Foles maybe? Or wait to see who is let go when cuts happen.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-which-quarterback-longest-active-regular-season-starting-streak-nfl-examining-top-5-qbs-available

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Agreed

So I agree that the season would be pretty much over if we lost Josh, but would anybody lose their minds if we actually did bring in Carson Wentz

Some good mixed with a lot of bad with him

I think it matters less as a "season long" loss, once that happens you're done anyway.  It's more like, if Allen misses week 10 MNF against denver - can the backup step in and do enough to not kill us?  Are we better off with Barkley?  If you think that, then you have to cut K. Allen, and look to add someone developmental to the practice squad.  

On 8/8/2023 at 9:39 AM, I'm Spartacus said:

Isn't there anybody out there better than K. Allen and Barkley? Beane should consider drafting a mid round QB to groom as a above average backup to Josh.

Back QB is going to suck.  A low cost rookie contract qb is the way to go. Cap space is better used anywhere else 

20 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

Always thought Bridgewater looked like a solid QB, not much talent but solid fundamentals.

He was Chad Pennington with a tan. That said, he would be a great backup. The Lions have a really good thing going - starter who has had some big seasons, a rookie to develop, and a veteran proven backup. 

On 8/8/2023 at 12:05 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

I'd give him a shot, he's a great guy off the field.  A bit strange for him to practice wearing an Eagles helmet, Commanders jersey and Colts shorts though

Perhaps off the field. In the locker room weren’t there reports that teammates thought he was selfish and didn’t take accountability. Disconnect and poor relationship with Pederson in the end 

On 8/8/2023 at 12:05 PM, Warriorspikes51 said:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.