Hollywood is collapsing

On 7/24/2023 at 9:29 PM, Big Blitz said:

I’m not sure Hollywood exists without cops/soldiers/law enforcement sniffing out and dispatching bad guys.  

Even now, I believe the redo of The Equalizer with Queen Latifa as a 50 something tough talking real woman badass with a soft side was critically acclaimed and involves the dispatching the occasional law-conflicted-individual. 

10 minutes ago, B-Man said:

John, you should realize that when someone posts a straightforward story about the Emmys being postponed,

and your response is to criticize the links "far right" source,

THAT is an example of YOUR bias.

bi·as   noun

1.prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.

I hope this is helpful

When you post something political from a site called red state.com come on man

• Eyeroll 1

I'm not interested in the political snide that inevitably comes into this kind of conversation. It is utterly unhelpful for either side to simply presume that everyone who disagrees with them is a moron, nor is it kind or in fact intelligent to do so. I do think it is worth pointing out that what is happening in popular culture is not only true for the movies and Hollywood generally. The music and publishing industries are equally affected. It is not just a question of ideological overreach. Technology, AI, the consolidating of platforms so that in reality there is an oligarchy of only a few dominant distributors has resulted in decisions that are 1) using entertainment as a write off for corporations that make their bones elsewhere with the result that zealots that care about approbation from a tiny minority green light material that satisfies the few at the expense of the many or 2) paradoxically, there is a lazy, supposedly market-driven criteria that produces bland, repetitive, uninteresting products that leaves no room for the truly innovative and interesting work of artists. In the book world, a great writer like the late Cormac McCarthy would never be given the runway to acquire an audience today.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Are the Emmys political this isn’t hard, Orlando

They, like most Hollywood award shows, have been.  Which is why redstate.com reported on it.  But it's not the reason why it's being postponed.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

They, like most Hollywood award shows, have been.  Which is why redstate.com reported on it.  But it's not the reason why it's being postponed.

I failed to see how this postponement is political. It only makes sense that they would post pone it due to the strikes

This is not the same as comer has evidence on Joe Biden that he hasn’t presented yet that’s a political statement

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I failed to see how this postponement is political. It only makes sense that they would post pone it due to the strikes

This is not the same as comer has evidence on Joe Biden that he hasn’t presented yet that’s a political statement

It's not.  Again Hollywood awards shows have become political and that's why no one watches them.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

I haven’t been interested in them since my daughter was no longer in the business. Don’t watch them at all.

I last watched the Oscars maybe a decade and a half ago. 

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I haven’t been interested in them since my daughter was no longer in the business. Don’t watch them at all.

And yet….without having watched them…you’re an expert on them? Because your daughter was ‘in the business’….that sounds right. But where’s the evidence John? 😂

The ratings he links to in the article - omg.  

Nolte: 6 Reasons Hollywood’s in Real Trouble This Time

Here’s why Hollywood’s in real trouble…

1. The Death of Cable/Satellite/Linear TV

“Cable/Satellite/Linear TV” is non-streaming TV, where you pay for a package of channels every month—ESPN, CNN, Turner Classic Movies, Fox News, etc.

Although I’ve been writing about the imminent death of pay TV for more than a decade, no one else really has. There’s a reason why this consequential story has been deliberately underplayed: pay TV is the one-legged stool propping up the entertainment industry

The importance of pay TV is rarely discussed in the media because the entertainment industry wholly owns the entertainment media. If the media covered this issue with the seriousness it deserves, stock prices would fall. Entertainment companies are judged solely by their stock prices, and the entertainment media will never risk damaging their patrons.

Entertainment companies made billions from pay TV for decades, year in and year out. But those dollars were not earned on merit. If you’re wondering why you pay $175 a month for a bunch of channels you never watch that still serve up 20 minutes of ads per hour, here’s why: a major chunk of your $175 goes to entertainment companies. So let me repeat my main point: none of that money is based on merit.

Merit means Hollywood makes money based on what people actually watch. Pay TV successfully circumvented merit with a rigged system where you pay for dozens of channels you never watch.

Want proof? Look here… That is last week’s list of 118 pay TV channels. The “P2+” column reveals the average number of total viewers in thousands. As you can see, out of 118 channels, only two(!) average more than a million viewers. Only 13 average more than 500,000. Only 33 average more than 250,000. Question: how many of these 118 networks could survive on merit—advertising revenue based on ratings? Maybe five? Nevertheless, Hollywood still makes a ton of money from over a hundred channels that fewer than a million people watch because pay TV customers pay for those channels.

How sweet is that?

But.

Thanks to streaming, those days are coming to an end. Already, the number of people who have canceled their pay TV subscriptions (cord-cutters) has been enough to hurt Hollywood’s bottom line….

More:

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2023/07/29/nolte-6-reasons-hollywoods-in-real-trouble-this-time/

55 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Are the Emmys political this isn’t hard, Orlando

You were responding to an article about the Emmys being postponed in a thread about Hollywood collapsing, and  you seem to think that facts are a right wing conspiracy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Although I’ve been writing about the imminent death of pay TV for more than a decade, no one else really has.

This is from a Breitbart writer named John Nolte, who is definitely not the only writer/analyst who has recognized the death spiral of cable/satellite television. One of dozens of easily accessible articles, this one from 2013:

https://www.businessinsider.com/cord-cutters-and-the-death-of-tv-2013-11

Is he that oblivious, or is it his readers? Both??