Pasco County School Board passes new phone rules

T&C

About time Anyone put their foot down on this... I'm all for it.

A few quotes.

"Some who agree with the new rules say it will help students stay focused while in the classroom. On the other hand, parents are concerned students won’t have easy access to pull out their phone if an emergency were to happen."

“I just use it for entertainment all the time,” Nalany Morgan, 13, said.

Morgan is going to Hudson High School next year. Despite using her phone in class, she says it’s never been an issue for her with staying focused.

“The only reason why I use it for entertainment all the time is because our teachers don’t care when we are on it,” she said.

Her mom, Kelly Walter, doesn’t have a problem with her two teen daughters using their phones in class as long as they are getting their work done and doing it well. She says safety is also a priority.

Walter is against these changes. She still wants her daughters to use cell phones during the day.

“It’s only going to be hurting the kids more,” she said.

Other parents, like Jessica Ramirez, have been waiting for the day when strict phone rules were enforced.

Ramirez is the hero here.... Morgan and her "mom" Walter sound like Gibsonton Florida material. full story below:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2023/06/23/pasco-county-school-board-passes-new-phone-rules

I don't like the government being involved in raising children but am okay with this because too many parents are not doing this right. School is a sacred place to learn STEM, arts and socialization skills and too many think of it as day care.

• Agree 1

Depends on what the consequences they will permit and how far they will back the teachers. We used to be able to confiscate phones in my school, then kids who had preexisting cracked screens started blaming teachers for breaking the phones and demanding the school replace it. All of a sudden we weren't allowed to take phones anymore.

FTR I'm in favor of a 100 percent ban. So much of the bullying and nastiness takes place with the phones not to mention all sorts of other stuff you wouldn't even believe if I told you. Zero benefit to having them.

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Having virtually all the knowledge of mankind in my pocket might have helped my GPA.   😋

Or you'd be making a lot more trips to the bathroom for "research".

• Like (+1) 2

Why don't they just put emergency phones throughout the place.

Like pick it up and it dials 911.

Or issue a single purpose emergency phone to each student at the start of day. Leave in each desk.

15 hours ago, boyst said:

I don't like the government being involved in raising children but am okay with this because too many parents are not doing this right. School is a sacred place to learn STEAM,  and socialization skills and too many think of it as day care.

Corrected. 😉😜😘

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

The student who states "teachers don't care" is probably incorrect but we tend to fight battles we can win and often phones are an issue that we lose due to lack of support. also the mom who is in constant contact with her kids, who is very common now, is 99% of the time the mom who defends her child's cheating using the phone. Phones should be be allowed and it is the battle I will have this coming  year, wish me luck 

Just now, Gugny said:

Not sure what the big deal is, here. 

When my son was in school, these were always the rules. 

“Silent and out of sight during class.”

Sounds like common sense to me. 

The young teachers are on their phones now... How are they supposed to keep track of the kids cheating?😆

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

People can always hide behind "safety."

Schools need find a way to incorporate safety and eliminate the phone.

Trying to eliminate the phone would work about as well as Just Say No did. 

It’s not practical. 

Help the kids understand the common courtesy/respect aspect.

Help them understand that, when they get into the real world, most jobs will have similar rules.

Promote logical decision-making and common sense. 

Simply saying, “don’t do that,” isn’t effective past the age of 4. 

• Like (+1) 2

It has been a long time since my kids were in school, but I’m really confounded on how this hasn’t been the rule since day one (when cell phones became readily and easily accessible) in every school across the world. There is absolutely no good reason why a student would need a cell phone while in class….none. Students absolutely should not be allowed to carry them around all day. Maybe have a bin or basket in the front of each classroom, and they put them in there when they enter, and then get them after class ends?

4 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

It has been a long time since my kids were in school, but I’m really confounded on how this hasn’t been the rule since day one (when cell phones became readily and easily accessible) in every school across the world. There is absolutely no good reason why a student would need a cell phone while in class….none. Students absolutely should not be allowed to carry them around all day. Maybe have a bin or basket in the front of each classroom, and they put them in there when they enter, and then get them after class ends?

A few months ago I read about a system that some concert venues are using. I imagine it might be cost prohibitive for school systems but the concept makes sense to me. Everyone has to put their cell phone in a locking pouch that can't be opened until you leave the room/venue.

https://www.overyondr.com/howitworks 

4 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

The parents these days flip their ***** if their little princesses or princes don't get everything they want. Think of the horror if a kid can't text their mommy that they had to climb a rope in gym class or not use a calculator. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Why don't they just put emergency phones throughout the place.

Like pick it up and it dials 911.

Or issue a single purpose emergency phone to each student at the start of day. Leave in each desk.

Corrected. 😉😜😘

There is already fire alarms throughout every school. Put in pull alarms that go directly to police.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.