Submarine meant to view Titanic wreck loses contact at bottom of sea

Nextmanup

On 7/12/2023 at 12:50 PM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

So it was REAL?  LOL.

Hey, I've been to Savannah and the quaint old city center (you know, where they traded slaves and stuff) is nice...but chalk this up as reason 3,578 never to go to Georgia.  

On 7/6/2023 at 11:06 AM, Bob Jones said:

As time goes on, and we learn more about the Owner/CEO of Oceangate, it's downright scary how negligent that guy was regarding safety for his company.

What's even more amazing is that he convinced loads of rich people to pay him exorbitant amounts of cash to get in that death trap, and go down 2 miles beneath the surface. Once again proves that rich people are not always as smart as we think they are/should be.

I wouldn't get in that thing if you paid me a quarter of a million, had to be a total idiot to actually pay that much.

28 minutes ago, Steve O said:

I wouldn't get in that thing if you paid me a quarter of a million, had to be a total idiot to actually pay that much.

As soon as they showed me the video game controller, I would have been "I'm out."

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

As soon as they showed me the video game controller, I would have been "I'm out."

Ironically, that's one thing that hasn't been blamed for the accident.

A Fool and their Money will soon be parted. YEP.

The expression a fool and his money are soon parted was first used in its current form by Dr. John Bridge in his work, the Defence of the Government of the Church of England, written in 1587: “A fool and his money is soone parted.”

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Ironically, that's one thing that hasn't been blamed for the accident.

It might have worked fine.  I'm just saying that I'd be thinking "I'm paying $250K to go on this thing and you couldn't be bothered to make a proprietary controller?  What else have you scrimped on?"

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

So it was REAL?  LOL.

Hey, I've been to Savannah and the quaint old city center (you know, where they traded slaves and stuff) is nice...but chalk this up as reason 3,578 never to go to Georgia.  

Funny. I use this same excuse to judge New York and never wanting to go.  one of 50000 id never want to go to NYC. Just too many people mostly. Send me to Wyoming or Montana. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, boyst said:

Funny. I use this same excuse to judge New York and never wanting to go.  one of 50000 id never want to go to NYC. Just too many people mostly. Send me to Wyoming or Montana. 

Outta business in 1762. We weren't even a country 🇺🇸 for another 14-19 years!

It took Georgia what? Another 100 years and they had to be forced...

On 7/17/2023 at 12:08 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Outta business in 1762. We weren't even a country 🇺🇸 for another 14-19 years!

It took Georgia what? Another 100 years and they had to be forced...

But, but…there was slavery in the north as well!!  So it’s literally the same as South Carolina and Georgia.  😏

I went to the slave market when the wife and I stayed in Charleston for a week.  It was kind of like a farmer’s market with crafts and such.  It was a bit chilling, but overall a very important experience to me being a black man.  Charleston is such a beautiful city, btw.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

But, but…there was slavery in the north as well!!  So it’s literally the same as South Carolina and Georgia.  😏

I went to the slave market when the wife and I stayed in Charleston for a week.  It was kind of like a farmer’s market with crafts and such.  It was a bit chilling, but overall a very important experience to me being a black man.  Charleston is such a beautiful city, btw.

Did you see the small indentions in the old bricks? Almost like finger prints?

Those were from the slave children who at 4-5-6 and up had to turn bricks as they set.

Regardless, that was just 1 example of what went on in NYC. Slavery continued in the north even after the civil war began and ended.  History, and what we learn of it, is weird.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Did you see the small indentions in the old bricks? Almost like finger prints?

Those were from the slave children who at 4-5-6 and up had to turn bricks as they set.

Regardless, that was just 1 example of what went on in NYC. Slavery continued in the north even after the civil war began and ended.  History, and what we learn of it, is weird.

Not really.

USSlaveFreeStates_1789-1861.thumb.gif.d85dc4fe8470aaea2b24a21adafed273.gif

NYS changed quickly, even before the international slave trade was abolished.

The Northwest Ordinance as one of the first acts of Congress, reaffirmed from The Articles, 1787... Made the Northwest forever free in 1789.

Maybe you are thinking about the Army of Virginia capturing African Americans at Gettysburg and sending them into slavery in The South? Pennsylvania was always free.

33 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Not really.

USSlaveFreeStates_1789-1861.thumb.gif.d85dc4fe8470aaea2b24a21adafed273.gif

NYS changed quickly, even before the international slave trade was abolished.

The Northwest Ordinance as one of the first acts of Congress, reaffirmed from The Articles, 1787... Made the Northwest forever free in 1789.

Maybe you are thinking about the Army of Virginia capturing African Americans at Gettysburg and sending them into slavery in The South? Pennsylvania was always free.

It's a lot more complex then this, sadly. The state laws were not always honored in smaller communities, etc.

This is not the place nor time to get into it.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

How did we go from imploding submersibles to slavery?  🤔 

The desire by some people to continue to disparage the South as an archetype personified by classical misconceptions.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

How did we go from imploding submersibles to slavery?  🤔 

Very smoothly... lol

2 hours ago, boyst said:

The desire by some people to continue to disparage the South as an archetype personified by classical misconceptions.

They got nobody else to blame for disparaging themselves BUT themselves.

They wanted to leave the Union and carry on with their evil ways. Just imagine a "Balkanized United States" going forward from the 1860s on. 😕 

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.