Cornell West Has Put His Hat In The Ring!

Bush won Florida by 537 votes, a margin of 0.009%. 

Ralph Nader 24,000 votes in Florida 

Ultimately, Bush won 271 electoral votes, one vote more than the 270-to-win majority, despite Gore receiving 543,895 more votes (a margin of 0.52% of all votes cast).

3rd party made a difference but not for Perot in 92 and 96

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

Bush won Florida by 537 votes, a margin of 0.009%. 

Ralph Nader 24,000 votes in Florida 

Ultimately, Bush won 271 electoral votes, one vote more than the 270-to-win majority, despite Gore receiving 543,895 more votes (a margin of 0.52% of all votes cast).

3rd party made a difference but not for Perot in 92 and 96

This is a good example of the Spoiler Effect

12 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

You do realize that the reason the Founders created the electoral college was to appease the slave states, right? 

Also, our current system means that most states don’t matter. We talk about 6-8 states every election season. If everyone’s votes counted, then candidates would have to care about all of the states. As it stands today, they don’t.

They certainly do matter, even if they reliably vote for a certain type of candidate. Swing states are just that for a reason and it makes sense that they get a lot of attention. We’ve had both Republican and Democrat Presidents in recent decades so the system isn’t broken . 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They certainly do matter, even if they reliably vote for a certain type of candidate. Swing states are just that for a reason and it makes sense that they get a lot of attention. We’ve had both Republican and Democrat Presidents in recent decades so the system isn’t broken . 

The state with the most people who voted for Trump in 2020 was California. 6 million people whose votes did not count in the election. 

I would rather that their votes do count. 

Also the idea that the system isn’t broken because we’ve had presidents from two different parties is laughable. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

The state with the most people who voted for Trump in 2020 was California. 6 million people whose votes did not count in the election. 

Also the idea that the system isn’t broken because we’ve had presidents from two different parties is laughable. 

If that number is accurate, it would stand to reason that the most populous State had the most Trump voters. Still not a big enough group and that’s 6 million people that need to jump off that sinking ship while they have a chance. CA and NY are hopeless pits. 

• Agree 2

52 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

If that number is accurate, it would stand to reason that the most populous State had the most Trump voters. Still not a big enough group and that’s 6 million people that need to jump off that sinking ship while they have a chance. CA and NY are hopeless pits. 

So you think their votes shouldn’t count?

4 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

This is what I don't like about our current system. I live in a lefty state that ALWAYS goes Democrat in all Presidential elections since Reagan.  My vote does not count. If I vote Democrat like everyone else Democrat wins as usual. If I vote Republican like not many others, the Democrat wins.  My vote if thrown in the ***** can.

But the biggest problem for ranked choice or approval or some other method of voting  is it would have to be changed by Democrats and Republicans (and Bernie) and they are just fine with the way it is.

It is an interesting conversation though.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

This is what I don't like about our current system. I live in a lefty state that ALWAYS goes Democrat in all Presidential elections since Reagan.  My vote does not count. If I vote Democrat like everyone else Democrat wins as usual. If I vote Republican like not many others, the Democrat wins.  My vote if thrown in the ***** can.

But the biggest problem for ranked choice or approval or some other method of voting  is it would have to be changed by Democrats and Republicans (and Bernie) and they are just fine with the way it is.

It is an interesting conversation though.

The current system silences tens of millions of voters because of an agreement to appease slaveholders over 200 years ago. It’s probably time to update it. 

I also agree that the biggest impediment to reform is the people who were elected under the current system. 

That being said, public pressure and referendums can win if we convince enough people. Maine and Alaska have enacted versions of ranked choice and organizations are popping up to push for it in other states. 

• Like (+1) 2

Third-party presidential candidate Cornel West rips 'mediocre, milquetoast' Biden: 'Get off the crack pipe'

Fox News, by Brandon Gillespie

People's Party presidential candidate Cornel West, a progressive activist, went after President Biden Thursday, referring to him as "mediocre" and "milquetoast" in his first interview since announcing his long-shot third-party run for the White House.

Appearing on KBLA's Tavis Smiley podcast, West pushed back on the notion his candidacy was potentially "pulling votes away from Biden" and laid into the Democratic Party for its candidate choices. "When somebody chooses to vote for you, you’re not pulling votes away. You see, Biden doesn’t own any votes. He’s got to earn it. He’s got to earn it," West said.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/third-party-candidate-cornel-west-rips-mediocre-milk-toast-biden-crack-pipe?dicbo=v2-uga6F0t

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This guy is growing on me. Refreshingly honest. I hope he runs in the general 

His rejection of the perpetual war program makes West as undesirable to the Washington establishment as RFK Jr., or Bernie Sanders in the 2020 primaries.  Or dare I say Trump in 2016.  Outsiders not welcome here is the motto in Washington.  And a third party candidacy makes it dangerous for the chosen Democratic nominee for 2024 (I don't think it will be Biden).  So while West is a card carrying member of the liberal set that checks off all the correct boxes his anti-war stance will subject him to merciless attacks on orders dispatched to the troops from high above.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

His rejection of the perpetual war program makes West as undesirable to the Washington establishment as RFK Jr., or Bernie Sanders in the 2020 primaries.  Or dare I say Trump in 2016.  Outsiders not welcome here is the motto in Washington.  And a third party candidacy makes it dangerous for the chosen Democratic nominee for 2024 (I don't think it will be Biden).  So while West is a card carrying member of the liberal set that checks off all the correct boxes his anti-war stance will subject him to merciless attacks on orders dispatched to the troops from high above.  

FACTS

Will be proven by the fact he wont get any of that act blue/priorities USA cash.

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Cornel West says Biden committed ‘crime against humanity’ against black Americans

by John Levine

Cornell West bashed President Joe Biden's history of supporting the 90s crime bill. AP Likely Green Party presidential candidate Cornel West ripped President Biden’s record on race issues, calling the Democrat’s history with black Americans nothing short of a “crime against humanity,” in an exclusive interview with The Post.

West, 70, accused Biden of spurring mass incarceration among minorities because of the tough-on-crime federal Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act Biden sponsored as a senator in 1994. The bill authorized the hiring of 100,000 new police officers and allocated $9.7 billion for prisons

https://nypost.com/2023/07/15/cornel-west-biden-treatment-of-blacks-crime-against-humanity/