RIP Chuck (Ravens Superfan)

SCBills

9 minutes ago, Beast said:

I feel for kids that are bullied on social media.

Not adults.

I don't know what happened with this fella, but treacherous behavior and cruelty doesn't become okay if adults are involved. So, maybe you think adults ought to just deal with it and certainly everyone has to to some extant. I think you are assenting to barbarism by doing so, but to each his own. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Intelligent folks will generally take a person more seriously if they show at least an average level of empathy.

I have a great deal of empathy for his families and friends who survived his decision.

I hate suicide. It's stupid. I've known 3 to take their lives in the last 2 years.

I've had some of my best friends and good acquaintances take their lives. I've learned too early what this ***** is about: mental health. You can't save some people and it is their families who suffer most.

That this man didn't get help, didn't want to get help, didn't have the support he needed, whatever. He is a coward. 

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

I have a great deal of empathy for his families and friends who survived his decision.

I hate suicide. It's stupid. I've known 3 to take their lives in the last 2 years.

I've had some of my best friends and good acquaintances take their lives. I've learned too early what this ***** is about: mental health. You can't save some people and it is their families who suffer most.

That this man didn't get help, didn't want to get help, didn't have the support he needed, whatever. He is a coward. 

Alright, we're not going to agree. You are going off of your personal experiences. I have suffered from dysthymia my entire adult life, so I have empathy for those who suffer from depression. Every situation has its own particular issues, so it is difficult to generalize. Therapy and pharmaceuticals don't address every problem in the world. Some situations cannot be readily helped, they just have to be endured. Certainly, the families suffer and that is a terrible tragedy.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don't know what happened with this fella, but treacherous behavior and cruelty doesn't become okay if adults are involved. So, maybe you think adults ought to just deal with it and certainly everyone has to to some extant. I think you are assenting to barbarism by doing so, but to each his own. 

No, I am saying that you can get the hell off of social media and not pay attention to it when you are an adult. Kids can’t get away from the social media scene when they go to school and have to be reminded of it all the time.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

No, I am saying that you can get the hell off of social media and not pay attention to it when you are an adult. Kids can’t get away from the social media scene when they go to school and have to be reminded of it all the time.

The more social media is integrated into folks daily life including their work, the harder it becomes to simply exempt oneself from it. Nonetheless, there's a fair amount of truth to your point. 

13 hours ago, boyst said:

I think to discover the root cause of his decision, you would need an exhaustive review of his medical records.  Off the top of my head, issues like schizophrenia, CTE, hormone imbalance, post-concussion syndrome, interactions with medicine  and the like might have impacted his decision-making.   

A friend of mine lost his brother to suicide about six months ago.  His brother had shown no predilection toward suicidal behavior previously, but had major insomnia he was working through for a couple months leading up to his death.  He was prescribed medication, a short time later he shot himself.    The family believes the medication directly lead to his death.  Obviously, I have no idea and emotions can impact the way people view these situations.   Still:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/6/14/17458726/depression-drugs-suicide-side-effect

I do agree the impact on the family is horrific.  A guy I knew found his father hanging in the basement (had medical issues and was done), 5 years later to the day he drove out to a rural area and shot himself.  Left two teenaged children and his wife behind. Absolutely horrific across the board. 

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think to discover the root cause of his decision, you would need an exhaustive review of his medical records.  Off the top of my head, issues like schizophrenia, CTE, hormone imbalance, post-concussion syndrome, interactions with medicine  and the like might have impacted his decision-making.   

A friend of mine lost his brother to suicide about six months ago.  His brother had shown no predilection toward suicidal behavior previously, but had major insomnia he was working through for a couple months leading up to his death.  He was prescribed medication, a short time later he shot himself.    The family believes the medication directly lead to his death.  Obviously, I have no idea and emotions can impact the way people view these situations.   Still:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/6/14/17458726/depression-drugs-suicide-side-effect

I do agree the impact on the family is horrific.  A guy I knew found his father hanging in the basement (had medical issues and was done), 5 years later to the day he drove out to a rural area and shot himself.  Left two teenaged children and his wife behind. Absolutely horrific across the board. 

It's amazing that the truly depressed are not the ones who commit suicide. Often times it is those who are not in a depressed states that do this.

I've had a few friends who have found their parents. It's tragic. 

49 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... Or just one split second of bad impulse control. Many efficient means at people's disposal. 

i have a feeling this was more than on split second, but who knows.

• Agree 1

Empathy, or the lack thereof, is something you either have for someone who has taken their own life. Or you don''t. That seems clear from reading this thread.

And losing a loved one to suicide is said to be the permanent solution to a temporary problem. It is a tragic, sad, PAINFUL experience for those left behind. That we can all agree.

So the topic of social media becomes relevant here because  It appears that one of the root causes/reasons was his depression over social media and how he was treated.

So easy to say "turn off social media"  problem solved right? IMO that's not that realistic an answer. If that button has been pushed it is already too late.The mind exacerbates and amplifies emotions and feelings and people who take their own lives wish to end That suffering. 

As far as modern culture is concerned I think empathy is lacking with a Lot of the communication that occurs. It's the anonymity factor.

And also the IDGAF attitude if what I type is hurtful or not.

Should our collective human skin need to "Toughen up" to withstand the abuse that can occur while we communicate here. Or should people in general learn to not be so Mean and sometimes vicious in how they communicate with others.. Learn some empathy.

Kindness anybody?

**shrugs*** 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, boyst said:

Good to know you are not judgmental at all.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Of course they can - - it just takes more willpower than what you can reasonably expect kids or most adults to have.

Im struggling to understand how one person’s willpower can control another person’s actions. 

I don’t think that’s how willpower works. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Im struggling to understand how one person’s willpower can control another person’s actions. 

Preface: I think every man in this world has been bullied at some point of their pre adult life. Whether that was a month long saga in middle school or years of torture in primary. The same is said for inverse, we have all bullied, too. The point is simply that we all know it in both facets.

This story has to have many more layers than simply online bullying of a grown man.  

I feel for his family, I am saddened for his kids, the epidemic of men committing suicide is real.

18 hours ago, Gugny said:

So in your world, people are absolutely compelled to go on say TIkTok and watch videos of people ridiculing them - - they have no choice in the matter?  That's like saying that if you repeatedly got physically bullied at a specific location (like say the street in front of some big kid's house) while walking home from school years ago, you would be absolutely compelled to repeatedly walk by that same house and get beat up rather than taking an available alternate route to avoid the beating.

The availability of an alternate route doesn't justify the physical bullying if you choose to walk by the house anyway, just like the ability to avoid TikTok doesn't justify somebody posting another video ridiculing you on TikTok.  But nobody is forced to look at TikTok.  You're a victim the first and maybe the first few times you watch a video of somebody ridiculing you on TikTok.  If you repeatedly go to TikTok after that and watch videos of somebody ridiculing you, you're not a victim, you're a volunteer.

Could the culture of victimhood be any greater in this country?  People are responsible for their own choices.  If you continue to go watch videos of other people ridiculing you on TikTok, knowing in advance that you are likely to be ridiculed there, that's on you, even though there is no justification for posting the ridiculing video.

29 minutes ago, ICanSleepWhenI'mDead said:

Could the culture of victimhood be any greater in this country? 

Could the culture of blaming victims be any greater in this country? 

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Could the culture of blaming victims be any greater in this country? 

Outside looking in, but I think both are true.. or could be. Not saying anything is right or wrong it's just an interesting discussion going on

Two times I can recall right away...

1) A guy, just graduated from my high school, late 1980's, before social media, must have planned it for a while, because he took care of all his obligations, like graduating, taking part in a siblings wedding, etc.  Made sure his parents were out of town, so they wouldn't be the ones to find him.  Huge debate the next school year if there should be a memorial page in the yearbook for him, some said yes, because of what happened and he had just graduated, others said no because he was no longer a student.  The no's won.  I was one of the altar servers for his funeral mass.  Sitting there on the alter, seeing this one big burly former football player/teammate in a pew, you know the type, nothing gets to me, bawling his eyes out over it, it hits you.  

2) My uncle, early 1990's, going through a separation/divorce, reached out to me through my grandmother, I don't know why he didn't try contacting me directly, but I never reached out to him. He was one of those types that everyone enjoyed being around. If you've seen Four Weddings and A Funeral, he was like the gay older uncle of that group.  A month later, he shot himself. I've always wondered what he would have said to me if I had called him.  RIP Uncle Gene. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.