Do you bargain?

Beck Water

Do you bargain?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy or sell household items/tools from yard sales or online sites such as Facebook Marketplace, Craig's list? (choose all that apply)

• Yes -Facebook Marketplace
    • Yes - Craig's List
    • Yes - Yard Sales
    • Yes - Flea markets
    • Yes - Thrift Shops
    • Other - say where in comments
    • No
  2. 2. If you do, do you bargain/accept bargaining?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't buy stuff from those places, so not relevant
  3. 3. If the seller (you, if you're the seller) doesn't want to bargain, how do you indicate this?

• Mark it "Firm"/expect to see it marked or have the seller say "Firm"
    • I don't indicate this - it's bad manners to show up and bargain
    • Other - please explain in comments
    • I don'tbuy stuff from those places, so not relevant

Question came up after something that happened yesterday, so I started a poll.

We've been buying stuff off Craig's List or Facebook Marketplace or from yard sales/flea markets.thrift shops for years.

We bargain.  Heck, I'll bargain over stuff that some people wouldn't think to bargain over, having been trained by an exec at a former place of employment (motel room prices, clothes in stores. 

There's a rhythm and a feel to it.  If a price is listed "Firm", you go there expecting that the person probably won't bargain.  Sometimes I'll make an offer, and the seller will say "I've come down already, that's really my bottom price" or "I'm firm where I'm at" and I know to either pay the asking price or walk.  I make an assessment of how motivated the seller is to part with the item, as well.  Usually I offer about 30% less than the person is asking, the seller counters and we might go back and forth.  If it's a fairly common item, sometimes I walk.  If it's something I really want and it's still for sale a couple weeks later I might reach out, maybe repeat my offer or maybe offer a bit more for "face". 

Same thing when I'm selling.  If I don't went to negotiate, I'll note"firm".  Someone offers a stupid low price, I might counter "I think it's priced pretty fairly where I'm at" and see what they say.  Experienced bargainers might gently point out a condition flaw (maybe I missed it), or the price of similar listed items, or ask me why I feel it's worth that.  If someone just trashes the item I'm offering, I'll tell them "I don't think we're gonna be able to do business, have a nice day". 

I wouldn't call myself an expert bargainer, but I've never had a problem. 

So yesterday I went to look at a piece of furniture.  The price listed was not noted as "firm".  It wasn't quite the flawless thing advertised - had some white paint on it I could probably take off, possibly not without marring the finish.  But the seller acted as though asking to look at it = agreed to buy.  They were ready to load it into my car before I even looked it over!  The "fun" began when I made an offer.  I was informed that if I wanted to bargain, I should have bargained before I come look and it's terribly rude to do otherwise.   I never heard of this, but I apologized for the misunderstanding and for offending the person, telling them I've been bargaining as a buyer and accepting bargaining as a seller for years, but I do understand she feels different.  Told her I liked it, but there are similar looking items listed at the price I offered and there was no intent to offend.  She reiterated that it was just completely inappropriate and rude to show up and bargain.  Then her husband weighed in telling me the people I've purchased from "only bargain with you because you coerce them into it" (!!!!!?).

I would have  been fine with either buying or walking at her price if she'd just said "I think it's priced fairly, I'm firm ", but she was acting like I was violating some unwritten rule of Facebook Marketplace Etiquette and making it kind of personal.  So when the husband opened his yap about being coercive, I "Nope!"d right out of there.  Told them I'm not gonna deal with this, got into my car and left. 

But it did leave me wondering if I'd breached some rule of Facebook Marketplace etiquette that I never heard of.

So....fellow wayfarers, like the poll says - do you buy/sell items at yard or estate sales, or on Craig's List/Marketplace (or other)? 

If so, what's your etiquette? Do you bargain?  Do you only bargain if you bargain before you come look?  Do you just pay whatever the seller asks?

Cheers!

Edit: I added "I don't buy stuff from those places so not relevant" options to Q 2 and 3 'cuz someone told me it wouldn't let them answer the poll "Do you bargain" without answering the other 2 questions

Edited by Beck Water

I also shop at Estate sales. I rarely bargain prices unless am buying multiple items or the seller seems to be willing to take offers either with signage or see them doing with other customers etc. When I am bargaining I typical start with 25% less than asking and move up if needed. 

Edited by The Jokeman

I am an ebay seller. A few transactions on poshmark. I've been doing it as a part time business since 2005. 

I have used a  "buy it now"  as well as "Buy it now, will accept offers. It involves pricing strategy, going up or down trying  to entice purchases.

Im trying to sell remaining inventory and be done with it  Except as a favor for a friend or church should I be asked.

It started for me as a way to be able to upgrade, change and purchase my own designer handbag collection. that is my specialty. I have a dream collection of about  60 I am keeping the rest selling.

It helps to know what an item has previously sold for. Often people will sell a bag not knowing how much it is actually worth. Condition and price are key. I have flipped bags and made hundreds on some broke even on some and lost on others.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I also shop at Estate sales. I rarely bargain prices unless am buying multiple items or the seller seems to be willing to take offers either with signage or see them doing with other customers etc. When I am bargaining I typical start with 25% less than asking and move up if needed. 

Estate sales are the venue I find least open to bargaining, unless it's the last day which is usually half-price.  But if I'm interested in a handful of things and they're not too busy, I'll try.

At least around here, IMHO estate sales seem to mark things high, so that they're still getting what they want after they mark things down 50% on the final day.

I usually start out offering 30% less than the asking price, but it really depends on how the item is priced to start with and what it's worth to me.

Nah Beck Mama, you were in the right. It's one thing to agree on a price, go to find the item exactly as advertised, then decide you're going to get $20 over on someone. It's another to show up and point out that the pictures of the item were rather generous and you don't want to pay the listed price after all.

Normally I do most of the "bargaining" prior to meeting in person. I only continue after meeting if I still want the item, but it's not in the condition described. But usually if the condition doesn't match the advertising I just ankle it.

Adding that I do NOT bargain at the thrift stores because that's not a thing here. Often do at yard sales because half the time people don't even mark prices.

My father would bargain for EVERYTHING that you would consider a 'big ticket' item.  Received a free grass catcher and bag attachment for a Lawn-Boy mower years ago when the hardware store said the price was the price, but my father qualified the situation by saying he would really like to buy the mower from that dealer for cash that day.

As for me, if the price suits me, I pay it.

29 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Nah Beck Mama, you were in the right. It's one thing to agree on a price, go to find the item exactly as advertised, then decide you're going to get $20 over on someone. It's another to show up and point out that the pictures of the item were rather generous and you don't want to pay the listed price after all.

Normally I do most of the "bargaining" prior to meeting in person. I only continue after meeting if I still want the item, but it's not in the condition described. But usually if the condition doesn't match the advertising I just ankle it.

Adding that I do NOT bargain at the thrift stores because that's not a thing here. Often do at yard sales because half the time people don't even mark prices.

Depends on the thrift store here.  Usually Goodwill is a "no", they don't bargain unless you note a condition flaw or something missing.  Then they might, though for clothes they don't seem to as a matter of policy.  I guess maybe some people damage stuff.  The "flea market" type stores seem to have some leeway to bargain.

If I bargain before I meet up, I wouldn't bargain again after I get there.  The thing is, we buy a fair bit of furniture and condition is very subjective.  Some people honestly describe something as "oak" or "solid wood" and it's actually veneer covered particle board or plywood.   They usually aren't lying or misrepresenting, they honestly don't know.  And one person's "perfect" may be my "yeah, that needs a housecall from the Furniture Doctor".  So my wording is specific "I'd like to come look at it".  I'm not committing to buy.  If someone else buys it 10 minutes before I arrive, that's my problem.

The part that puzzles me is the whole "they only bargain because you coerce them into it" bit.  How does one "coerce someone" into bargaining, short of showing up with a pair of guys in dark suits that bulge under the shoulder?  I can offer someone a price, and they can decline to accept it and state that their price is firm.  Then I can either pay it, or move on and they sell it to the next person.  If there is no next person at their price, then they've probably over-valued their item for the local market and they need to adjust their notions.  Where is the coersion?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

My father would bargain for EVERYTHING that you would consider a 'big ticket' item.  Received a free grass catcher and bag attachment for a Lawn-Boy mower years ago when the hardware store said the price was the price, but my father qualified the situation by saying he would really like to buy the mower from that dealer for cash that day.

As for me, if the price suits me, I pay it.

Savvy guy, your Dad.  Credit cards charge sellers somewhere between 1.5% and 3.5% of a sale all-told, so offering cash should be able to get one a bit of a discount.

I probably wouldn't go for it on something like a lawn mower, because the credit card offers the ability to dispute the charge if there turns out to be a problem and the seller won't put it right.  But there's usually a flat charge of $0.05-$0.1 in addition to the percent, so on small items one can often gain a little discount offering cash.

https://www.merchantmaverick.com/the-complete-guide-to-credit-card-processing-rates-and-fees/

Some of the restaurants in this area, particularly independent ethnic restaurants, outright offer a discount for paying in cash and have little signs posted or even in the menu, stating this.

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No

The price is what it is, buy it or don't

And I completely respect that viewpoint.  If someone tells me their price is firm, that's just what I do, buy it or walk.

But hopefully you can recognize that isn't how everyone prices things or does business, so it's not intended as some kind of personal insult if someone shows up and asks to buy at a lower price.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Savvy guy, your Dad.  Credit cards charge sellers somewhere between 1.5% and 3.5% of a sale all-told, so offering cash should be able to get one a bit of a discount.

I probably wouldn't go for it on something like a lawn mower, because the credit card offers the ability to dispute the charge if there turns out to be a problem and the seller won't put it right.  But there's usually a flat charge of $0.05-$0.1 in addition to the percent, so on small items one can often gain a little discount offering cash.

https://www.merchantmaverick.com/the-complete-guide-to-credit-card-processing-rates-and-fees/

Some of the restaurants in this area, particularly independent ethnic restaurants, outright offer a discount for paying in cash and have little signs posted or even in the menu, stating this.

And I completely respect that viewpoint.  If someone tells me their price is firm, that's just what I do, buy it or walk.

But hopefully you can recognize that isn't how everyone prices things or does business, so it's not intended as some kind of personal insult if someone shows up and asks to buy at a lower price.

It's very rude imo

It's not incumbent on the seller to inform the prospective buyer that the price listed is in fact the price

Assuming a business is open to negotiating their prices is wildly entitled behavior

Just now, GoBills808 said:

It's very rude imo

It's not incumbent on the seller to inform the prospective buyer that the price listed is in fact the price

Assuming a business is open to negotiating their prices is wildly entitled behavior

Well, I wanted to know what folks think, so thank you very much for your response.

Would you say it's "coercive" to try to negotiate, and if so, can you explain why?

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

It's very rude imo

"Would you be able to do better on that price?" certainly does not equate with "Bah, I'll give you $250 instead of your tag of 279."  It is very much in the delivery.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Well, I wanted to know what folks think, so thank you very much for your response.

Would you say it's "coercive" to try to negotiate, and if so, can you explain why?

I think coercive is kind of strong but there are a lot of specific instances where the buyer's purchasing power exceeds the vendor's

1 hour ago, muppy said:

I am an ebay seller. A few transactions on poshmark. I've been doing it as a part time business since 2005. 

I have used a  "buy it now"  as well as "Buy it now, will accept offers. It involves pricing strategy, going up or down trying  to entice purchases.

Im trying to sell remaining inventory and be done with it  Except as a favor for a friend or church should I be asked.

It started for me as a way to be able to upgrade, change and purchase my own designer handbag collection. that is my specialty. I have a dream collection of about  60 I am keeping the rest selling.

It helps to know what an item has previously sold for. Often people will sell a bag not knowing how much it is actually worth. Condition and price are key. I have flipped bags and made hundreds on some broke even on some and lost on others.

I'm thinking of trimming down my possessions by selling them on eBay. I have quite a few "New In Box" items. A nice stereo and speakers, a Boat GPS navigator, and some other stuff.

How do you ship? I'm worried about getting scammed. Can you recommend a book or website where I can learn more about being an eBay seller?

47 minutes ago, boater said:

I'm thinking of trimming down my possessions by selling them on eBay. I have quite a few "New In Box" items. A nice stereo and speakers, a Boat GPS navigator, and some other stuff.

How do you ship? I'm worried about getting scammed. Can you recommend a book or website where I can learn more about being an eBay seller?

their shipping interface is very user friendly and offers pricing for all major shipping vendors. My experience has been that the bigger/heavier the item UPS or Fedex ground is likely he cheapest as long as arrival time isn't an issue.

Choose 3 day shipping/handeling policy for yourself . If you make it shorter ebay will penalize you money .if you don't ship in time according to your preferences

Make sure your weights are accurate and size dimensions they will come back to retreive additional shipping costs if you make a mistake. no bueno

If you offer all your items as "standard" then when you are purchasing the  shipping label by inputting he weight and box dimension you choose what is best for you

ebay shipping is cheaper than buying i from carriers directly. Purchase a ebay websie. Paypal is my payment processor

the closer the seller lives to the buyer the cheaper is shipping cost. Unless you are using USPS flat. rate priority boxes. Which I often do.

USPS Priority will pick up from your home 2-3 day delivery. I have had maybe 10 issues in thousands of transactions

I would advise not to accept returns. Buyers still can make claims if an item is wrong somehow. But it is just a hassle IMO so I choose not to deal with it

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, muppy said:

their shipping interface is very user friendly and offers pricing for all major shipping vendors. My experience has been that the bigger/heavier the item UPS or Fedex ground is likely he cheapest as long as arrival time isn't an issue.

Choose 3 day shipping/handeling policy for yourself . If you make it shorter ebay will penalize you money .if you don't ship in time according to your preferences

Make sure your weights are accurate and size dimensions they will come back to retreive additional shipping costs if you make a mistake. no bueno

If you offer all your items as "standard" then when you are purchasing the  shipping label by inputting he weight and box dimension you choose what is best for you

ebay shipping is cheaper than buying i from carriers directly. Purchase a ebay websie. Paypal is my payment processor

the closer the seller lives to the buyer the cheaper is shipping cost. Unless you are using USPS flat. rate priority boxes. Which I often do.

USPS Priority will pick up from your home 2-3 day delivery. I have had maybe 10 issues in thousands of transactions

I would advise not to accept returns. Buyers still can make claims if an item is wrong somehow. But it is just a hassle IMO so I choose not to deal with it

I have a question, Muppy,  have you had any problems with fraud or with claims against you?  We've sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay, no problems.  We take pains to describe things accurately by researching what similar things have actually sold for, and we take lots of pictures.

We had one problem with "as is" sales where the person claimed the item we sold didn't work (it was sold as "working when removed, as is, no returns").  They wouldn't work with us to try to troubleshoot, demanded that we refund them AND pay for their shipping and return shipping if we wanted it back.  It was just very fishy, mostly because they wouldn't talk to us to try to see if we could help them get it to work.  Ebay handled it by refunding their money AND finding us not at fault so we kept their payment, and of course we got horrid feedback from them.  I felt that was really a "buyer's remorse" issue where the person got excited and bid over what they really should have paid for the item and just wanted out of the sale.

I've heard that's an increasing problem, have you experienced this?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I have a question, Muppy,  have you had any problems with fraud or with claims against you?  We've sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay, no problems.  We take pains to describe things accurately by researching what similar things have actually sold for, and we take lots of pictures.

We had one problem with "as is" sales where the person claimed the item we sold didn't work (it was sold as "working when removed, as is, no returns").  They wouldn't work with us to try to troubleshoot, demanded that we refund them AND pay for their shipping and return shipping if we wanted it back.  It was just very fishy, mostly because they wouldn't talk to us to try to see if we could help them get it to work.  Ebay handled it by refunding their money AND finding us not at fault so we kept their payment, and of course we got horrid feedback from them.  I felt that was really a "buyer's remorse" issue where the person got excited and bid over what they really should have paid for the item and just wanted out of the sale.

I've heard that's an increasing problem, have you experienced this?

Fraud indeed exists  but for me not so much, USPS snafus have occurred incurring long waits for delivery. Bu doing what I bolded is the best you can do to protect yourself.

I've had to report on a few counterfeit bags as a buyer. The sellers didn't know the difference and it resolved quickly

As a seller I have been able to settle any issues with buyers before it escalated to a claim. One lady wanted a full refund saying she never received the item.. I had tracking proof it had been delivered. Case Closed.   

I would say overall people are honest in my dealings. Handbags is a much different category than electrical stuff though

take picture as proof to document everything to save headaches later.

anything else ask away

@boaterebay website has online complete tutorials. I would download their app and use your phone camera to download pics. You can always go to a laptop and edit later.

Listing on ebay isn't hard. You may need to research what your items category so it will receive exposure to he buyers you want.

you can search the recent sold items price to get an idea of what your item could sell for. currently

Good luck 🙂

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

I don’t have to bargain, Goodwill takes almost everything!  😋  

We’ve already accumulated more stuff than we could ever use. Not always wisely. 

But we keep getting more “stuff”, and I buy it at their price, or I don’t buy it.  Mrs Augie loves the hunt of buying a new car against some poor car sales guy. Like a chef sharpening her knives.  A wolf sharpening its fangs would be offensive, so I won’t reference that (in case she were to check in 😂). 

My mother was once thrown out of a market in Acapulco for taking it too far. She saw it as a sport. She’s 95 now, and still feisty! 

• Like (+1) 1

I'll haggle over the price of a car and a house, but that's about it. I've only bought a couple of things on eBay, and I never bid, I just paid the "Buy it now" price if I thought it was worth it.

For what it's worth, we don't buy a lot of stuff, and what we buy usually comes from a store or online retailer, not an individual. So on the occasions when we do buy from a private entity, we just pay what they're asking or we don't buy it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.