Do you bargain?

Beck Water

Do you bargain?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy or sell household items/tools from yard sales or online sites such as Facebook Marketplace, Craig's list? (choose all that apply)

• Yes -Facebook Marketplace
    • Yes - Craig's List
    • Yes - Yard Sales
    • Yes - Flea markets
    • Yes - Thrift Shops
    • Other - say where in comments
    • No
  2. 2. If you do, do you bargain/accept bargaining?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't buy stuff from those places, so not relevant
  3. 3. If the seller (you, if you're the seller) doesn't want to bargain, how do you indicate this?

• Mark it "Firm"/expect to see it marked or have the seller say "Firm"
    • I don't indicate this - it's bad manners to show up and bargain
    • Other - please explain in comments
    • I don'tbuy stuff from those places, so not relevant

45 minutes ago, Augie said:

I don’t have to bargain, Goodwill takes almost everything!  😋  

We’ve already accumulated more stuff than we could ever use. Not always wisely. 

But we keep getting more “stuff”, and I buy it at their price, or I don’t buy it.  Mrs Augie loves the hunt of buying a new car against some poor car sales guy. Like a chef sharpening her knives.  A wolf sharpening its fangs would be offensive, so I won’t reference that (in case she were to check in 😂). 

My mother was once thrown out of a market in Acapulco for taking it too far. She saw it as a sport. She’s 95 now, and still feisty! 

That's actually....impressive.  I have friends who have visited Mexico and bargained like anything in the markets

I don't think wolves sharpen their fangs.  They just use them.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Depends on the thrift store here.  Usually Goodwill is a "no", they don't bargain unless you note a condition flaw or something missing.  Then they might, though for clothes they don't seem to as a matter of policy.  I guess maybe some people damage stuff.  The "flea market" type stores seem to have some leeway to bargain.

If I bargain before I meet up, I wouldn't bargain again after I get there.  The thing is, we buy a fair bit of furniture and condition is very subjective.  Some people honestly describe something as "oak" or "solid wood" and it's actually veneer covered particle board or plywood.   They usually aren't lying or misrepresenting, they honestly don't know.  And one person's "perfect" may be my "yeah, that needs a housecall from the Furniture Doctor".  So my wording is specific "I'd like to come look at it".  I'm not committing to buy.  If someone else buys it 10 minutes before I arrive, that's my problem.

The part that puzzles me is the whole "they only bargain because you coerce them into it" bit.  How does one "coerce someone" into bargaining, short of showing up with a pair of guys in dark suits that bulge under the shoulder?  I can offer someone a price, and they can decline to accept it and state that their price is firm.  Then I can either pay it, or move on and they sell it to the next person.  If there is no next person at their price, then they've probably over-valued their item for the local market and they need to adjust their notions.  Where is the coersion?

I’m not much of a bargainer, if the price is fair for the object I’m good with it.  

As for the “coerce” comment, I know this one—that guy is a d-bag. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:
2 hours ago, Augie said:

My mother was once thrown out of a market in Acapulco for taking it too far. She saw it as a sport. She’s 95 now, and still feisty! 

That's actually....impressive.  I have friends who have visited Mexico and bargained like anything in the markets

My parents went to Acapulco on their honeymoon. They went to the jewelry store and got the deal they wanted.  My mother is half Mexican and half Danish with blonde hair and fair skin. The guys in the store were speaking in Spanish and one said don't go any lower than X not thinking my mom understood them perfectly. 🤣

So the results seem to be, about 10% of ya don't buy from places where bargaining is reasonably common (Marketplace, Craig's List, Yard sales, etc).

Adjusting for those who do, about 60% bargain and 40% don't.

I think that's about right - it's partly a matter of upbringing/cultural background.  I come from a family of bargainers, originally from necessity.

Those who don't bargain, mostly don't have a problem with those who bargain (or try) - just say "firm" or "that's really the price I want".

But, there are some who don't bargain, and who feel very strongly that it's bad manners (rude, entitled etc).

Personally, I don't get it - all very well if you don't want to bargain, but if you know there are cultures/backgrounds where bargaining is common, how does it help a sale to get offended?  But, I know it's out there now, so it won't take me aback if I run into it again.

On 5/12/2023 at 2:23 AM, Beck Water said:

I can tell you squirrels sharpen their teeth. I learned this when they started doing it on the bistro lights hanging in the backyard. I was finding bulbs around the yard, so the landscape guy brought me some spray to keep them away. That must be some nasty stuff, because they stopped chewing my wires and they never came back. 

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So the results seem to be, about 10% of ya don't buy from places where bargaining is reasonably common (Marketplace, Craig's List, Yard sales, etc).

I think that's about right - it's partly a matter of upbringing/cultural background.  I come from a family of bargainers, originally from necessity.

Those who don't bargain, mostly don't have a problem with those who bargain (or try) - just say "firm" or "that's really the price I want".

But, there are some who don't bargain, and who feel very strongly that it's bad manners (rude, entitled etc).

Personally, I don't get it - all very well if you don't want to bargain, but if you know there are cultures/backgrounds where bargaining is common, how does it help a sale to get offended?  But, I know it's out there now, so it won't take me aback if I run into it again.

We generally fall into the 10% category (with no bargaining when we do purchase from a private seller) , but we've had a couple of garage sales and I have no problem with those who want to haggle a bit. I've occasionally accepted slightly less than my asking price.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I peruse Facebook marketplace and would buy something from there, or a similar outlet. I have just never found anything I was looking for. 

As far as being a seller, I’ve sold an SUV (FB), a snowblower (FB), a motorcycle (CL) and a Jeep Wrangler (CL). 

I was careful to price all of them fairly.  The SUV, snowblower and motorcycle, I did not state “firm,” and was happy to dicker.  All good and fair experiences. 

The Jeep, I listed as firm and specifically stated, “The price is firm. Unless you are prepared to hand me $11,000 cash in exchange for the Jeep, please don’t waste your time or mine.”  I sold it to the first person who looked at it and he did not attempt to dicker. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Usually not, with one exception. One of my hobbies is model railroading, specifically the Santa Fe between 1945 and 1959. Many of the locomotives of that time frame are only available in brass, and of some models only 25 - 100 were produced. Consequently, the prices are high, even for previously owned stuff (I intentionally did not call it "used", as in most cases the previous owner never took it out of the box or the display case). I have a long-standing relationship with one of the smaller dealers in this field, and he usually gives me 10-20% discount if I ask for it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2023 at 4:04 AM, Augie said:

I can tell you squirrels sharpen their teeth. I learned this when they started doing it on the bistro lights hanging in the backyard. I was finding bulbs around the yard, so the landscape guy brought me some spray to keep them away. That must be some nasty stuff, because they stopped chewing my wires and they never came back. 

WHAT IS THE BRAND OF THAT SPRAY?

I'm asking because of our own squirrel-tooth story.  We do a Christmas lights in our yard every year, where we spiral lights up two trees that flank our walkway and then swag lights between the trees.  We've done one or another variant of this every year for a couple decades.

About 5 years ago, the squirrels decided to chomp through the strands spiraling up one tree.  We replaced it, only to have "Chewy" do it again.

We went through about 5 brands of squirrel repellant from big box and garden stores.  Chomp.  Some worked for a week, but as they wore off...CHOMP

Finally I read that the "hair of a predator" might deter them.  We have this 45 lb critter who donates a bag of white fur every time she's brushed.  So, we took a strand of lights and stuffed tufts of white hair in between every twist.  That did it.  Lights stayed lit.  Bonus, since the fur is white, it looks like some kind of planned Christmas decor during the day.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

WHAT IS THE BRAND OF THAT SPRAY?

I'm asking because of our own squirrel-tooth story.  We do a Christmas lights in our yard every year, where we spiral lights up two trees that flank our walkway and then swag lights between the trees.  We've done one or another variant of this every year for a couple decades.

About 5 years ago, the squirrels decided to chomp through the strands spiraling up one tree.  We replaced it, only to have "Chewy" do it again.

We went through about 5 brands of squirrel repellant from big box and garden stores.  Chomp.  Some worked for a week, but as they wore off...CHOMP

Finally I read that the "hair of a predator" might deter them.  We have this 45 lb critter who donates a bag of white fur every time she's brushed.  So, we took a strand of lights and stuffed tufts of white hair in between every twist.  That did it.  Lights stayed lit.  Bonus, since the fur is white, it looks like some kind of planned Christmas decor during the day.

Traveling right now, so I can’t look to be sure. I believe it is Critter Ridder. He just gave it to us, least he could do after what we spent with him.  Not sure if it’s great stuff, or if our squirrel got sloppy crossing the road one day, but the problem ended. I like your holiday solution, though! 

On 5/15/2023 at 11:16 PM, Beck Water said:

There is a 3rd party you didn’t mention.

Those of us who have no problem if others want to bargain, but be upfront about it. Not a secretive little secret squirrel.

• Agree 1

That would annoy me as well.

The seller told you the price (you read it in the ad). And you decided to come see the item, knowing the price.

If you want to bargain, let the seller know that you are not interested in paying the listed price (that is posted in the ad that you responded to) BEFORE they alter their day to accommodate you.

That way, the seller can make an informed decision of whether or not they are willing to still meet you, and they have time to consider whether they would accept less.

The husband is right. What you did is sort of a con.

You likely didn’t tell them that you wanted a discounted price prior to meeting, because you reason that the other party will be more likely to accept your discounted offer when they are put on the spot and they’ve already altered their day to meet you.

Their time is already sunk so they give in and let you pay less.

Its acting in bad faith.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.