Bills RB Latavius Murray to build community center near Syracuse

WhoTom

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-rb-latavius-murray-to-build-community-center-for-late-best-friend-jon-diaz

On Saturday evening, Murray hosted the Inaugural Jon Diaz Community Center Foundation Gala in Syracuse, NY to raise funds to build a community center in Nedrow, which is just over two hours away from Buffalo. The RB grew up going to local Boys and Girls Clubs and YMCAs which inspired him to influence the younger generation back home.

The Jon Diaz Community Center (JDCC) will be a safe and accessible place for people to connect, collaborate, and create change.

It's named for his friend, Jon Diaz, who was killed in 2016. Here's the story behind that:

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2016/11/a_syracuse_teacher_loved_by_all_death_of_jonathan_diaz_will_take_a_long_time_to.html

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

Yup, and great timing for him to become a Bill.  He is now a few hours drive from the site too, so he can be even more involved.

It is an excellent location too, so should get a lot of Nedrow and city kids involved and improve their lives

It wouldn't shock me if Murray ended up on the PS. Not saying he won't make the active roster...he definitely can.

However, I feel like him coming to Buffalo is more of him seeing a final paycheck before retirement. The added incentive of being able to be home and set up his post career life with outstanding contributions like this that he wants to be a part of and oversee. 

The bonus would be the Bills would free up a roster spot and have him if injury hits (I like Harris but his health is a question) and he gets time in the local area to set up. If we need him he's there to play and I believe he would play well.  Could very well have an understanding and a "wink and nod" agreement with the Bills of this is the case.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It wouldn't shock me if Murray ended up on the PS. Not saying he won't make the active roster...he definitely can.

However, I feel like him coming to Buffalo is more of him seeing a final paycheck before retirement. The added incentive of being able to be home and set up his post career life with outstanding contributions like this that he wants to be a part of and oversee. 

The bonus would be the Bills would free up a roster spot and have him if injury hits (I like Harris but his health is a question) and he gets time in the local area to set up. If we need him he's there to play and I believe he would play well.  Could very well have an understanding and a "wink and nod" agreement with the Bills of this is the case.

With Taiwan Jones nowhere to be found Murray has as good a chance as any to make the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

With Taiwan Jones nowhere to be found Murray has as good a chance as any to make the roster. 

He does, sure. But Jones was a RB by name only. His spot isn't necessary reserved for a RB...it's going to go to whomever the ST replacement is for him. Could be an extra WR or DB just as easily active on GameDay. Murray doesn't play ST.  

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I really disagree with the practice squad idea with Murray--not going to happen.

He has 2-3 years left-- maybe-- for his NFL career and has been very successful.  True  even last year as an 'old' running back with the Broncos, a one dimensional team with a passing game that no team was concerned about.  But Murray still gained over 700 yards in just 12 games with the Broncos, and 4.4 yards per carry.

The Bills have limited running backs, lost their best back and starter in Singletarry, and Cook has never been an every down back in college or the NFL.

I think Murray will play a great deal this year and make a clear difference for the Bills. If Dorsey's head is now screwed into place correctly.

No way Murray spends one of his few remaining years left in the NFL on the practice squad.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

He does, sure. But Jones was a RB by name only. His spot isn't necessary reserved for a RB...it's going to go to whomever the ST replacement is for him. Could be an extra WR or DB just as easily active on GameDay. Murray doesn't play ST.  

Or maybe Sean/Beane is changing there way of thinking that putting so much investment in the ST is not as smart as they thought it was. 

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

Or maybe Sean/Beane is changing there way of thinking that putting so much investment in the ST is not as smart as they thought it was. 

Maybe. Not likely, but who knows. Seems like another case of fans projecting what they think into what the Bills may do. 

6 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

I really disagree with the practice squad idea with Murray--not going to happen.

He has 2-3 years left-- maybe-- for his NFL career and has been very successful.  True  even last year as an 'old' running back with the Broncos, a one dimensional team with a passing game that no team was concerned about.  But Murray still gained over 700 yards in just 12 games with the Broncos, and 4.4 yards per carry.

The Bills have limited running backs, lost their best back and starter in Singletarry, and Cook has never been an every down back in college or the NFL.

I think Murray will play a great deal this year and make a clear difference for the Bills. If Dorsey's head is now screwed into place correctly.

No way Murray spends one of his few remaining years left in the NFL on the practice squad.

I mean, I do mention that he could very well end up on the roster. However, seems to me more like he would profile as the direct backup to Harris in the power game. 

As for the part I bolded: It's always a risk to assume a players thought process. We don't know what his train of thought is. Perhaps he wants to be on the field and play every snap he can. Perhaps he wouldn't mind a lighter workload than he had last year as his pursuits aren't limited to just football. Coming back here and already setting up post career avenues was however a clear indicator that he sees a bigger picture than just carrying a football for the next 2-3 years.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

We guaranteed him $800k.  Not a lot of money, but I think they really want him as Harris insurance and would rather not risk losing him.  I think he’s going to be on the roster and inactive most weeks. 

24 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We guaranteed him $800k.  Not a lot of money, but I think they really want him as Harris insurance and would rather not risk losing him.  I think he’s going to be on the roster and inactive most weeks. 

Could very well be. However with his off field endeavors, I could honestly see him turning down an active spot with another team to stay here and get that underway and running. Hence the "wink and nod" where if there is a roster spot needed he's one to get put on PS with the mutual understanding that he's staying local. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Could very well be. However with his off field endeavors, I could honestly see him turning down an active spot with another team to stay here and get that underway and running. Hence the "wink and nod" where if there is a roster spot needed he's one to get put on PS with the mutual understanding that he's staying local. 

Maybe….  

Solid thought, but I just don’t see him turning down a chance to play and get paid even more.  Nfl RBs get the $ shaft.  Intentionally giving himself the $ shaft while also keeping himself off an nfl roster and getting snaps is moronic imo.   Especially at his age.  He’s made just under 20M in 10 seasons before taxes and fees. He looked pretty good last year.  Sitting on the PS the entire year could ruin any chance of playing for another team next season.  While playing well could get him another mill.

it’ll be interesting to see how they handle this given the 800k guaranteed 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Maybe….  

Solid thought, but I just don’t see him turning down a chance to play and get paid even more.  Nfl RBs get the $ shaft.  Intentionally giving himself the $ shaft while also keeping himself off an nfl roster and getting snaps is moronic imo.   Especially at his age.  He’s made just under 20M in 10 seasons before taxes and fees. He looked pretty good last year.  Sitting on the PS the entire year could ruin any chance of playing for another team next season.  While playing well could get him another mill.

it’ll be interesting to see how they handle this given the 800k guaranteed 

Like I said, just a gut feeling, but I think he's in the 'more than football" stage of his career. They very well may have given him a slightly higher guarantee to get him to agree to this kind of placement. FWIW, Buffalo did the same IIRC with Duke Johnson last year at the start of the season. 

Besides, with 3 call-ups and the better than average chance we get injury to the RB room...even if he starts on PS I would figure he'll be moved up by the end of the year. Good way to keep the old guy fresh as well haha

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Like I said, just a gut feeling, but I think he's in the 'more than football" stage of his career. They very well may have given him a slightly higher guarantee to get him to agree to this kind of placement. FWIW, Buffalo did the same IIRC with Duke Johnson last year at the start of the season. 

Besides, with 3 call-ups and the better than average chance we get injury to the RB room...even if he starts on PS I would figure he'll be moved up by the end of the year. Good way to keep the old guy fresh as well haha

I hear ya.  When we signed him, I figured he’d end up like Duke did last year.  The guaranteed money is much different though.  377k compared to 800k.  That much gtd for a backup RB could actually prove to your point though. We may have gtd him that much money along with a wink and a nod that he rejects offers from other teams we want him as our 4th RB…. Only he’s on the ps.  I would prefer that to be the case as it would allow us another roster spot for a young player that could be poached from the PS.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

So the Bills will sign him to a $1.3 million dollar contract and he'll turn down an opportunity to play? That makes no sense and goes against everything he said upon signing.  Are you just making stuff up?

7 hours ago, klos63 said:

So the Bills will sign him to a $1.3 million dollar contract and he'll turn down an opportunity to play? That makes no sense and goes against everything he said upon signing.  Are you just making stuff up?

You say $1.3M like that's a high end deal. It's really not. The Bills cut OJ Howard after one TC and ate around $3M in dead cap alone. 

As far as "Going against what he said"...2 points to make there. First, you do realize that when players do these press conferences they are just saying what needs to be said, right? Hitting the checklist so to speak. "Play in front of the best fans in the NFL" or "Win a ring"...these are things that get the fans to say "Oh I like this dude". Second, players have lives, hopes and goals outside of a football field. Sounds weird...but like us they are more than their job. Is his priority carrying a football or setting himself up for life after football? I have no idea what his mindset is....but neither do you. Murray has also eluded to his goals in the local community. This Center he's opening is proof of that and him trying to plant roots around here.

As far as am I making stuff up...well, I have said that I am going by a gut feeling. So, in a sense of the word, yeah...it's kind of what people do on a message board. Offer their read on a situation. 

Also, there have been quite a few times where a player on the PS will turn down an offer for a roster spot with another team to stay where they are. This isn't unheard of. Especially when it's something the team has discussed with a player and laid a plan out before hand. The Bills would also have the option to elevate Murray to the active roster should another team try and poach him. Last year he started out on the Saints PS. Shows he's open to a practice squad slot, does it not? Further more, should another team come sniffing around for him The Bills have the option to elevate him off the PS to the active roster to block it. The Saints chose not to last year when the Broncos came for him. And the Broncos came after him only when they lost...what 4 RBs before that? And not one other team had come after him before that. 

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.