Have we bridged the playoff gap?

Einstein

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I know that this is a common theory, but in my opinion it ignores a mountain of evidence.

For example, the Bengals walked down the field and scored a TD, and were carving up chunks of yards again on their second drive before Hamlin went down.

The Dolphins gave us all we could handle the week before, and that was with a 3rd string QB (yes, I know the Dolphins offense did very little, but the game was still very tight). We lost to Zach Wilson and the Jets too.

I think it was more than an aberration.

Cinci walked down on a D filled with injured players and backups along the DL and secondary.  They had a better game plan that day.  True that the Cinci OL was banged up- but with no one to take advantage of them, the advantage was NIL,  KC was healthy and had the talent to take advantage and did 

the chiefs didn’t walk down the field on us IN KC in the 4th quarter.  Their 4th quarter possessions ended as such:  

- Von Miller tackle on Mahomes forced a fg. 

- Von Miller sack- punt

- Von Miller hurry- interception.  

so what gap is there to close with KC?  We beat them in KC without Hyde and Tre.  They stayed healthy.  We were decimated.

Health and coaching game plans-  the roster is fine. And now we have Dalton Kincaid 🤣 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Yeah I think that’s probably true. McDermott is a more aggressive situational play caller. But the defensive philosophy is the same.

Yeah if it’s “luck”, then the Patriots had a lucky horseshoe up their arse for two decades.

No the scheme would be the same. The philosophy could be completely different.

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They lost a total of 3 games in the regular season by 8 points. Not sure what you are trying to get at.

I was talking about the game that happened literally the week before the Bengals game. Not a Week 4 regular season game like the Chiefs and Colts.

The Dolphins, with their 3rd string QB, took the Bills down to the final seconds in the playoffs, and we were at home! Dolphins we’re around midfield, down only 3, and having put 31 points on the board, with a couple minutes left in the game.

That was just a week before the Bengals blasted us.

If the Bengals game was an aberration, what was the Dolphins game just a week prior?

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

On paper we got better in some areas and worse on others. In all I don’t see an upgrade more of status quo. Hopefully the OL changes are what tilts the scale. 
However, the gap is not a real thing. The AFC has a bunch of good teams. It’s about coaching, luck, injuries and who shows up to play. 

Worst on D maybe, although it will be interesting to see how Hyde without Edmunds compares to Edmunds without Hyde...it may actually be a wash which could surprise some.

11 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I don’t think we are getting any change in philosophy on defense. McD and Frazier have the same defensive philosophy.

Oh yeah,  that carolina buddy of yours.  🤣 too funny.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I was talking about the game that happened literally the week before the Bengals game. Not a Week 4 regular season game like the Chiefs and Colts.

The Dolphins, with their 3rd string QB, took the Bills down to the final seconds in the playoffs, and we were at home! Dolphins we’re around midfield, down only 3, and having put 31 points on the board, with a couple minutes left in the game.

That was just a week before the Bengals blasted us.

If the Bengals game was an aberration, what was the Dolphins game just a week prior?

I think it shows the Bills were not mentally right going into the playoffs. Or they let off the gas the week before and started trying to blow them out instead of just coasting to victory. Allen started pushing the ball every chance he got even when they were up big and it was his turnovers that allowed them back in the game. If the Bills simply decided to reign the offense in a little and cruise to victory, they would have won by 3 scores. Perhaps it showed an arrogance that they shouldn't have had at a time when they didn't need it. They were trying to win the game 55-0 instead of 31-10.

Edited by Big Turk

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Sure, it takes luck .. I’ll certainly give you that.  If Chris Jones tears his ACL instead of Von Miller, they aren’t the 1 seed and they certainly don’t rep the AFC in the Super Bowl.  

On the flip side… does it?  The Pats dominated the AFC with Brady/Belichick and now KC is beginning to do the same with Mahomes/Reid. 

So, yea, it takes luck .. but luck doesn’t really explain it all when you keep flipping a coin and it constantly lands on the same side. 

I can't compare Brady to anyone because there is nobody like him.

But I'd say Mahomes is pretty darn lucky, the 13 seonds is straight up luck and the hold in the SB that got them that TD was pretty darn lucky imo, some will argue it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The Pats mostly dominated because their division was so weak

Belichick has almost the same winning % against NON-divisional opponents than he does against the AFC East.

Through 2021: 

Against AFC-East: .718

Against rest of league: .719

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

You should tack Damien Harris onto your added list since he's essentially Motor's replacement.

You’re right. Thank you. 

18 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

“Bridge the gap”?? What are you even talking about?

Right? 37 wins over last 3 seasons, second only to KC’s 40. Not much to bridge there , but they do need better defensive strategy/ execution in playoff games. Offense was a no show all the way around in loss to Bengals , Josh’s worst playoff appearance to date. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Cinci walked down on a D filled with injured players and backups along the DL and secondary.  They had a better game plan that day.  True that the Cinci OL was banged up- but with no one to take advantage of them, the advantage was NIL,  KC was healthy and had the talent to take advantage and did 

the chiefs didn’t walk down the field on us IN KC in the 4th quarter.  Their 4th quarter possessions ended as such:  

- Von Miller sack- punt

so what gap is there to close with KC?  We beat them in KC without Hyde and Tre.  They stayed healthy.  We were decimated.

Health and coaching game plans-  the roster is fine. And now we have Dalton Kincaid 🤣 

@Billl

care to elaborate on the eye roll?  

as if missing elite players doesn’t have an impact on games. How many elite players did KC miss last year?  

I clearly remember KC getting trounced by tampa bay in the Super Bowl.  Why did they get embarrassed that game?  Think it might have had to do with injuries along the OL?

Or was it Mahomes not playing well enough to beat them?  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Von Miller was supposed to be the difference maker. He wasn't around for the playoffs. While many think we took a step back we might benefit with his addition as well as Micah back. If Kincaid can man the slot it definitely brings a new dynamic presence to the offense. 

It’s actually quite energizing if one were to look at the premium “additions” to our team compared to KC and CIN. 

All three of us lost a big piece or piece(s), but nothing that should dramatically shake anything up.  

All three also swapped in/out players, but again.. nothing that should really shake anything up. 

Premium additions:

CIN adds a stud LT, another good pass rusher in the draft (Murphy), a good CB prospect (Turner) and get back their top CB off a season ending injury last year. 

KC adds another good pass rusher (Uzomah) and another WR2 caliber player (Rice) in the draft. 

BUF adds an elite pass rusher and top tier safety off season ending injury.   Also add an elite potential TE/WR hybrid and an elite potential Guard in the draft. 

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

- Von Miller sack- punt

I agree with the vast majority of this. Certainly a better explanation than 37 wins over 3 seasons being some kind of mirage. I do think Beane needs to add a legit weapon at WR2 to put the Bills over the top and into the SB. Still have time to do that. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It’s actually quite energizing if one were to look at the premium “additions” to our team compared to KC and CIN. 

All three of us lost a big piece or piece(s), but nothing that should dramatically shake anything up.  

All three also swapped in/out players, but again.. nothing that should really shake anything up. 

Premium additions:

CIN adds a stud LT, another good pass rusher in the draft (Murphy), a good CB prospect (Turner) and get back their top CB off a season ending injury last year. 

KC adds another good pass rusher (Uzomah) and another WR2 caliber player (Rice) in the draft. 

BUF adds an elite pass rusher and top tier safety off season ending injury.   Also add an elite potential TE/WR hybrid and an elite potential Guard in the draft. 

Chiefs lost Frank Clark, Thornhill and Wylie this off-season. Chris Jones is also headed into the final season of his contract, so they’ll either have to re-sign him to a gigantic deal next year or franchise him.

Cinci may be the new team to beat going forward, but having Mahomes always gives the Chiefs a chance.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

I agree with the vast majority of this. Certainly a better explanation than 37 wins over 3 seasons being some kind of mirage. I do think Beane needs to add a legit weapon at WR2 to put the Bills over the top and into the SB. Still have time to do that. 

We added Kincaid.  It doesn’t matter if that weapon is WR2 or slot imo.  As long as we have a reliable target in the middle of the field, we’ll be fine.  Maybe I’m biased as Kincaid was my #1 target in the draft, but I think we have something much more than a reliable target in the middle of the field now.  Just keep him healthy. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Success said:

Personally, I don't think there was much to bridge.  We lost too many guys last year, and with all of the emotion around Hamlin, we weren't the same team in the playoffs.  

We beat KC at their place earlier in the season. Then the wheels kind of fell off.

But I'd say we improved more than our top competition this offseason.  The FA acquisitions and draft picks all make us tougher, more physical, more difficult to stop on offense.  We'll have a true running game for the 1st time since JA got here.  Miller & Hyde will be back, along with key defenders who were playing hurt at the end - Poyer, Phillips, Jones.  

Can't wait.

IF we bridge the injury gap then the good times will roll.  And IF we get some bully attitude we will steam roll!! Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Chiefs lost Frank Clark, Thornhill and Wylie this off-season. Chris Jones is also headed into the final season of his contract, so they’ll either have to re-sign him to a gigantic deal next year or franchise him.

Cinci may be the new team to beat going forward, but having Mahomes always gives the Chiefs a chance.

Yea, but they signed Omenihu and drafted Wanya Morris … they, like us and CIN made moves to swap in guys to replace guys. 

Id be shocked if they don’t eventually extend Jones and he still has quite a few prime years left in him.  

The only concern I’d have if I’m them is when does Kelce slow down.   Given our luck, he’s the Tom Brady of Tight Ends. 

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The Bills have been regular-season-good for many seasons now. But we haven’t been able to break through in the playoffs.

We got blown out by the Bengals in the playoffs by 17 points. Some argue that we were simply out of mental steam due to the Hamlin situation. However, we also did not look good in the limited action we saw of the first Bengals matchup (pre-Hamlin injury). The Bengals walked down the field and scored a TD, and they were walking down the field again when the injury occurred. 

I think we can all admit that despite our record, the second half of last season wasn’t very comfortable. We lost to the Zach Wilson led Jets. We lost to the Vikings. We barely squeaked by the Dolphins at home. We needed a heroic last second throw and catch by Allen and Diggs to beat the Lions.

So here is my question - Is what we’ve done this off-season been enough to bridge the gap between the Bills and Bengals/Playoff Chiefs (playoff Chiefs are different than regular season Chiefs)?

Added:

Dalton Kincaid (love this)

O’Cyrus Torrence (love this)

Connor McGovern

Taylor Rapp

Deonte Harty

Trent Sherfield

Damien Harris

Micah Hyde comes back

Lost:

Tremaine Edmunds

Isaiaah McKenzie

Roger Saffold (addition by subtraction)

Jake Kumerow 

Cole Beasley

Jamison Crowder

Devin Singletary

I think we did get better. Kincaid brings something to this offense we have literally never had before. Ever. 

We re-tooled 40% of our o-line with McGovern and Torrence, and removing Saffold is addition by subtraction by itself. I don’t have much faith in Harty and Sherfield, but I refuse to believe they’ll give us any less than Crowder and McKenzie did last season.

What’s your thoughts? 

honestly, I think much of the above is pretty limited in moving the needle. 

the guy is Miller, and the question is that knee. We brought him in to close out big games and our season likely goes as his recovery goes (barring other significant injury issues cropping up)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.