On Running Backs

Big Blitz

30 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

No one puts Bijon Robinson and Edwards-Helaire in the same sentence.  That’s comparing apples and toaster ovens.  

The Bills have an elite QB who does throw the ball 40 times a game and it’s obviously not been enough to win a championship.

Its easy to ignore the run game and drop everyone into coverage when there’s an average RB behind Allen or Mahomes.  Put Robinson back behind them and now you’ve gotta make a hard choice as a defense.  A smart QB, like Josh and Mahomes will audible every time to take advantage of the mismatch the defense gives them.

The Bills can field that advantage, or the Chiefs can field that advantage.  I know where I stand on that choice.

I hope the Texans draft him with one of their two first rounders and save us all from this and then the Bills can grab the two best O-linemen left on the board in the first two rounds.

Trading out Bijan Robinson for James Cook, which is what you'd be doing, would net the Bills precisely zero. 

23 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

No one puts Bijon Robinson and Edwards-Helaire in the same sentence.  That’s comparing apples and toaster ovens.  

Oh I see.........because the other recent, generational, top 10 talent RB's like Saquon and McCaffrey and Fournette have all lived up to their pre-draft hype with HOF type careers in this "post RB" era of football.

You are a prisoner of the draft moment Inigo.

There hasn't been a RB to go in round 1 and live up to the hype since the 2007 draft.

Then 2010 happened..........the rules were changed so QB's could barely be touched in the pocket and WR's couldn't be hit over the middle.

The following season 7 QB's had top 25 all-time passing yardage seasons.

At this point the entire league is built exclusively around players who were developed in a style of game that was born in 2010..........including the old man Aaron Rodgers for whom(along with Roethlisberger) the rules changes were specifically designed to protect and empower.

Since then,  mother's and father's haven't been allowing their babies to grow up to play RB...........those special types now play positions that matter like WR or edge rusher or CB.

It's not a coincidence that there aren't any 1st round RB's out there stringing together dynamic 1,000 yard seasons like the last generation of Peterson and Lynch.

Those days are over.    

Your best RB's today are the backups of yesterday.    Saquon and McCaffrey and Fournette have all failed to be those types but you say Bijan is just that different. :rolleyes:   

Not likely.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Elam 10 times out of 10. It's irrelevant if Hall is a top 5 RB and Elam a bust. You have to draft the position that has more value. 

I really don't think any of your five points are all that true

I totally agree with us

You gotta understand the situation. We had literally no corners going into that draft we did not know for sure what was gonna happen with white, and there were serious concerns about DaneJackson.

Benford ended up being a find which is great, but you can’t count on that with a late round pick

Look at how much running backs are going for and look at how much corners cost if they’re good

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Malazan said:

A nugget that may or may not support this.. The last five Superbowls.. 9 of 10 teams had a running back that was drafted in the first 2 rounds (although it may not have been by them)

Some more data for that nugget. 18 teams that have drafted a RB in the first two rounds.  5 of those 18 teams subsequently made it to the Super Bowl.  Of the 14 teams that have not drafted a RB in the first two rounds, only Bengals and 49ers have made it to a Super Bowl. Looking at the Super Bowl teams during this timeframe, it's pretty obvious a top QB and top defense are the main ingredients.

2022 - Jets, Seahawks, Bills

2021 - Steelers, Jaguars, Broncos

2020 - Chiefs*, Lions, Colts, Rams*, Ravens, Packers

2019 - Raiders, Eagles*

2018 - Giants, Seahawks, Patriots*, Browns, Bucs*, Lions

8 hours ago, mannc said:

The undeniable fact that the Giants should not have drafted Barkley at 2 overall has little or nothing to do with whether or not they needed a QB.  (Of course they should have selected Josh Allen, but at the time, they were still committed to Eli.)  If the Giants weren't going to take a QB themselves, they should have traded out of the pick with a team that wanted one of the QBs (like the Colts did that year, picking up three second round picks from the Jests to move from 3 to 6).  Taking a RB at 2 overall is ALWAYS a mistake, not just when you need a QB.      

How about us we traded Mahomes for a CB I know we got a couple picks more out of that but KC won that trade by miles. 

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

How about us we traded Mahomes for a CB I know we got a couple picks more out of that but KC won that trade by miles. 

My guess is if Reid doesn't call us we pick Lattimore at #10.  Then we likely don't have the ammunition to trade up and get Allen.  They won the trade but saying they won the trade by miles would've been true if we didn't get Allen the following year.  Not to mention we hit on the 27th pick with T. White.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

My guess is if Reid doesn't call us we pick Lattimore at #10.  Then we likely don't have the ammunition to trade up and get Allen.  They won the trade but saying they won the trade by miles would've been true if we didn't get Allen the following year.  Not to mention we hit on the 27th pick with T. White.

I would trade Allen and Tre for Mahomes any day and twice on Sundays . I love Josh but he’s not on same planet as Mahomes . Plus Mahomes will most likely play 5/6 yrs more then Josh does this trade is far from over I my eyes . 

What in was referencing to was we choose to wait on a franchise QB and took corner instead it’s basically the same thing the Giants did with Barkley instead of Allen. 

• Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I would trade Allen and Tre for Mahomes any day and twice on Sundays . I love Josh but he’s not on same planet as Mahomes . Plus Mahomes will most likely play 5/6 yrs more then Josh does this trade is far from over I my eyes . 

What in was referencing to was we choose to wait on a franchise QB and took corner instead it’s basically the same thing the Giants did with Barkley instead of Allen. 

Now do JA with Travis Kelce as his TE.

21 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

You don't just take a QB Willy Nilly. It has to be the right time organizationally. The Bills just weren't there yet in the 2017 draft. Our GM wasn't even hired yet. You had a head coach that was basically calling all the draft shots that year. I totally understand why they were not in the market for a QB that draft. 

So your saying we didn’t possibly trade what could be the greatest QB of all time for a CB and a late first? 

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You don't just take a QB Willy Nilly. It has to be the right time organizationally. The Bills just weren't there yet in the 2017 draft. Our GM wasn't even hired yet. You had a head coach that was basically calling all the draft shots that year. I totally understand why they were not in the market for a QB that draft. 

U buy that crap because I don’t. We got lucky with Josh because if we didn’t get him the organization would be in flames right now and every post here would be about us not taking Mahomes that year.  It’s always the right time to take a QB especially when u don’t have one. 

3 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

So your saying we didn’t possibly trade what could be the greatest QB of all time for a CB and a late first? 

U buy that crap because I don’t. We got lucky with Josh because if we didn’t get him the organization would be in flames right now and every post here would be about us not taking Mahomes that year.  It’s always the right time to take a QB especially when u don’t have one. 

I think it is important to have your GM select the QB. That is why we did not take one in 2017. And let's face it, Mahomes was not a can't miss QB prospect. He fell to  #10 for a reason. It's all 20/0 hindsight nonsense.  

Sure, we got lucky draft Allen the next year, but you can say that about any team that hits on a franchise QB including the Chiefs. They are hard to find. 

6 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Yes he has KELCE but we got way better Wrs 

Fair point, but not plural WR's, 1 WR.  To go with the GOAT TE (at worst #2), Mahomes also has the GOAT offensive HC.  He could have gotten Shanahan 1 like RG3 did and we would have never known.

Would be a fun one to debate another time, don't want to derail this thread!.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think it is important to have your GM select the QB. That is why we did not take one in 2017. And let's face it, Mahomes was not a can't miss QB prospect. He fell to  #10 for a reason. It's all 20/0 hindsight nonsense.  

Sure, we got lucky draft Allen the next year, but you can say that about any team that hits on a franchise QB including the Chiefs. They are hard to find. 

Believe it or not Mahomes was my favorite QB I ever scouted . I thought he was a no brainer pick and that wasn’t hindsight it was vision . I don’t work for any NFL team I scouted him from my computer. 😂 

3 minutes ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Fair point, but not plural WR's, 1 WR.  To go with the GOAT TE (at worst #2), Mahomes also has the GOAT offensive HC.  He could have gotten Shanahan 1 like RG3 did and we would have never known.

Would be a fun one to debate another time, don't want to derail this thread!.

Plural bud they don’t even have a Gabe Davis on there team. Don’t tell me MVS or the ghost of Juju either. 

1 minute ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Believe it or not Mahomes was my favorite QB I ever scouted . I thought he was a no brainer pick and that wasn’t hindsight it was vision . I don’t work for any NFL team I scouted him from my computer. 😂 

Our opinions on QB's are meaningless to the NFL which obviously did not rate Mahomes as highly coming out. Believe it or not I was one of thousands that did not want to draft Josh Allen at any point in the draft. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.