Florio raises an excellent question:

Just now, Billz4ever said:

I do question the FO at times, but I'm not going to be that guy who was ecstatic about our FA signings and then act like I wanted that invested in the O-line instead after the fact.

That's simply not a legitimate argument that can be made.  We didn't know Von was going to go down to a season ending injury and have a ridiculous number of other injuries the team had to deal with all season long. 

This was the same team that looked unbeatable the first part of the season.  Nobody was questioning the line then and nobody expected the line to be as bad as it was down the stretch. 

I did question the terms of the deal at Von's age, but was happy to have him on the team.

The line has been questioned for the past 5 seasons.  

Personally, I want the team to go in a completely different direction on offense and defense, but that's not a popular take around here because it would mean a new coach and GM.  

Josh Allen was the second-highest paid player in the entire NFL when he signed his deal (behind Patrick Mahomes).  His deal was only "team-friendly" in the sense that cap hits could be restructured.  Not because he was terribly underpaid.  The Bills have also spent enough in free agency over the last 2-3 years to be right against the salary cap.  Maybe Florio forgot about the splash signing of Von Miller last year.

So no.  He does not raise an excellent question... at least in the way he phrased it.  He suggested that Allen is being underpaid, and now the Bills are sitting around with a bunch of extra money and refusing to spend it.  That is not true in the slightest.

Now if he wants to question how Brandon Beane has allocated resources to the offensive side of the ball, that's probably a more legitimate concern.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You have convoluted logic.

The other poster was addressing the "fairness" of the Allen Contract which at the time it certainly was.  If they spent money unwisely is irrelevant to what Allen received.

Regardless of what Allen received, the Bills had the tools to build a better offense around him.  They haven't. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Not if they're first to the post.

Roseman's much more creative a GM, I mean just LOOK at what he's engineered with draft picks.

Ah yes, as we all know, superstar trades in the NFL are entirely a case of "who picks up the phone first."  Teams NEVER negotiate with multiple suitors to get a better deal.  I mean, they would be crazy to do so!

I'd like what you're having.

2 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I did question the terms of the deal at Von's age, but was happy to have him on the team.

The line has been questioned for the past 5 seasons.  

Personally, I want the team to go in a completely different direction on offense and defense, but that's not a popular take around here because it would mean a new coach and GM.  

But we both know Beane and McD aren't going anywhere minus the team self-destructing and missing the postseason.  

You make the problems the team has bigger than they are.  They have made strides to improve the line in FA and will probably take it a step further in the draft. 

You're talking about an offense that was one of the best in the league despite the poor line play.  

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Ah yes, as we all know, superstar trades in the NFL are entirely a case of "who picks up the phone first."  Teams NEVER negotiate with multiple suitors to get a better deal.  I mean, they would be crazy to do so!

I'd like what you're having.

Imo the larger issue is the way the team is built conceptually and how that hasn't translated into post season success

Fair game to question cap allocation in that sense for me

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Regardless of what Allen received, the Bills had the tools to build a better offense around him.  They haven't. 

What do you mean regardless of what Allen received. Florios stated premise was the idea Allen should be upset because Allen gave them a "TEAM FRIENDLY" deal which is non-sense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

But we both know Beane and McD aren't going anywhere minus the team self-destructing and missing the postseason.  

You make the problems the team has bigger than they are.  They have made strides to improve the line in FA and will probably take it a step further in the draft. 

You're talking about an offense that was one of the best in the league despite the poor line play.  

The Bills could win the Super Bowl this season.  That's how good they can be. 

None of what's transpiring is lost on me.  I just have my own opinion on what I'd like to see happen, like most here do.

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

Largely imo due to Allen covering for those problems which has been the case for multiple seasons now. They've had what more than three off-seasons to address it now I think

The amount of production the offense generates from Allen doing stuff off schedule the last 3seasons isn't always going to be sustainable

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What do you mean regardless of what Allen received. Florios stated premise was the idea Allen should be upset because Allen gave them a "TEAM FRIENDLY" deal which is non-sense.

That part is incorrect, yes, but don't dismiss that it seems the front office could have better used the resources they've had to build the offense.

The Chargers have Ekeler, Mike Williams and Keenan Allen and by all accounts are looking to add another weapon for Herbert in the draft.  That's what I want to see here.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

The Bills could win the Super Bowl this season.  That's how good they can be. 

None of what's transpiring is lost on me.  I just have my own opinion on what I'd like to see happen, like most here do.

That's what makes you supporting the nonsense Florio is spouting all the more strange.

If Josh doesn't restructure, NONE of the new signings that have happened this off season transpire and Beane has to release players to get under the cap.

The roster gets worse, not better.

Josh understands this.  Florio is talking out his backside as usual.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Largely imo due to Allen covering for those problems which has been the case for multiple seasons now. They've had what more than three off-seasons to address it now I think

The amount of production the offense generates from Allen doing stuff off schedule the last 3seasons isn't always going to be sustainable

So your contention is that Beane isn't doing what he can with the available resources he has this offseason to improve the O-line?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Imo the larger issue is the way the team is built conceptually and how that hasn't translated into post season success

Fair game to question cap allocation in that sense for me

Okay and we are defining post-season success how?

Playoff wins?

Since Josh Allen became a superstar QB (2020), the Bills have 4 playoff wins.

The only teams with more in that span are the Bucs (5), the Chiefs (7), and the Bengals (5).

What is the difference between the Bills and those teams.  About 90% of it is "they have/had better players."

Edit: bah forgot the stupid Rams (5) but point still stands.

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 3

All he has to do is go to spotrac and see where all the money is going, its not that hard.  I mean yeah we can argue about if it is spend in the right places but they money is spent, the roster is packed with good players.  There is plenty of help, the team is using every resource to make the team better all the time.  The Bills are near the top of the league in void money and doing bonus proration.   This is ridiculous in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Playoff wins?

The only teams with more in that span are the Bucs (5), the Chiefs (7), and the Bengals (5).

What is the difference between the Bills and those teams.  About 90% of it is "they have/had better players."

Their D didn’t give up over a 100 points in 3 playoff losses….. Bills have invested a lot in that D and in the biggest games they come up short. Load the O and let Allen take care of the rest. 

5 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

All he has to do is go to spotrac and see where all the money is going, its not that hard.  I mean yeah we can argue about if it is spend in the right places but they money is spent, the roster is packed with good players.  There is plenty of help, the team is using every resource to make the team better all the time.  The Bills are near the top of the league in void money and doing bonus proration.   This is ridiculous in my opinion.

And they’re spending more money because the high draft picks they have wasted on D have not contributed. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Their D didn’t give up over a 100 points in 3 playoff losses….. Bills have invested a lot in that D and in the biggest games they come up short. Load the O and let Allen take care of the rest. 

And they’re spending more money because the high draft picks they have wasted on D have not contributed. 

KC loads up on defense every year. Wrong.

28 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

So your contention is that Beane isn't doing what he can with the available resources he has this offseason to improve the O-line?

As stated my contention is that the roster construction and cap allocation under Beane and McDermott is now being rightfully questioned due to lack of post season success

25 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Playoff wins?

Edit: bah forgot the stupid Rams (5) but point still stands.

Niners have wins too

I don't think it's such a stretch to say this team has underachieved in the playoffs considering who we have at QB

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, FireChans said:

KC loads up on defense every year. Wrong.

Yeah they just won a Super Bowl with some rookies on D. Have our rookies helped us? How about all the draft picks we spent on DL, how much playing time they getting these days? On top of that we are spending money on guys upfront that are only on the field half the time.  

Edited by BananaB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.