NFL draft rumors 2023

HappyDays

Just a point on the idea there are 15 or less first round grades by a GM.

I don't doubt it...I don't think it's a strong overall class...but One GM's list of 12 1st round grades won't be the same as the next.  It's entirely possible that at 27, the Bills could very well be drafting a guy who they had with a 1st round grade.

Another point...again, I agree this class is not at all top heavy, but I think it's probably pretty good because it is deep at CB, TE, and RB..and decent Oline in the mid rounds.  Weak at LB.  

So just because it's weak at the top doesn't mean a great player can't be had at 27...and it doesn't mean everything after pick 15 is garbage all the way through.  

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

From Albert Breer's column today:

'“If you have 15 first-round grades, then the class sucks,” said one general manager Saturday. “And I got less than 15 this year.”'

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/04/24/draft-team-needs-pick-predictions-analysis

These guys love to bad-mouth draft classes…happens every year.  

On the other hand, college football is broken, and that does not bode well for the NFL in the long term.

3 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Chris Simms one and only mock today has JSN to Bills at 27

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

That's insane. 

2 hours ago, mannc said:

Why?

Chris Simms is pretty much the worst mock drafter. Last year’s was awful.

03B609A9-52EE-4888-A9C3-0AFFE757C7D8.webp

Edited by MrEpsYtown

9 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Nobody is good at mocks.  Not even the perceived best draft guys out there.  

Most people get mocks wrong in terms of the exact spots guys go in, but are generally close in vicinity of where guys go.

Simms had two third rounders in the top 20. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Most people get mocks wrong in terms of the exact spots guys go in, but are generally close in vicinity of where guys go.

Simms had two third rounders in the top 20. 

Bellichick had one and it was an actual pick, not just a mock.  And he’ll be in the HOF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Chris Simms is pretty much the worst mock drafter. Last year’s was awful.

03B609A9-52EE-4888-A9C3-0AFFE757C7D8.webp

He was the 5th worst of 164 tracked mock drafters from the big outlets in 2022 and he is consistentky 

Albert Breer was the best last year, from Charlie Campbell in 2nd. 

Simms is in the bottom 10 or 15 most years.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I interpreted that as “he won’t be there at 27”

Kinda remains to be seen, no?  I mean, we’re talking about a likely slot receiver in the NFL, with a history of injuries.  Not crazy to think he could slip to 27.  FWIW, Simms loves JSN and has him as his number 2 WR in the draft.

49 minutes ago, mannc said:

Kinda remains to be seen, no?  I mean, we’re talking about a likely slot receiver in the NFL, with a history of injuries.  Not crazy to think he could slip to 27.  FWIW, Simms loves JSN and has him as his number 2 WR in the draft.

Sure, but I think the consensus is that JSN is the first WR off the board and there is too much need to think that he would slide to 27. Most people have him in the top 10-15. Last year everyone had Chris Olave in the same spot and Simms had him slotted at 22. The last time the first receiver off the board went that late is 2019 with Hollywood Brown at 25. It just seems unlikely based on projections in such a weak draft. Could it happen? Sure. Last year George Karlaftis and Jermaine Johnson experienced an unlikely slide. Simms has Zay Flowers at 21 and JSN at 27 and the other two guys sliding out of the first.

Again, that just seems unlikely based on what everyone else is saying. But it looks like Simms gets there because he has ton of OL drafted in the first which pushes those guys down. He has two TEs go before a WR. He also has John Michael Schmitz, DJ Turner, and Hendon Hooker in the first. Some people have Hooker mocked in he first, but I haven't seen those other guys in there too much. It's just kind of unprecedented stuff.   

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Sure, but I think the consensus is that JSN is the first WR off the board and there is too much need to think that he would slide to 27. Most people have him in the top 10-15. Last year everyone had Chris Olave in the same spot and Simms had him slotted at 22. The last time the first receiver off the board went that late is 2019 with Hollywood Brown at 25. It just seems unlikely based on projections in such a weak draft. Could it happen? Sure. Last year George Karlaftis and Jermaine Johnson experienced an unlikely slide. Simms has Zay Flowers at 21 and JSN at 27 and the other two guys sliding out of the first.

Again, that just seems unlikely based on what everyone else is saying. But it looks like Simms gets there because he has ton of OL drafted in the first which pushes those guys down. He has two TEs go before a WR. He also has John Michael Schmitz, DJ Turner, and Hendon Hooker in the first. Some people have Hooker mocked in he first, but I haven't seen those other guys in there too much. It's just kind of unprecedented stuff.   

I think Simms is wrong about the WRs too; I think at least four go in round one, just because of need, and the fact that it’s a premium position.  But Simms pointed out that JSN has injury concerns and underwhelming measurables, and said a lot of people he’s spoken to in the league think he’s an overrated prospect.  As you point out, his mocks have not been real good, so we’ll see.

18 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  You never hear there’s so many first round grades this draft you’ll get first round grade players in the 2nd round.  Lol. 

Scouts and GMs badmouth every draft class…if the class sucks, then they can’t be blamed for coming away with mediocre players.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.