L.A. car crash yesterday

\GoBillsInDallas/

7 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

That is amazing. How the ***** does the wheel just pop off like that?

It's plain to see the pick-up was negligent with the set up of their rig:

I have my theory too. Dumb luck, wrong place at wrong time.

BUT... The pick-up truck driver should be held liable. You see it all the time... People breaking the law... IMO, which didn't cause the tire to fly off but MAY have added to the situation...

Here's why:

The truck appears to have over-sized tires that may have caused, from stress on the hub/axle, to finally give way. 

That's NOT against the law,  but don't quote me on it... FWIW, I think all state motor vehicle codes have on their books that tires need full fender coverage.  IE: NOT protruding out beyond the fender OR flare. This white truck definitely doesn't have its tires under full fender/flare coverage.

I hope someone looks at this and sees that truck was illegally modified. Maybe the flare would have blunted the blow??

There are reasons for these laws... Just nobody thinks they are important when looking "cool."

https://www.wranglerforum.com/threads/california-tire-fender-law.91510/

"I had to go down to the CHP office and they gave me a hand drawn diagram showing what was required, as it is not shown on the net or even in their CVC books. The flares must cover the tread, not the sidewall. Your mud flaps will need to cover the tread down to the horizontal centerline of the tire, in other words, you can eyeball a straight line from the center (hub) of the front tire to the center of the rear tire extending past the rear bumper. The flaps must go to at least this level."

ALSO: Was the truck driver using wheel spacers that allowed them to fit those over-sized wheels/tires on to vehicle?

Who knows how many lug nuts were in service on that wheel. Whole bunch of factors why an axle goes like that... And just a quick look, it appears things were modified on that truck.  You see it all the time... People tooling around in these absurd rigs on the street. The white truck here wasn't too absurd, but it was clearly in violation.  IMO, that makes it liable more than a freak act of God. And, I don't really buy act of God. The warning signals were there, the pick-up drive was just ignoring them. 

I dropped a drive shaft on my Jeep at highway speeds. I knew for a whole year the u-joint was going... Just too cheap to fix it... Until it blew over a bump at 55mph. A Jeep TJ's drive shaft is only the length of my forearm, but it would have sucked had someone behind me hit it as it came off.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

Back in the day (cue the "old man yells at cloud" meme), hubcaps covered the lug nuts. If a lug nut fell off, you'd hear it rattling. In this case, all four (or five) lug nuts fell off with no audible warning.

I agree with Exiled - I also noticed the oversized tires and wondered whether they had any influence on the accident.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Back in the day (cue the "old man yells at cloud" meme), hubcaps covered the lug nuts. If a lug nut fell off, you'd hear it rattling. In this case, all four (or five) lug nuts fell off with no audible warning.

I agree with Exiled - I also noticed the oversized tires and wondered whether they had any influence on the accident.

Like I said, it may not have influenced... But it was definitely an illegal ride without fender/flare coverage over the tread.

Coverage is for stones and other things like riding up on another vehicle, etc... BUT even if coverage blunts the blow of the wheel-tire coming off, does that give the KIA or whoever an extra second to get by? Just dumb luck being there I suppose.

But who knows. Older truck, older axles... Those big wide tires do put stress on axles. We don't know, but there had to be warning sound.  

Amazing the vehicle with dashcam was so close and didn't get caught up in it. Same with the rest of traffic coming to a grinding halt.

Years ago on I94, coming home from work... Co worker ahead of me. A tire came off in opposing lanes and bounced over the Jersey Wall, in front of us and then right over the top of us both as we zoomed forward!

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I would never have guessed that hitting a loose tire could cause a car to propel into the air and flip.

I make fun of action movies when they try to sell me on cars flying thru the air…..but there it was. 

EDIT: To hear there were only minor injuries is an absolute miracle. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

There's a high probability that the wheel bearing let go by the looks of the way that wheel came off. Under normal circumstances you'd hear a sort of grinding noise progressively getting louder long before it got bad enough to come unglued like that... but those oversized tires might have made a lot more constant road noise than a grinding wheel bearing would.

Regardless... the pickup owner should eat 100% of the blame here and it's a fantastic outcome hearing that nobody was severely injured!

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I would never have guessed that hitting a loose tire could cause a car to propel into the air and flip.

It was a KIA... Amazing what those Korean gymnasts can do! 😉 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I make fun of action movies when they try to sell me on cars flying thru the air…..but there it was. 

EDIT: To hear there were only minor injuries is an absolute miracle. 

Buckled in! Or the driver is gonna be a rag doll in vehicle!

53 minutes ago, RichStadiumGuy said:

There's a high probability that the wheel bearing let go by the looks of the way that wheel came off. Under normal circumstances you'd hear a sort of grinding noise progressively getting louder long before it got bad enough to come unglued like that... but those oversized tires might have made a lot more constant road noise than a grinding wheel bearing would.

Regardless... the pickup owner should eat 100% of the blame here and it's a fantastic outcome hearing that nobody was severely injured!

Yup... Not sure if they were knobby swampers. Maybe drowned out the wear noise... YET... Really? Yikes. That truck has some explaining to do. I mentioned my bad drive shaft u-joint grinding every time I hit a bumper or clunker when shifting to reverse... Slop progressively getting worse... I never thought it would blow wide open though.  But it did!

Someone above mentioned when your time is up, it's up. Reminded me of Ithinkit was in the late  80s a woman is headed downtown on the 190 in Buffalo.  A double flatbed with rolls of rolled steel  chained on them was coming the other way.  The flatbed double fishtailed and the rear flatbed had the steel roll sbreak loose.  I bounced down the road, hit the Jersey barrier and over. It landed on the car going downtown and killed her instantly.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Someone above mentioned when your time is up, it's up. Reminded me of Ithinkit was in the late  80s a woman is headed downtown on the 190 in Buffalo.  A double flatbed with rolls of rolled steel  chained on them was coming the other way.  The flatbed double fishtailed and the rear flatbed had the steel roll sbreak loose.  I bounced down the road, hit the Jersey barrier and over. It landed on the car going downtown and killed her instantly.

October 6, 1992, and it was four people in three separate cars.  The clown that owned the trucking company made sure he sent a trailer from the trucking company his father had founded to pick up the coils.  Pictures of that company's trailer were plastered all over the paper, whereas junior kept his company out of the exposure. 🤨

• Shocked 1

16 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

That is amazing. How the ***** does the wheel just pop off like that?

It happened to a work trailer I was pulling a few year back. Scary as hell until it went in the woods and was no longer a danger. I laughed non-stop for about 15 minutes after everybody and their property was safe. Quality control at its finest.

• Haha (+1) 1

How does a faulty wheel bearing on a train overheat to 250° over the ambient air temp while chugging down the Eastern Ohio Road... 🤔 

Is it safe to drink and shower with the water in town.

I guess the guy in white pickup took the Norfolk Southern approach to maintaing their vehicle. Hey... It happens. 😏

4 hours ago, Wacka said:

I remember that

Wow, just a crazy sight. Thank whatever powers above that the driver wasn’t seriously injured. 

Side note: Credit to the driver with the dashcam. No panic, just slows down through the debris and stops behind the flipped vehicle. 

• Agree 1

Given the lack of injuries here, it's fun to imagine the perspective of the occupants of the car that went flying. That had to be so unexpected and so disorienting to just suddenly be flying through the air as if the laws of physics suddenly stopped applying. I wonder if they even had any idea what had happened prior to an eventual explanation or seeing the footage.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.