Potential Number 1 pick Jalen Carter Arrest Warrant

CountDorkula

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Wronfully arrested? The police received a call that his vehicle could not maintain it's lane. Oliver had an open alcohol container between his legs and a loaded firearm in the car. Apparently the chances were great that he was high on a different intoxicant than alcohol, one that he was not tested for. His bloood tested clean for alcohol and the charges were dismissed but I would hardly classify this as a wrongful arrest.

What is your basis for saying "wrongfully arrested?" Are you making this a racial issue? I really fail to understand where you are going with this.

I'm not gonna go there with the "wrongful arrest", but it has been known to happen that people call into the police for, lets say, spurious reasons.  My FIL, about as law abiding a person as one can find, was once pulled over by two very nervous (hence aggressive) officers for "transporting weapons" after someone called it in, and they weren't made less nervous when my late MIL pulled her car off the road behind them.  (The "weapons" observed were metal kitchen chair legs)

Apparently the "open alcohol container between his legs" was found to be half full of tobacco spit.  I'm sure if it was alcohol, and open, they would have gotten him with "open container" at the least. 

The "loaded firearm in the car" - c'mon Man, this is Texas.  A loaded firearm in the car is only a problem if another felony has been committed.  So once the other charges went away, the firearms charge went with them.  A late friend of mine used to quip, when he was enroute from Indiana to Texas to take up a job "when I crossed the Texas border, they searched my car for firearms.  Fortunately I had some, so they let me in".

As far as the "apparently chances were great"... that has not come up publicly, you may have an inside source but if they didn't test for it, it's an assertion without evidence, and respectfully, law enforcement has been known to circulate self-justificatory stories internally.  I'm sure you've encountered this.

14 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Yes we def need government involved in telling adults what kind of car they can or cant get. People get fat too, I think the ATF should install scales at the grocery store for anyone wanting non broccoli items.  What should we start mandatory minimum sentences at here? 5-7'ish? 

C'mon man.  Someone being fat does not put the rest of the public at risk of death or serious injury.  Driving recklessly - drag racing on public streets in a suburb with other cars on the road - does.  Heck even violating traffic laws like failing to stop at a red light or failin

It's pretty nonsensical to suggest limiting the kind of cars adults can buy as a solution, but countering it with a personal health issue and suggesting that food be regulated is an absurd analogy.

If that's the best ideas and reasoning you got, quit now.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm not gonna go there with the "wrongful arrest", but it has been known to happen that people call into the police for, lets say, spurious reasons.  My FIL, about as law abiding a person as one can find, was once pulled over by two very nervous (hence aggressive) officers for "transporting weapons" after someone called it in, and they weren't made less nervous when my late MIL pulled her car off the road behind them.  (The "weapons" observed were metal kitchen chair legs)

Apparently the "open alcohol container between his legs" was found to be half full of tobacco spit.  I'm sure if it was alcohol, and open, they would have gotten him with "open container" at the least. 

The "loaded firearm in the car" - c'mon Man, this is Texas.  A loaded firearm in the car is only a problem if another felony has been committed.  So once the other charges went away, the firearms charge went with them.  A late friend of mine used to quip, when he was enroute from Indiana to Texas to take up a job "when I crossed the Texas border, they searched my car for firearms.  Fortunately I had some, so they let me in".

As far as the "apparently chances were great"... that has not come up publicly, you may have an inside source but if they didn't test for it, it's an assertion without evidence, and respectfully, law enforcement has been known to circulate self-justificatory stories internally.  I'm sure you've encountered this.

Do we know if Oliver was showing any signs of being intox?

One problem with being a police officer is that in most situations, unlike others, you cannot just drive away. If he showed any sign(s) at all of being intox on any substance and they allowed him to be on his way, who do you think would be blamed if he got into an accident down the road and injured or killed someone or even himself?

Many sports fans labor under the misconception that police officers relish the opportunity to confront athletes. I could never understand this line of thinking. Oliver (as is the case with most football players) is a genetic mutant. If he decides to resist, the only way to stop him would be the use of some very serious force, that is if you don't want to get killed. I will not name them but I came in contact with a few NFL players in similar situations. One was a DE; one an OT.  Both were famous. Trust me, I have never met the police officer who wanted to get into a physical confrontation with them, or a prolonged court case with their lawyers.

All I am really trying to get across is that you are correct. The arrest was not necessarily wrongful because the arrestee was released  without being charged.

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Lol they were examples… You assume guilt based off of a video… also city cameras are 95% just take a picture and are usually poor quality.. depending on the city of course.   I always hate it when people assume guilt based off of what the police say.. that’s not the hole story and everyone is innocent till proven guilty and most people with money can and do get off.  

The quality was enough that they could easily identify both cars and their owners.  The videos are the “evidence” they used issuectye warrant. What’s your point? They got the wrong guy?  That he was, possibly, driving normally and the video shows no racing or reckless driving—cops made it up? He’s already admitted to being side by side with the car that crashed and that he left the scene.  

What do you think is the real “hole” story?   Fill us in.

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I hope he hired a good lawyer, but I'm surprised a good lawyer and agent would let him speak.

Who had he spoken to?

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The quality was enough that they could easily identify both cars and their owners.  The videos are the “evidence” they used issuectye warrant. What’s your point? They got the wrong guy?  That he was, possibly, driving normally and the video shows no racing or reckless driving—cops made it up? He’s already admitted to being side by side with the car that crashed and that he left the scene.  

What do you think is the real “hole” story?   Fill us in.

Who had he spoken to?

my main point is that there is a 95% chance he gets off with nothing and or the charges are dropped.. Money talks in our judicial system, if you can afford a great defense you will usually get off.  For examples see Simpson, OJ. (lol) 

Also not sure was you WEO or someone else thought these were major charges, the charges are minor at that UNLESS they think he clipped the other car to make it crash.  Drag racing is a $50 to a $500 fine and well reckless driving you can get up to $1000 and 12 months in jail. Seeing as they are both first offenses I see an easy plea deal for community service and telling HS kids the dangers of drag racing or something. 

what this means is he may fall far enough for a good team get a great defender for their D line.  (Imagine if he fell far enough for your Bills to get him)

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Correct. Nobody outside of dystopian nightmares like New York, California, or Chicago care is you have a firearm in your vehicle.

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

my main point is that there is a 95% chance he gets off with nothing and or the charges are dropped.. Money talks in our judicial system, if you can afford a great defense you will usually get off.  For examples see Simpson, OJ. (lol) 

Also not sure was you WEO or someone else thought these were major charges, the charges are minor at that UNLESS they think he clipped the other car to make it crash.  Drag racing is a $50 to a $500 fine and well reckless driving you can get up to $1000 and 12 months in jail. Seeing as they are both first offenses I see an easy plea deal for community service and telling HS kids the dangers of drag racing or something. 

what this means is he may fall far enough for a good team get a great defender for their D line.  (Imagine if he fell far enough for your Bills to get him)

Few crimes are caught on video.  His were.

Gets of with nothing?  All charges dropped?  How does this work---his fancy lawyers roll up to the Athens PD with a big bag of money and the videos simply disappear?

Two people died as a result of this street race.  You think the DA is in the mood to drop charges on this case?  Why?--because a very expensive lawyer played a legal mind trick on him?

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Few crimes are caught on video.  His were.

Gets of with nothing?  All charges dropped?  How does this work---his fancy lawyers roll up to the Athens PD with a big bag of money and the videos simply disappear?

Two people died as a result of this street race.  You think the DA is in the mood to drop charges on this case?  Why?--because a very expensive lawyer played a legal mind trick on him?

Fancy lawyers find ways get evidence removed. See Kraft,Robert for an example

of that. Lol 

2 people Died because THEY were drag racing and has ZERO to do with the charges brought up on him. Again assuming he didn’t hit them to cause the crash.. I’m thinking you feel since 2 people died because of their own actions will make these charges bigger or more important. They won’t. A good lawyer make sure of that and the DA will plea it down to a small fine and probably community service.. which isn’t much less than what these misdemeanors call for. You’re all tied up about 2 people dying, because of their own actions as a reason they will prosecute harder. Your wrong IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PatsFanNH said:

Fancy lawyers find ways get evidence removed. See Kraft,Robert for an example

of that. Lol 

2 people Died because THEY were drag racing and has ZERO to do with the charges brought up on him. Again assuming he didn’t hit them to cause the crash.. I’m thinking you feel since 2 people died because of their own actions will make these charges bigger or more important. They won’t. A good lawyer make sure of that and the DA will plea it down to a small fine and probably community service.. which isn’t much less than what these misdemeanors call for. You’re all tied up about 2 people dying, because of their own actions as a reason they will prosecute harder. Your wrong IMO.

Who was the young woman racing?  Was the she doing time trials?  

I'm not sure if your responses are serious---or I assume you just haven't bothered to look up what he has been charged with.  He is not charged with "hitting them"  (lol wtf are you talking about now??).   Just reckless driving and street racing (i've helped you with this 3 times now). It's captured on video.  Yes, they are misdemeanors, but they aren't going to be dropped.  No chance.

As for Kraft, an L2 in Moot Court could have gotten that video tossed.  In this, however,  case, the videos were municipal property and otherwise freely given to the cops by a business. 

Give it another swing, Counselor....how do the charges get dropped?

7 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Do we know if Oliver was showing any signs of being intox?

One problem with being a police officer is that in most situations, unlike others, you cannot just drive away. If he showed any sign(s) at all of being intox on any substance and they allowed him to be on his way, who do you think would be blamed if he got into an accident down the road and injured or killed someone or even himself?

Many sports fans labor under the misconception that police officers relish the opportunity to confront athletes. I could never understand this line of thinking. Oliver (as is the case with most football players) is a genetic mutant. If he decides to resist, the only way to stop him would be the use of some very serious force, that is if you don't want to get killed. I will not name them but I came in contact with a few NFL players in similar situations. One was a DE; one an OT.  Both were famous. Trust me, I have never met the police officer who wanted to get into a physical confrontation with them, or a prolonged court case with their lawyers.

All I am really trying to get across is that you are correct. The arrest was not necessarily wrongful because the arrestee was released  without being charged.

Oliver passed the FST, blew a 0.0 at the scene and had no drugs in his system.  Any signs he showed were subjective.

As for Carter at best he'll get 1 misdemeanor charge. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why

Plea deal.  If there hadn't been a death, I think he would have gotten a traffic ticket.  But since there was, I'll say 1 misdemeanor.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Doc said:

To get it over with.  He said he's going to fight the charges. 

Of course he's going to fight the charges---he's looking at massive civil suits down the road.  He would love to have charges dropped for that reason.

Problem his defense has is that Two people died because of the actions of the 2 drivers. The have him on tape committing the 2 misdemeanors. He lied to the cops repeatedly.  The incident is a national story.  Why wouldn't the DA take this slam dunk as it is?  It's not like he will do time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.