Potential Number 1 pick Jalen Carter Arrest Warrant

CountDorkula

1 hour ago, chongli said:

Yeah, I'm familiar with that research.

Here's the counterpoint - the brain shows remarkable plasticity as an organ.  It changes in response to its environment and the demands placed upon it.  When people are exposed to different environments and have different expectations and responsibilities, it's not a stretch to think the brain may develop differently.

My Grandfather went to school through 8th grade then 2 years of "business college".  At age 15, he went to work full time and was expected to play a significant role as a family breadwinner.  This was only unusual, in that a lot of kids of that era went to work full time at age 13, right after 8th grade.  Then there was Selective Service, which he was too young for in 1917 but registered for in 1942 (18 to 45).    Young men were drafted, trained, and somehow expected to exercise a great deal of responsibility, not infrequently leading other young men in combat.

It wouldn't surprise me, if the brains of these young men were examined, or the brains of young men and women elsewhere in the world who are expected to exercise adult-size responsibilities in their late teens/early 20s, if they were found to have significantly more mature pre-frontal cortexes capable of accomplishing executive brain functions at a higher level.

In one interview Josh Allen was talking about his grandparents and father and uncles, and how, looking at photos of them at high school age, they had the muscles of "grown ass men" because of the hard manual work they did.  My contention: young skeletal muscle develop early if needed and used on regular daily basis; young brain develop regularly if judgement and reasoning needed and used on regular daily basis.

Meta in the sense I was using it, more comprehensive or transcending.  Transitioning from this specific instance to comprehensive consideration about 20 year old kids, who at one time were considered adults and at 18 for some purposes and 21 for others, legally still are.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I'm kind of shocked by the "we all raced" comments in this thread.  My friends and I have never "raced" in our entire lives as far as I've known, and we weren't dweebs locked in our parents basements or anything.  We were jocks and frat guys - the typical, "young, dumb, testosterone fueled" demographic.  I know there were "car scenes" and street racers, but I thought that was a fairly small sliver of dudes.  Maybe street racing got a big bump from those stupid Fast & Furious movies?  

It was a $100,000 Jeep Tomahawk racing SUV.

I was today years old when I learned Jeep makes a 100k Cherokee. Just….why? Get a Corvette or a Mustang GT500

1 hour ago, chongli said:

People point to this but it’s not as if right and wrong is unclear until you are 25.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah, I'm familiar with that research.

Here's the counterpoint - the brain shows remarkable plasticity as an organ.  It changes in response to its environment and the demands placed upon it.  When people are exposed to different environments and have different expectations and responsibilities, it's not a stretch to think the brain may develop differently.

My Grandfather went to school through 8th grade then 2 years of "business college".  At age 15, he went to work full time and was expected to play a significant role as a family breadwinner.  This was only unusual, in that a lot of kids of that era went to work full time at age 13, right after 8th grade.  Then there was Selective Service, which he was too young for in 1917 but registered for in 1942 (18 to 45).    Young men were drafted, trained, and somehow expected to exercise a great deal of responsibility, not infrequently leading other young men in combat.

It wouldn't surprise me, if the brains of these young men were examined, or the brains of young men and women elsewhere in the world who are expected to exercise adult-size responsibilities in their late teens/early 20s, if they were found to have significantly more mature pre-frontal cortexes capable of accomplishing executive brain functions at a higher level.

In one interview Josh Allen was talking about his grandparents and father and uncles, and how, looking at photos of them at high school age, they had the muscles of "grown ass men" because of the hard manual work they did.  My contention: young skeletal muscle develop early if needed and used on regular daily basis; young brain develop regularly if judgement and reasoning needed and used on regular daily basis.

Meta in the sense I was using it, more comprehensive or transcending.  Transitioning from this specific instance to comprehensive consideration about 20 year old kids, who at one time were considered adults and at 18 for some purposes and 21 for others, legally still are.

Wow...thanks for the thorough explanation and analysis. And great point about different expectations and muscle adaptation.

All I would have to say is he's young; young people have always done stupid things in certain environments; and he was likely in an environment were reason and judgment are not exercised to their fullest. So, he will have to answer the charges. His draft value may drop, but I don't think it is too serious. He will go in the top 5 still. We've all done stupid things in out 20's--this is no different.

14 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

People point to this but it’s not as if right and wrong is unclear until you are 25.  

Awesome. Thanks for the explanation!

24 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Well I just hope he drops to 27

So, you're telling me we're drafting defense again with our first pic?!

20 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I was today years old when I learned Jeep makes a 100k Cherokee. Just….why? Get a Corvette or a Mustang GT500

Because when you only do one thing well you have to lean into it. So stick a hellcat in every chassis that you have lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

You can't get a corvette for 100k anymore unfortunately.  They have gone supercar (albeit the best value in supercars).  Sports car under 100k i'm taking an M3 all day.  It will smoke a GT Mustang on any track.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

I'm kind of shocked by the "we all raced" comments in this thread.  My friends and I have never "raced" in our entire lives as far as I've known, and we weren't dweebs locked in our parents basements or anything.  We were jocks and frat guys - the typical, "young, dumb, testosterone fueled" demographic.  I know there were "car scenes" and street racers, but I thought that was a fairly small sliver of dudes.  Maybe street racing got a big bump from those stupid Fast & Furious movies?  

It was a $100,000 Jeep Tomahawk racing SUV.

We just always competed.  Something random like we would be leaving a restaurant and someone would say "last ones get the second game of Madden".

So we all ran to the cars get and go.  This is the mind of a 17 year old.  It wasn't every single time....just random times we wanted to be stupid.  I got one speeding ticket in HS. 

It wasn't just driving we would compete at.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Well, that speaking won't happen if Carter's legal defense team has anything to do with it.

Seriously, driving 104 mph in the opposite lane of traffic (edit: in a suburban area, no less) seems like "something almost everyone has done" to you?

Well I guess it's better to do that in the suburbs. At least he's got that going for him.

Probably worse in the city, potential for more people killed. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was suburban streets by like neighborhoods, its those long stretches of roads by malls or restaurants or bars.

By me, it was Barrett Parkway.  Once you leave the well lit areas and go down the roads heading towards the suburbs, there's a few mile stretch of 55 mph in which we would floor it.  It wasn't like we were doing 90 for like 15 minutes....these are 15-30 seconds and then slow down.

I'm pretty sure it happened right near 1108 S Barnett Shoals Rd, in Athens. Only reason I know this specific address is that I read it in a news story, then google mapped it. You're right though as to it being a suburban road, 4 lanes with a middle turn lane. If you google maps this address, you can see the apt/condo building she ran in to. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Who races in a Ford Expedition? That thing is as bulky as an old Bronco. And isn’t very fast at all. 

just wait until this guy gets his money and is flying around at 3:00am in a Ferrari. 

3 hours ago, chongli said:

No one is downplaying anything. Jalen Carter did not kill anyone. The other driver is responsible for racing the car in the crash. It could have been Jalen's car that crashed, but it wasn't.

I get what your saying but it takes two to race. (Unless your just trying to beat a personal record or something) anyway. I just feel like when we say "hey we've all done it" it takes away from the fact that a horrible thing happened. Look I'm not saying throw the book at the dude. Not at all but there are reasons that we just can't do such things. Jalen is going to have to live with this and I'm sure that is not going to be easy. I don't wish that on him. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.