Potential Number 1 pick Jalen Carter Arrest Warrant

CountDorkula

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Of course he's going to fight the charges---he's looking at massive civil suits down the road.  He would love to have charges dropped for that reason.

Problem his defense has is that Two people died because of the actions of the 2 drivers. The have him on tape committing the 2 misdemeanors. He lied to the cops repeatedly.  The incident is a national story.  Why wouldn't the DA take this slam dunk as it is?  It's not like he will do time.

If that were true, he'd have been charged with far more than just 2 misdemeanors.  They have video of the accident and there were 2 other passengers in the SUV that crashed that survived, and they undoubtedly already talked to police about what happened (as much as they could remember).  The person responsible is Chandler Lecroy, who was driving drunk.

Edited by Doc

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

If that were true, he'd have been charged with far more than just 2 misdemeanors.  They have video of the accident and there were 2 other passengers in the SUV that crashed that survived, and they undoubtedly already talked to police about what happened (as much as they could remember).  The person responsible is Chandler Lecroy, who was driving drunk.

What else might he be charged with other than what he was charged with?

Why was she driving so fast?  Was she not racing the other car?  You know she was.  Will the other passengers say it was not Carter that she was racing?  How does this play out? 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

What else might he be charged with other than what he was charged with?

Why was she driving so fast?  Was she not racing the other car?  You know she was.  Will the other passengers say it was not Carter that she was racing?  How does this play out? 

I have no idea what else he might be charged with.  But it's been almost 7 weeks since the crash and I doubt they'll find any more evidence at this point.  And I'm not sure what else they could find.  Even if he said "let's race" it's still on her for being drunk and listening.

Any lawyers know if there's a precedent for this?

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I have no idea what else he might be charged with.  But it's been almost 7 weeks since the crash and I doubt they'll find any more evidence at this point.  And I'm not sure what else they could find.  Even if he said "let's race" it's still on her for being drunk and listening.

Any lawyers know if there's a precedent for this?

No one is claiming it's not "on her".  They have him on film driving recklessly and racing, so they charged him with those.  Not much wiggle room there.

It's much harder to argue that, had he simply said goodnight to his drunk friends and gone home, that the same outcome would have happened without the racing between the 2 drivers, unless you are prepared to argue that racing had nothing to do with the outcome of the passengers in that car.

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No one is claiming it's not "on her".  They have him on film driving recklessly and racing, so they charged him with those.  Not much wiggle room there.

It's much harder to argue that, had he simply said goodnight to his drunk friends and gone home, that the same outcome would have happened without the racing between the 2 drivers, unless you are prepared to argue that racing had nothing to do with the outcome of the passengers in that car.

Yeah and that's why I said he'll likely get a misdemeanor. 

Her fatal error was getting behind the wheel while drunk, during which there are any number of ways to get yourself killed that don't involve drag racing.

You know, sometimes a victim is wholly responsible for what happens to him/her.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah and that's why I said he'll likely get a misdemeanor. 

Her fatal error was getting behind the wheel while drunk, during which there are any number of ways to get yourself killed that don't involve drag racing.

You know, sometimes a victim is wholly responsible for what happens to him/her.

He's only been charged with misdemeanors.  Both based on the videos.  That's not being debated.

So your position  is that racing played no role at all in the crash?  None...?

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He's only been charged with misdemeanors.  Both based on the videos.  That's not being debated.

So your position  is that racing played no role at all in the crash?  None...?

Yes I agree it wasn't being debated.  The only debate was how many misdemeanors he would be charged with and that remains to be seen.

And in this instance, being drunk was the main reason for the crash.  Was Carter responsible for her being drunk and getting behind the wheel?  Speeding likely played a role but did Carter force her to speed?  What if she's the one who said "let's race" and/or others in her car implored her to race him?

Again being charged with just 2 misdemeanors after 7 weeks with video and witnesses says to me no further charges are coming.   But as above, that remains to be seen.

Edited by Doc

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes I agree it wasn't being debated.  The only debate was how many misdemeanors he would be charged with and that remains to be seen.

And in this instance, being drunk was the main reason for the crash.  Was Carter responsible for her being drunk and getting behind the wheel?  Speeding likely played a role but did Carter force her to speed?  What if she's the one who said "let's race" and/or others in her car implored her to race him?

Again being charged with just 2 misdemeanors after 7 weeks with video and witnesses says to me no further charges are coming.   But as above, that remains to be seen.

Not sure why you keep bringing that question up.  It's "2".

It really doesn't matter who or what prompted Carter to race his drunk friend.  Only that he did---in obvious disregard for the safety of everyone in both cars.   His choice was decline and/or drive away...or accept the challenge and race this person who was unfit to drive at any speed. 

He chose the latter. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not sure why you keep bringing that question up.  It's "2".

It really doesn't matter who or what prompted Carter to race his drunk friend.  Only that he did---in obvious disregard for the safety of everyone in both cars.   His choice was decline and/or drive away...or accept the challenge and race this person who was unfit to drive at any speed. 

He chose the latter. 

I mean what he'll ultimately get.  I say 1, you say 2.  We'll see.

Three other people got into the car with Lecroy, meaning they didn't think she was too unfit to drive and risk their lives.  And just because Carter was speeding doesn't mean she had to follow suit.  It's on her and her alone.

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

I mean what he'll ultimately get.  I say 1, you say 2.  We'll see.

Three other people got into the car with Lecroy, meaning they didn't think she was too unfit to drive and risk their lives.  And just because Carter was speeding doesn't mean she had to follow suit.  It's on her and her alone.

why was Carter “speeding”, as you call it…and weaving across traffic and into the opposite direction lane?  He wasn’t racing?

since he chose to race a drunk who was driving a car full of his friends, he bears zero responsibility?  The other driver should have simply used better judgement than a sober Carter—even though she was more than double the legal limit intoxicated?  

that’s your new argument? 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

why was Carter “speeding”, as you call it…and weaving across traffic and into the opposite direction lane?  He wasn’t racing?

since he chose to race a drunk who was driving a car full of his friends, he bears zero responsibility?  The other driver should have simply used better judgement than a sober Carter—even though she was more than double the legal limit intoxicated?  

that’s your new argument? 

Why stop at drag racing?  Why didn't he take her keys from her before she got into the SUV?  Why didn't he prevent her from drinking to excess in the first place?

He has no legal responsibility (that's on the bar).  Moral maybe, if he knew she was too drunk to drive.  But again as I said, the 3 people who got into the SUV with her didn't think she was and they had far more to lose than Carter did.

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Why stop at drag racing?  Why didn't he take her keys from her before she got into the SUV?  Why didn't he prevent her from drinking to excess in the first place?

He has no legal responsibility (that's on the bar).  Moral maybe, if he knew she was too drunk to drive.  But again as I said, the 3 people who got into the SUV with her didn't think she was and they had far more to lose than Carter did.

he had no obligation to take her keys.  But his reckless driving and racing with the drunk driver clearly contributed to the fatal crash.  he had a legal responsibility not to break those  laws. So Your response makes no sense. Was he also too drunk to make sound decisions? 

3 drunk kids get into a car with a drunk driver.  Stop me if you’ve heard this one before.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

he had no obligation to take her keys.  But his reckless driving and racing with the drunk driver clearly contributed to the fatal crash.  he had a legal responsibility not to break those  laws. So Your response makes no sense. Was he also too drunk to make sound decisions? 

3 drunk kids get into a car with a drunk driver.  Stop me if you’ve heard this one before. 

Yes because what makes sense is that neither Carter nor her passengers had any idea she was drunk when she got into the SUV...but he should have realized it after they started driving and thus never should have been drag racing with her.  Good one.  And despite acting recklessly by drag racing, he didn't kill himself or anyone in his car.  You think that was just luck? 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes because what makes sense is that neither Carter nor her passengers had any idea she was drunk when she got into the SUV...but he should have realized it after they started driving and thus never should have been drag racing with her.  Good one.  And despite acting recklessly by drag racing, he didn't kill himself or anyone in his car.  You think that was just luck? 

so, again, you’re position is that being drunk should not have clouded any person in the crashed  car’s judgement.  

And, also, his decision to break the law driving as he did (racing) with a drunk person in the other car, thus contributing to the crash…is the (moral? or something?) equivalent of not taking her keys  away?

solid doc!

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

so, again, you’re position is that being drunk should not have clouded any person in the crashed  car’s judgement.  

And, also, his decision to break the law driving as he did (racing) with a drunk person in the other car, thus contributing to the crash…is the (moral? or something?) equivalent of not taking her keys  away?

solid doc!

Nothing's as solid as thinking that Carter only realized she was drunk after she started driving, not before getting behind the wheel, when it would have been most appropriate to intervene.  Much less thinking that drag racing is the only way to have a fatal crash while drunk driving.

Anyway, keep waiting for more charges.  It always works out well for you when you do...

12 hours ago, Doc said:

Nothing's as solid as thinking that Carter only realized she was drunk after she started driving, not before getting behind the wheel, when it would have been most appropriate to intervene.  Much less thinking that drag racing is the only way to have a fatal crash while drunk driving.

Anyway, keep waiting for more charges.  It always works out well for you when you do...

You keep getting it backwards.  I've argued the opposite.  He knew before the race began. How did you miss that? 

I haven't stated anywhere he will get more charges.  Over and over, I said he has 2 charges, based on video evidence.

Also, I haven't stated that the only way to crash while driving drunk is by racing.

You made all that up.   You're arguing with yourself as this point.

You really aren't making sense here, doc.  

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You keep getting it backwards.  I've argued the opposite.  He knew before the race began. How did you miss that? 

I haven't stated anywhere he will get more charges.  Over and over, I said he has 2 charges, based on video evidence.

Also, I haven't stated that the only way to crash while driving drunk is by racing.

You made all that up.   You're arguing with yourself as this point.

You really aren't making sense here, doc.  

He did?  From where did you get that?  No, you made that part up.  You don't even know who initiated the drag race.  And you're using that to make the claim that the 2 misdemeanors have nochoice but to stick. 

Typically a DA will charge someone with everything they can and then usually will reduce it to 1 charge in a plea deal.  The same should happen here because the DA knows that Lecroy was at fault for driving drunk and wants to get the part with Carter out of the way.  And I would hazard a guess that he has evidence she initiated the drag race.

Edited by Doc

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He did?  From where did you get that?  No, you made that part up.  You don't even know who initiated the drag race.  And you're using that to make the claim that the 2 misdemeanors have to choice but to stick. 

Typically a DA will charge someone with everything they can and then usually will reduce it to 1 charge in a plea deal.  The same should happen here because the DA knows that Lecroy was at fault for driving drunk, and I would hazard a guess that he has evidence she initiated the drag race.

I'm pretty certain the video demonstrating his reckless driving (charge 1) and street racing (charge 2) is what the cops arrested him on and the DA charged him on, doc, not "who initiated the drag race".  I'm pretty sure "incitement to drag race" is not a crime, lol.  

Anyway, you are still struggling unnecessarily.  The incident was hours after the Bulldogs victory parade. There are images of both cars stopped before the race and a person going from one car to the other. There is video of them both a stoplight, from which they commenced the race.  

The likelihood that all of these teammates and football staff were not together partying at the championship parade in the hours before the crash is far less than they just happened to, by chance, encounter one another at a red light in town and decided to "hey, I hope we're all sober---cuz it's time to race!!"

That's what you're left pushing now?

Also, this punk is a repeat offender.  Earlier in the season, he was pulled over for doing 89 in a 45.  Here's how that went:

'Your break is you're not going to jail. Because that would make all kinds of news, right?' the officer says.

'I don't know if y'all need to send out a text or something to your teammates, slow down,' the officer continues. 'We wouldn't be talking if you were going the speed limit. I could care less about tint violation. But that was reckless. When you are around your teammates, just tell them to slow down. It's so easy to slow down.'

The officer proceeds to explain the separate citations and information for Carter's traffic court date. 

He finally once again repeats his plea to slow down. 'Slow down, OK? That's all I ask.'

The jock sniffing cop let him go with a few citations. 

So you're saying that a guy who has been citing and warned by law enforcement about reckless driving is going to get off of a reckless driving misdemeanor in a racing incident that resulted in the death of 2 people?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.