Public Student Loan Forgiveness?

Johnny Hammersticks

On 2/24/2023 at 6:41 PM, Simon said:

Since I'm sure you're waiting with abated breath, I'll spare you the suspense and suggest it might be quite a while on that response. 0:)

Did you tread on him?!?

• Haha (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Doesn't this have to clear the Supreme Court first? I got the notice that $20K of the $25K I owe is forgiven, but if the high court says "Nah dog, we're good, " we all would have to pay them back.

This is a different program than what the Supreme Court is looking at. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/29/2023 at 8:15 AM, Just Jack said:

The wife got her official notice today that her loans are forgiven.  

Original loan was $90K

She's paid back $50K

She still owed $117K

Yes, she still owed almost $30K more than the original loan. 

Nice!

My wife just last Friday got notice that her loans were also forgiven through the PSLF program.  Between the two of us, that’s ~$1200/month in additional income.  Life altering.  We both made about 50-60 additional payments than the 120 required.

• Like (+1) 3

On 2/24/2023 at 9:05 AM, Westside said:

You burdening other tax payers to pay your bills even though you can afford to pay them yourself and I'm the A-hole? I am having a wonderful day and a awesome life without reneging on my bills.

You understand that college tuition and costs have increased at a rate that FAR surpasses inflation, right?

Also, the loan forgiveness is only for public servants who have worked in public service jobs for 10 years while paying off their loans consistently over a period of 10 years.  Public servants on average make significantly less than those holding similar jobs in the private sector.

If you want to give a big middle finger to the law enforcement agents who patrol your streets, the firefighters who are there to help in all sorts of crises, the teachers who teach your kids and all their ilk, then good on you. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You do realize that this is entirely different that the PSLF program, right?

I was unaware that there is more than one... guess I've only been following the main one.

• Like (+1) 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 7:46 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

You understand that college tuition and costs have increased at a rate that FAR surpasses inflation, right?

Also, the loan forgiveness is only for public servants who have worked in public service jobs for 10 years while paying off their loans consistently over a period of 10 years.  Public servants on average make significantly less than those holding similar jobs in the private sector.

If you want to give a big middle finger to the law enforcement agents who patrol your streets, the firefighters who are there to help in all sorts of crises, the teachers who teach your kids and all their ilk, then good on you. 

Student loan forgiveness programs go back to the 1970s at least.   The general outlines of the programs have always been the same: students who accumulated debt in pursuing a degree could have all or part of it forgiven if they worked in specified fields, most commonly teaching in inner city schools. As college degrees became requirements for many jobs, most public employees were made eligible.   In recent years, the program administrators, though, made it difficult for students to qualify for the program.   The Biden administration has made it easier for more students to have their loans forgiven.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.