Controversial shooting by off duty cop

Figster

What would you have done differently in her shoes? Is this the type of police officer mentality we need on the streets?  

Calling for an ambulace and giving medical attention is at the top of my list of things not done correctly.  

Edited by Figster
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• Figster changed the title to Controversial shooting by off duty cop
55 minutes ago, Figster said:

What would you have done differently in her shoes? Is this the type of police officer mentality we need on the streets?  

Calling for an ambulace and giving medical attention is at the top of my list of things not done correctly.  

She did tell people to call the police who would bring an ambulance since someone was shot, but I don't know why she doesn't have her own phone to do that. As to giving medical attention herself, not sure how much she can do with a guy who just tried to take her gun, maybe if she could handcuff him or something.

• Thank you (+1) 2

The only controversial bit for me is how long she waited to delete him. 

Additionally she’s under no obligation to give him medical attention or do anything except make sure he doesn’t try doing dumb ***** again unless she is 100% damn sure that the threat has ended. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I am uncomfortable with the whole thing but I can't state that she absolutely should have done X. He started it by jumping her from behind and her first task is to make sure he is not a threat others 

• Thank you (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I am uncomfortable with the whole thing but I can't state that she absolutely should have done X. He started it by jumping her from behind and her first task is to make sure he is not a threat others 

You could also hear her say let go after the last shot was fired which indicates he never stopped going for the gun unfortunately IMO.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

The only controversial bit for me is how long she waited to delete him. 

Additionally she’s under no obligation to give him medical attention or do anything except make sure he doesn’t try doing dumb ***** again unless she is 100% damn sure that the threat has ended. 

So woundings not sufficient enough? Now I realize in this instance it probably wasn't possible. Generally speaking.

With all due respect @LeviF

As an actual Police Officer responding to this scenario I understand If you care not to elaborate. Thanks

Edited by Figster

2 hours ago, Figster said:

So woundings not sufficient enough? Now I realize in this instance it probably wasn't possible. Generally speaking.

With all due respect @LeviF

As an actual Police Officer responding to this scenario I understand If you care not to elaborate. Thanks

I’m not sure what you mean

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

I’m not sure what you mean

If someone goes after your weapon Is wounding an option by way of training ? Or does it require an immediate deadly force response. If you don't mind my asking.  I can understand If it does. Thanks

I found the answer in this article, you are trained to shoot center mass. 

https://leelofland.com/shoot-to-kill-or-to-wound-the-answer-may-surprise-you-2/

Edited by Figster

41 minutes ago, Figster said:

If someone goes after your weapon Is wounding an option by way of training ? Or does it require an immediate deadly force response. If you don't mind my asking.  I can understand If it does. Thanks

Deadly force is justified if someone goes for your gun. If you’re going to discharge your firearm, you aim for center mass as it’s the most effective way of stopping the threat. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Being shot and killed by the gun you try to steal to go on and carry out more criminal acts with gives a valuable and possible life saving lesson in my humble opinion.

Allow this mans life and death struggle save lives.

Edited by Figster
  • Eyeroll 1

She did nothing visibly wrong in this video. It appears that she was trying to help the guy before he tries to take her gun. He got the wrong end of what he wanted. There shouldn’t be an expectation for the woman who was assaulted to provide first aid to the male aggressor. She was likely in shock over the event and urged others to call police. Her best line was “and now I have to go to work….”.

• Thank you (+1) 2

She did the right thing.  Also, can't render aid safely in that situation.  She doesn't have cuffs on her to prevent him for fighting for the gun.

It's not like she executed him, but if you get shot, you may just die.  Don't try to steal someones gun folks.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pokebball said:

Not sure I see any controversy. Sad. Unfortunate. Sure

Controversial more in the no gun vs more gun argument perhaps and where I almost put this shooting.

Why does the perp have the knowledge she's carrying and an ability to grab for the weapon.  

What does she mean by trying to help him.

(On a side note I want to say its very possible by the time the 3rd shot was fired that the perp was just holding on for dear life.)

Edited by Figster

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2023 at 11:25 AM, Figster said:

Like a friend of mine always says about hunting . It's a lot different when the rabbit's got a gun ... 😂