Church Of England Debate Gender Of God

Tiberius

I don't believe any of this:

“The U.S. government should declare America a Christian nation.”

“U.S. laws should be based on Christian values.”

“If the U.S. moves away from our Christian foundations, we will not have a country anymore.”

“Being Christian is an important part of being truly American.”

“God has called Christians to exercise dominion over all areas of American society.”

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I don't believe any of this:

“The U.S. government should declare America a Christian nation.”

“U.S. laws should be based on Christian values.”

“If the U.S. moves away from our Christian foundations, we will not have a country anymore.”

“Being Christian is an important part of being truly American.”

“God has called Christians to exercise dominion over all areas of American society.”

Who would’ve guessed? Really? 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Have you ever seen him naked? 

And Jesus was his son, so he was male too. This is all very gender specific, really no blurred lines or room to debate. 

Also, Mary was in fact a woman. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 2/8/2023 at 1:18 PM, sherpa said:

God is a being

No need for human gender.

By the way, no knowledgeable human thinks that Jesus was "lily white."

That is nonsense.

He was the same as others of his locale/era.

It is mentioned that his appearance never stood out.

Yeah but his depiction in paintings, at least in every church and cathedral I've ever seen, is very much white.  I've been to quite a few in the US and across Europe and I've never seen anything resembling to what we'd agree would be accurate.  It's odd.  

4 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Yeah but his depiction in paintings, at least in every church and cathedral I've ever seen, is very much white.  I've been to quite a few in the US and across Europe and I've never seen anything resembling to what we'd agree would be accurate.  It's odd.  

There is literally nothing odd about it. When the tradition of stained glass depictions started, the people were generally illiterate, so they could not read the Bible. The statues and stained glass you see in those churches were a way to make the biblical stories more relatable to them. There’s nothing racist whatsoever about it. Geeez! 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

There is literally nothing odd about it. When the tradition of stained glass depictions started, the people were generally illiterate, so they could not read the Bible. The statues and stained glass you see in those churches were a way to make the biblical stories more relatable to them. There’s nothing racist whatsoever about it. Geeez! 

Uh, I wasn't going toward racism but yeah.  Modern depictions almost always show him as white as well.  I'm aware there are others but I have seen zero in person. 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Two Christian scholars disagree:  https://www.britannica.com/story/the-long-history-of-how-jesus-came-to-resemble-a-whiteeuropean.  I'll post this again right here.

Just now, redtail hawk said:

Two Christian scholars disagree:  https://www.britannica.com/story/the-long-history-of-how-jesus-came-to-resemble-a-whiteeuropean.  I'll post this again right here.

Oh brother. So you instead choose to believe the people were all literate? 

2 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Uh, I wasn't going toward racism but yeah.  Modern depictions almost always show him as white as well.  I'm aware there are others but I have seen zero in person. 

There are MANY depictions of a colored Jesus. Again, the intent is to make him more relatable. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Oh brother. So you instead choose to believe the people were all literate? 

There are MANY depictions of a colored Jesus. Again, the intent is to make him more relatable. 

the people that commissioned most of the art weren't illiterate.  they knew what they were doing.  Additionally, per this article, the white Jesus we're all accustomed to is relatively new, when almost everybody was literate.  Harvey is very impressive.  Read what chris farley posted by him.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

How about not worshipping at all? 

You are free to do that also. Everything you post here indicates that’s not an option for you. Whatever floats your boat. As a freedom lover yourself I’m surprised to see you making fun of others beliefs. Maybe you and your ilk on this board are just paying lip service to the whole freedom/tolerance/inclusion thing. 

Wait, did I say maybe? My bad. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

You are free to do that also. Everything you post here indicates that’s not an option for you. Whatever floats your boat. As a freedom lover yourself I’m surprised to see you making fun of others beliefs. Maybe you and your ilk on this board are just paying lip service to the whole freedom/tolerance/inclusion thing. 

Boy, someone has lost it. Are you what they call a snow flake? 

1 minute ago, JDHillFan said:

Yours is the party of tolerance. Soldier on, person!

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/church-membership-falls-below-majority-first-time.aspx

U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time

https://news.gallup.com › poll › church-membership-falls-...

Mar 29, 2021 — There has been a seven-point decline in church membership, from 79% in 1998-2000 to 72% now, among traditionalists with a religious preference.

Walking away...

Just now, Tiberius said:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/church-membership-falls-below-majority-first-time.aspx

Mar 29, 2021 — There has been a seven-point decline in church membership, from 79% in 1998-2000 to 72% now, among traditionalists with a religious preference.

Walking away...

Which is everyone’s right. I take no issue with it. In other words I am tolerant of it. You seem to feel a need to drive a wedge. Seems odd to me but have at it. 

2 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Which is everyone’s right. I take no issue with it. In other words I am tolerant of it. You seem to feel a need to drive a wedge. Seems odd to me but have at it. 

just discussing religion, no need to get so upset 

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

As opposed to your daily worship of the military industrial complex? Between the two I’ll choose Christianity! 

Glad the rest of the country isn't like that, or we would all be speaking Russian by now....unless that's how you want it. Eh Comrade? 

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Walking away...

Kind of interesting that a full four fifths of US think we are on the wrong path, whatever that means.

These two stats happen at the same time.

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

just discussing religion, no need to get so upset 

Just so I can better understand you, do you mind pointing to the passages where I am “so upset”?  I’m merely contrasting one person’s viewpoint vs another’s. 

Just now, sherpa said:

Kind of interesting that a full four fifths of US think we are on the wrong path, whatever that means.

These two stats happen at the same time.

Ya, as if when church membership was high Americans were all just saying how great things were...

We are better off now materially and health wise than ever...and church membership is down. Coincidence? 

29 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Ya this. Nasty! 

What are you even trying to say? It's like you are upset and blurted out nonsense 

9 minutes ago, TSOL said:

Youre such a nihilist, 

no 

44 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

That take just shows you have went to churches in white areas. just saying.

if your say in Buffalo. you think the stain glass or paintings at Friendship, Macedonia Baptist?  Miricle mission's full gospel?   Bethesda?  

on a side note the Iroquois had the peacemaker or Deganawida.  its amazing how close that story is to the story of Jesus

If Jesus was born in Jerusalem (called David) and is The Davidic line or House of David.  its the same Davidic line that every monarch claims to be from.

9 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ya, as if when church membership was high Americans were all just saying how great things were...

We are better off now materially and health wise than ever...and church membership is down. Coincidence? 

Ya this. Nasty! 

What are you even trying to say? It's like you are upset and blurted out nonsense 

no 

Now what? The Church of Universal Healthcare? 

19 minutes ago, Tiberius said:
47 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

Expand  

Ya this. Nasty! 

That’s not me being nasty, that’s you struggling to follow a normal conversation. No problem. It happens. 

20 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Ya this. Nasty! 

Bring those points to the 80+% that think we're heading in the wrong direction.

4 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Bring those points to the 80+% that think we're heading in the wrong direction.

These folks have learned literally nothing from the storyline of the Old Testament. It’s honestly both sad and cute. Still, they’ll keep trying to run from Him and God will keep continuing to pursue them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

Fine. But it’s not ok to mock someone’s religious beliefs imo. They’re neither provable nor disprovable. This one is black/white. U either believe in a greater power or u don’t. I definitely do. 

Fine, but when you have a person, like say a supreme court justice, say she wants to enact the Kingdom of God on earth, it makes religion wide open for discussion, mocking or otherwise 

I have very close religious friends and some believe the earth is just like six thousand years old. It's difficult for me not to get sarcastic over that!