Gabe Davis caught an abysmal 51.6% of his 93 targets this year. Update: High% off target

Figster

Gabe was a large disappointment for me this year, but I do believe he hurt his right hand early in the year. He dropped some easy throws several times that were not normal for him, and his contested ball work was very poor. I know we will give him one more chance but hope this year he gets it all together. I will also state he was certainly misused. 

11 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Gabe was a large disappointment for me this year, but I do believe he hurt his right hand early in the year. He dropped some easy throws several times that were not normal for him, and his contested ball work was very poor. I know we will give him one more chance but hope this year he gets it all together. I will also state he was certainly misused. 

it’s possible Gabe may also have been affected by the earthquake in Buffalo this Monday.  So it might take a little longer for him to get it all together.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, prissythecat said:

it’s possible Gabe may also have been affected by the earthquake in Buffalo this Monday.  So it might take a little longer for him to get it all together.

Obviously this is a joke prissy, but seriously it does feel like some Bills fans will make any excuse for these guys. Davis hurt his hand? And when was this?

Given his big playoff game and couple more this year (there are always people enamoured with a couple flashy moments despite inconsistency) and a cost-controlled contract for one more year, I wouldn't be shocked if Beane was able to swing a player-for-player trade for Gabe or maybe even 4th rounder or something. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:29 AM, fergie's ire said:

My strongest emotional response after the Bengals game was "I am so done with Gabe Davis."  It is this "giving up" that annoys me so much, not just running routes but contested balls.  If he's not open it seems like he barely tries.  There's no fight in him.  Knox had drops but they were the easy ones...the ones he didn't have to fight for.  Not fighting for the ball is worse than a drop in my book.  Unfortunately, though I feel done with him, I don't think they can do much to move on now.  They wouldn't get much for him.  Have to hope he comes back next year with better focus.  Before the season I had hoped he would develop into a 1A type receiver and they could trade him for assets, because given what the receiver market was last year wouldn't be able to afford to extend such a receiver...but would have been a great asset to move.

I totally disagree with this.

He gives up? Just the opposite. One of his absolute strengths is that when Allen is scrambling for extra time Davis is terrific at keeping the play going and finding space. He's terrific at it.

He's got his limitations, certainly, but he fights for contested balls and keeps going when he's covered. Both strengths for him.

On 2/7/2023 at 9:56 AM, Figster said:

So you don't think the way Dorsey is using Davis has anything to do with it? 

Use Gabe Davis in the short game more and Davis's numbers get better IMO.

You can look at how on average a QB's completion percentage drops when you go from short to long range targeting. This carries over to the WR.

He's got a tight lower body, hips and legs. I hadn't thought it was all that big a deal, but according to Joe Marino the other day, this is a physical limitation for him. And it means he's mostly going to be doing more vertical routes. This means he's not as good at hard horizontal cuts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I totally disagree with this.

He gives up? Just the opposite. One of his absolute strengths is that when Allen is scrambling for extra time Davis is terrific at keeping the play going and finding space. He's terrific at it.

He's got his limitations, certainly, but he fights for contested balls and keeps going when he's covered. Both strengths for him.

He's got a tight lower body, hips and legs. I hadn't thought it was all that big a deal, but according to Joe Marino the other day, this is a physical limitation for him. And it means he's mostly going to be doing more vertical routes. This means he's not as good at hard horizontal cuts.

Thanks for this

16 hours ago, prissythecat said:

I'm tired of all the excuses for Gabe. Start Shakir at slot as your wr3 and stick Gabe outside as wr4.  Draft your wr2 in rounds 1 or 2. Love Quentin Johnston if he falls to 27.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1

On 2/7/2023 at 9:48 PM, Orlando Tim said:

Only because you had highly unrealistic expectations.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Given his big playoff game and couple more this year (there are always people enamoured with a couple flashy moments despite inconsistency) and a cost-controlled contract for one more year, I wouldn't be shocked if Beane was able to swing a player-for-player trade for Gabe or maybe even 4th rounder or something. 

3rd/4th rounder sounds good to me.

3 years, time move on and clear the clutter.

16 minutes ago, hemma said:

3rd/4th rounder sounds good to me.

3 years, time move on and clear the clutter.

I think if we get a third rounder it's no question: cost controlled contract for four years vs. Gabe who will seek a relatively big payday after this year. Yes, the draft is a crapshoot but Gabe is still inconsistent too and most agree not a true number two.

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Gabe’s got a picture up right now on Instagram or Twitter with Bert Kriescher and he’s got a full beer belly 3-weeks after the season.

So I don’t want to hear about him being the hardest worker on the Bills.

Draft a Round 1 WR. 

3 out the top 5 pass catchers the last two seasons were not 1st round picks ............ just saying.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:39 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

I know bashing Davis is hot right now (along with bashing anyone/everyone else from the team), but let's look at those numbers...

93 Targets

51.3% Catches (48)

7 true Drops

48 catches + 7 drops = 55

93 - 55 =38

So for all those targets, 38 of them (41%) were flat out misses by Josh. Mostly those deep, low percentage heaves that Josh just cant STOP himself from throwing when the D shows Cover 0 or Man or whatever gets him so excited.

I'm in favor of the "let's not make Gabe Davis our new whipping boy" theme.  I would agree in general, the routes he was asked to run/throws Josh made didn't do Gabe any favors. 

That said, I think your understanding of what constitutes a scored "drop" and how to calculate "flat out misses by the QB" are both incomplete.

A "drop" is pretty much defined as a throw that a competent receiver should be able to make easily.  Basically, the ball hits the WR in a frame between the head and the hips and maybe a forearm length to the side, no more

There are plenty of throws that a good NFL-quality WR is expected to be able to haul in, that are not scored as "drops".

That is not to say that a number of the throws in Gabe's direction were not off-target (not necessarily misses, but thrown over Gabe, possibly because he was held or didn't run as fast as Josh expected, possibly poor throws.

Data on how many throws were "catchable" vs. "throw aways" or so far off target there was no chance, are out there.  However, you can not determine what that number is, by simply subtracting his catches + drops from his targets, and saying the rest were "flat out misses by Josh"

That's simply not correct.

There's also a point that while his catch % was a career low and his drop % a career high this season, he ran about 55% his previous 2 years, when Josh was not throwing as many deep bombs and when elbow injury/accuracy were not believed to be factors.  That's not good, for a #2.

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I'm in favor of the "let's not make Gabe Davis our new whipping boy" theme.  I would agree in general, the routes he was asked to run/throws Josh made didn't do Gabe any favors. 

That said, I think your understanding of what constitutes a scored "drop" and how to calculate "flat out misses by the QB" are both incomplete.

A "drop" is pretty much defined as a throw that a competent receiver should be able to make easily.  Basically, the ball hits the WR in a frame between the head and the hips and maybe a forearm length to the side, no more

There are plenty of throws that a good NFL-quality WR is expected to be able to haul in, that are not scored as "drops".

That is not to say that a number of the throws in Gabe's direction were not off-target (not necessarily misses, but thrown over Gabe, possibly because he was held or didn't run as fast as Josh expected, possibly poor throws.

Data on how many throws were "catchable" vs. "throw aways" or so far off target there was no chance, are out there.  However, you can not determine what that number is, by simply subtracting his catches + drops from his targets, and saying the rest were "flat out misses by Josh"

That's simply not correct.

There's also a point that while his catch % was a career low and his drop % a career high this season, he ran about 55% his previous 2 years, when Josh was not throwing as many deep bombs and when elbow injury/accuracy were not believed to be factors.  That's not good, for a #2.

Even as I say this I will explain I do think he had some issues with not making some catches I would have liked to seen him make.  That said the guys average depth of target was around 6 yards deeper than other #2 receivers.  It doesn't excuse everything but it certainly does explain both how his production can be somewhat manic and also why he has more TD's than most #2 receivers you'll see.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.