Student in yearbook identified only as 'Black Girl

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/...stake23-ON.html

Student in yearbook identified only as 'Black Girl'

Associated Press

May. 23, 2005 11:42 AM

WAXAHACHIE, Texas - A Texas school district has apologized to a student identified only as "Black Girl" in a high school yearbook photo.

All the White students are identified by name in a photograph of the Waxahachie High School National Honor Society. The teen identified as "Black Girl" is the only Black student in the photo.

A schools spokeswoman says the caption apparently was intended as a placeholder until the yearbook staff could identify the student. She tells a newspaper, the Waxahachie Daily Light, the label was a poor choice, but wasn't malicious.

The spokeswoman says the school district will reprint the yearbook pages affected by the mistake.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/...stake23-ON.html

Student in yearbook identified only as 'Black Girl'

Associated Press

May. 23, 2005 11:42 AM

WAXAHACHIE, Texas - A Texas school district has apologized to a student identified only as "Black Girl" in a high school yearbook photo.

All the White students are identified by name in a photograph of the Waxahachie High School National Honor Society. The teen identified as "Black Girl" is the only Black student in the photo.

A schools spokeswoman says the caption apparently was intended as a placeholder until the yearbook staff could identify the student. She tells a newspaper, the Waxahachie Daily Light, the label was a poor choice, but wasn't malicious.

The spokeswoman says the school district will reprint the yearbook pages affected by the mistake.

343834[/snapback]

Is she black? Is she female? <_<

I don't see what's so offensive with the phrase "black girl". If it said the "N" word, then she might have a case, but come on. If I had "white guy" next to my picture, i'd laugh.

Some people have very thin skin!

343891[/snapback]

Instead of "black girl" they should have put "thin-skinned girl."

Of course, all the thin-skinned people would get up in arms.

I don't see what's so offensive with the phrase "black girl". If it said the "N" word, then she might have a case, but come on. If I had "white guy" next to my picture, i'd laugh.

343891[/snapback]

Actually what seems thin here is that folks don's take any note of the fact that separation by race in the society this school operates within is such that there is but one person who is a "Black Girl" in this school.

Anyone who find racial division in this society troubling should find this troubling.

Anyone who believes in fairness and agrees that separation in schools in inherently unequal as our Supreme Court does should find this troubling.

The fact that the girl was identified this way does not appear malicious and I would think is not a real problem.. The fact that she could be identfied as the sole person meeting this description though says a lot about society.

Actually what seems thin here is that folks don's take any note of the fact that separation by race in the society this school operates within is such that there is but one person who is a  "Black Girl" in this school.

Anyone who find racial division in this society troubling should find this troubling.

Anyone who believes in fairness and agrees that separation in schools in inherently unequal as our Supreme Court does should find this troubling.

The fact that the girl was identified this way does not appear malicious and I would think is not a real problem.. The fact that she could be identfied as the sole person meeting this description though says a lot about society.

343926[/snapback]

I don't find it troubling. I grew up in a small town in Central/Northern NY. I can only remember 3 black students in my entire 12 years in school there. This was out of a student body of about 1,000 students (K-12th). It's all a matter of location. I did some work recently in Brooklyn at a large hospital. I was in the minority there. Didn't bother me at all.

Actually what seems thin here is that folks don's take any note of the fact that separation by race in the society this school operates within is such that there is but one person who is a  "Black Girl" in this school.

343926[/snapback]

The town has 20,000 people in it:

http://www.internest.com/rylanddallas/rylanddallas18681.asp

I live in Hudson, WI, and if I recall that school statistics properly, it's 98% white, 1% asian, and 0.5% black (with another 0.5% misc). It's not right or wrong, it just is.

CW

I don't find it troubling. I grew up in a small town in Central/Northern NY. I can only remember 3 black students in my entire 12 years in school there. This was out of a student body of about 1,000 students (K-12th). It's all a matter of location. I did some work recently in Brooklyn at a large hospital. I was in the minority there. Didn't bother me at all.

343938[/snapback]

It seems fairly obvious to me that races are divided by locations that is called segregation.

The thing which some fine troubling (or interesting, or whatever) is that such segregation still seems to be the rule in our society.

In theory:

Income or asset levels are determined in a society which judges people based on character and talent by their inherent judgment and talent.

In a land of equal opportunity all have the opportunity to gain income or assets based upon their merit.

Location may well have some income bias associated with it as those who accumulate more assets or income would tend to live in the better locations.

We also live in a society where because of modern communications and technology we can all share a common culture that would tend to make living in separate locations at least more transparent if not allow for easy movement and mixing between locations as the all share many aspects of the common culture.

Yet, despite this general commitment to a merit based society, some sense that location would show a clear merit-based element and despite an unparalelled ease of movement between locations in modern society, what I find is an indication that we have not yet achieved the merit based society we (I) want (it is my fear of the failure of society to be merit based which I find troubling).

I guess such a finding should not be surprising as the statistics do indicate that:

Holding income constant one is twice as likely to be denied a loan by a bank if one is a person of color than part of the majority race.

Again holding economics as constant as possible different races are steered by real estate representatives to housing in specific locations.

Testing of medical prescriptions by doctors using pictures of patients and descriptions of their symptons and test results indicate that the treatments were prescribed with a gender and racial bias with white males tending to get more prescriptions of the more accurate and effective (and thus more expemsive so doctors tended to limit their use or prescription) mad men of color and women tending to get the less expensive treatment even with the same symptoms and medicals statistics as white males.

A wide range of studies found that both race and income were the best predictors of whether a person lived in the same zipcode as a hazardous waste site, but that race was an even better predictor than income of this bias.

What troubles me is that we still in many ways live in a society with significant racial barriers for mixing between people and that statisitcally separation still means inequality.

I guess it simply takes time for us to become truly a merit-based society with the majority of our time as a nation being based upon the inequality of slavery and then Jim Crow laws.

The ability to achieve asset and income accumulation shown in cases from Oprah Winfrey to Robert Johnson to Tiger Woods does provide some sense that the most talented of individuals in a particular area of expertise are finding the opportunity to do what they can do and profit from it, but to me the indication of division inherent in this yearbook study is a showing that these individuals and probably merit judgment is the exception rather than the rule.

Broad statistical measures of asset accumulation

The fact that she could be identfied as the sole person meeting this description though says a lot about society.

343926[/snapback]

Right, we need to move families around in buses so all neighborhoods have the right racial balance. Social Engineering rears its ugly head yet again.

It seems fairly obvious to me that races are divided by locations that is called segregation.

The thing which some fine troubling (or interesting, or whatever) is that such segregation still seems to be the rule in our society.

In theory:

Income or asset levels are determined in a society which judges people based on character and talent by their inherent judgment and talent.

In a land of equal opportunity all have the opportunity to gain income or assets based upon their merit.

Location may well have some income bias associated with it as those who accumulate more assets or income would tend to live in the better locations.

We also live in a society where because of modern communications and technology we can all share a common culture that would tend to make living in separate locations at least more transparent if not allow for easy movement and mixing between locations as the all share many aspects of the common culture.

Yet, despite this general commitment to a merit based society, some sense that location would show a clear merit-based element and despite an unparalelled ease of movement between locations in modern society, what I find is an indication that we have not yet achieved the merit based society we (I) want (it is my fear of the failure of society to be merit based which I find troubling).

I guess such a finding should not be surprising as the statistics do indicate that:

Holding income constant one is twice as likely to be denied a loan by a bank if one is a person of color than part of the majority race.

Again holding economics as constant as possible different races are steered by real estate representatives to housing in specific locations.

Testing of medical prescriptions by doctors using pictures of patients and descriptions of their symptons and test results indicate that the treatments were prescribed with a gender and racial bias with white males tending to get more prescriptions of the more accurate and effective (and thus more expemsive so doctors tended to limit their use or prescription) mad men of color and women tending to get the less expensive treatment even with the same symptoms and medicals statistics as white males.

A wide range of studies found that both race and income were the best predictors of whether a person lived in the same zipcode as a hazardous waste site, but that race was an even better predictor than income of this bias.

What troubles me is that we still in many ways live in a society with significant racial barriers for mixing between people and that statisitcally separation still means inequality.

I guess it simply takes time for us to become truly a merit-based society with the majority of our time as a nation being based upon the inequality of slavery and then Jim Crow laws.

The ability to achieve asset and income accumulation shown in cases from Oprah Winfrey to Robert Johnson to Tiger Woods does provide some sense that the most talented of individuals in a particular area of expertise are finding the opportunity to do what they can do and profit from it, but to me the indication of division inherent in this yearbook study is a showing that these individuals and probably merit judgment is the exception rather than the rule.

Broad statistical measures of asset accumulation

344080[/snapback]

Sorry, I'm not buying that blather. If I've made enough money to live in a good school district, I don't want MY tax dollars paying for kids from the inner city to attend that school. If their parents want to foot the bill for their kids to attend my district's schools, then so be it. But not my tax dollars.

343891[/snapback]

It's true that people do have thin skin, especially in circumstances like these. You don't see what's offensive about it? Well, when your race is put into slavery for over 400 years, then endures more torture and killings at the hands of the Klan during the Jim Crow law/civil rights era, and still has trouble being seen as equals in many aspects of life, then you'd understand a bit more. Not saying that I am that thin skinned on race issues, but there are plenty of black people who are, and for good reason.

Sorry, I'm not buying that blather. If I've made enough money to live in a good school district, I don't want MY tax dollars paying for kids from the inner city to attend that school. If their parents want to foot the bill for their kids to attend my district's schools, then so be it. But not my tax dollars.

344143[/snapback]

I think he's complaining that people shouldn't even need to be bussed in, that they should already be living there... 0:)

Of course I'd assume that someone who writes, "as proven in numerous studies" as frequently as he did would at least LINK to those studies... But maybe that 's just me.

CW

It's true that people do have thin skin, especially in circumstances like these.  You don't see what's offensive about it?  Well, when your race is put into slavery for over 400 years, then endures more torture and killings at the hands of the Klan during the Jim Crow law/civil rights era, and still has trouble being seen as equals in many aspects of life, then you'd understand a bit more.  Not saying that I am that thin skinned on race issues, but there are plenty of black people who are, and for good reason.

344146[/snapback]

Don't you know that it is up to white people to decide what black people are allowed and not allowed to find offensive? Get with the program. Those never victimized by racism are quite obviously in a far better postion to determine what is and is not racist. As for the victims of racism, what could they possibly know about racism?

Most white people in the US have decided that racism no longer exists therefore it doesn't. Simple, see?

Don't you know that it is up to white people to decide what black people are allowed and not allowed to find offensive?  Get with the program.  Those never victimized by racism are quite obviously in a far better postion to determine what is and is not racist.  As for the victims of racism, what could they possibly know about racism?

Most white people in the US have decided that racism no longer exists therefore it doesn't.  Simple, see?

344194[/snapback]

Yessuh, Ize doo seez it, suh.

Don't you know that it is up to white people to decide what black people are allowed and not allowed to find offensive?  Get with the program.  Those never victimized by racism are quite obviously in a far better postion to determine what is and is not racist.  As for the victims of racism, what could they possibly know about racism?

Most white people in the US have decided that racism no longer exists therefore it doesn't.  Simple, see?

344194[/snapback]

Down with whitey!

Look man, my ancestors never lynched anybody, never owned a slave. Neither have I. So how is it I'm supposed to pay for the sins of people in the past with whome I've got no connectionother than the color of my skin, huh?

b.s. People gravitate towards those that are most like themselves. It's natural, not segregation. Does it also trouble you that Koreans, Russians, Arabs, etc. all tend to form homogeneous communities within our cities?

In my High School yearbook, anyone that didnt complete the athletic season after the team photo was taken had "I quit" placed under his picture. Odd, there was no hue and cry over this. I guess I didnt grow up in such prissy times.

Down with whitey!

Look man, my ancestors never lynched anybody, never owned a slave. Neither have I. So how is it I'm supposed to pay for the sins of people in the past with whome I've got no connectionother than the color of my skin, huh?

344204[/snapback]

Who said you're supposed to pay? All I said was that because of what black people went through for centuries, many do hold a grudge.

All I said was that because of what black people went through for centuries, many do hold a grudge.

Most of those people are dead, as are their oppressors. So who is perpetuating the grudge? People that want the free ride continued into the 23rd century? I was bused as a kid, and I was denied a job once because I was not a"black female".

I agree with Bill Cosby, it's time for people to get off their lazy @ss and taking responsibility for their own kids instead of letting the state or some sports icon be their role model.

344143[/snapback]

Separate and unequal. Great idea for a public school. Why don't we just implement a caste system. Your money should protect you from the 'great unwashed,' right?

Down with whitey!

344204[/snapback]

Wow!

Why? Because there are still millions of racists in America. How long ago was the 1960's? Those same people that hated Black people and raised their kids to hate black people still hate black people. Known Racists are in the minority, but there are many closet Racists and still millions of known racists in America.

It wont be gone until that generation dies, and most likely it will still be around.

When you have a school of mostly white kids, to lable a girl the "Black Girl", it shows ignorance and a lack of inteligence.

I thought more people on this board would understand this. People get all upset whenever the Race card is brought up, BUT THERE IS A BIG REASON WHY IT IS BROUGHT UP.

If your a black man in society today, lets say like 30, how old might your Father and Mother be? What major movement did they live through? Thats your answer. It wasnt long ago when Racism was alive and well throughout the country, greater in some places than others. Its still a problem, and instead of asking why do Black people always whine about racism, show sympathy and understanding, or better yet dont say or do anything at all.

Wow!

Why? Because there are still millions of racists in America.  How long ago was the 1960's?  Those same people that hated Black people and raised their kids to hate black people still hate black people.  Known Racists are in the minority, but there are many closet Racists and still millions of known racists in America.

It wont be gone until that generation dies, and most likely it will still be around. 

When you have a school of mostly white kids, to lable a girl the "Black Girl", it shows ignorance and a lack of inteligence.

I thought more people on this board would understand this.  People get all upset whenever the Race card is brought up, BUT THERE IS A BIG REASON WHY IT IS BROUGHT UP. 

If your a black man in society today, lets say like 30, how old might your Father and Mother be?  What major movement did they live through?  Thats your answer.  It wasnt long ago when Racism was alive and well throughout the country, greater in some places than others.  Its still a problem, and instead of asking why do Black people always whine about racism, show sympathy and understanding, or better yet dont say or do anything at all.

344240[/snapback]

It is true that racism still exists. It is also true that there is a small percentage African-Americans that are purposely trying to keep it alive in order to use it as a crutch. Actual racism (white on black, for example) is well documented, so there is no need for me to elaborate. I will focus on the second part of my statement.

I have seen first-hand, instances of people using their race as a crutch. For instance, I have seen a student do absolutely no work in a class. Their GPA was below 1.0 as a result. After getting an F on an exam (one in which the student did not write answers to about 95 percent of the questions), immediately jump up and cry that the teacher was racist for giving him an F. The teacher showed that about 95 percent of the answers were missing, but the student insisted that the reason why the teacher gave the student an F was that the student was black and the teacher was white, not that 95 percent of the answers were missing. The student then stormed out of the class and went to the dean to report the teacher. This is just one instance of several I have seen over the years. This does nothing to eliminate racism in our society.

Is is because they have seen so much racism in their lives that they automatically assume that anything not going their way is due to racism? Possibly. How do you break that vicious cycle? I don't know. As long as African-Americans are victims of racism, there will always be thoughts of racist activities against them in their minds. As long as African-Americans "play the race card" when there is no evidence of racism, there will continue to be resentment from people. One perpetuates the other, and vise versa.

All I said was that because of what black people went through for centuries, many do hold a grudge.

Most of those people are dead, as are their oppressors. So who is perpetuating the grudge? People that want the free ride continued into the 23rd century?  I was bused as a kid, and I was denied a job once because I was not a"black female".

I agree with Bill Cosby, it's time for people to get off their lazy @ss and taking responsibility for their own kids instead of letting the state or some sports icon be their role model.

344230[/snapback]

dib, it's not just "lazy a**" blacks who still remember what atrocities blacks were forced to endure. There are plenty of educated and employed blacks who deal w/ racism on a daily basis. Now, do they use it as an excuse? No. To ASSume that the blacks who still are bitter due to many years of racism are all unemployed and lazy is quite incorrect. I consider myself educated and I've been employed for the better part of the past 18 years and there are still times when I feel the effects of racism. It happens, and will probably happen from time to time for the rest of my life. I can accept that, even if I don't agree w/ it.

Separate and unequal.  Great idea for a public school.  Why don't we just implement a caste system.  Your money should protect you from the 'great unwashed,' right?

344236[/snapback]

Motney talks, BS walks, pal.

If I'm paying $X every year so that the kids in my district get a top-notch education, why should someone who does not have to share that burden reap the benefits?

This ain't the USSR.

Wow!

Why? Because there are still millions of racists in America.  How long ago was the 1960's?  Those same people that hated Black people and raised their kids to hate black people still hate black people.  Known Racists are in the minority, but there are many closet Racists and still millions of known racists in America.

I thought more people on this board would understand this.  People get all upset whenever the Race card is brought up, BUT THERE IS A BIG REASON WHY IT IS BROUGHT UP. 

If your a black man in society today, lets say like 30, how old might your Father and Mother be?  What major movement did they live through?  Thats your answer.  It wasnt long ago when Racism was alive and well throughout the country, greater in some places than others.  Its still a problem, and instead of asking why do Black people always whine about racism, show sympathy and understanding, or better yet dont say or do anything at all.

344240[/snapback]

Yes, because we should all be forced to either tow the line or have no opinion on the subject because we're white, right?

Right. Because that's what this country is all about, right? Right.

My grandfather couldn't speak English when he got to this country, and yet was able to put himself through Harvard Law. How was that possible without affirmative action? By all accounts he was a TRUE victim of racism. He was a prisoner of the Nazis for the only reason of having a dual Polish/US citizenship. There's not a black alive that suffered in that manner. So, no, I don't have any pity for whiners or excuse makers. The barriers that were in place in the 50s aren't around any more. No more exucses.

Guest BackInDaDay

We're talking about a young person's feelings here.

The HS can say there was no malicious intent, but that assumes an aggressive plan to embarrass the girl. The lack of effort to insure the girl's name was included in the photo's caption prior to printing could be interpreted as a passive-aggressive act, resulting in the same degree of embarrassment.

How could something that may seem like an innocent mistake to you, be interpreted as something far more sinister to others?

Perhaps, because black citizens of this country have faced a long history of exclusion and rejection. Think of white racsim as a 'conditioning' program that our black neighbors have been forced to participate in. It's past benefit to white Americans was in fostering a self-loathing and low esteem among black Americans.

Christian doctrine may have demanded that we free the slave, but economic doctrine demanded that we maintained their slave-mentality. "Like a dog on the corner, that can't lift his head, he settles for lifting his leg instead", Danny O'Keefe.

So for the last fifty years America has been trying to undo this conditioning.

Unfortunately, we're talking about re-arranging the deformed perceptions of a collective pyche. It will take time and postive reinforcement to facillitate this change.

Everyone responds well to compassion, thoughfulness and respect.

This story is about the lack of all three.

Motney talks, BS walks, pal.

If I'm paying $X every year so that the kids in my district get a top-notch education, why should someone who does not have to share that burden reap the benefits?

This ain't the USSR.

344285[/snapback]

So put up some real money and dump your kids in private school, where they can learn racism the old fashioned way.

Claiming that equality in education is equivalent to being in the USSR is downright moronic.

So put up some real money and dump your kids in private school, where they can learn racism the old fashioned way.

Claiming that equality in education is equivalent to being in the USSR is downright moronic.

344303[/snapback]

He is not saying that equality in education is equivalent to being in the USSR. What he is saying is that person A pays $2000/yr in taxes for schools. Person B pays $1000/yr in taxes for schools. Why should person B benefit from the additional taxes paid by person A? If Person B wants the benefits of person A, they should pay the same taxes as person A.

He is not saying that equality in education is equivalent to being in the USSR. What he is saying is that person A pays $2000/yr in taxes for schools. Person B pays $1000/yr in taxes for schools. Why should person B benefit from the additional taxes paid by person A? If Person B wants the benefits of person A, they should pay the same taxes as person A.

344309[/snapback]

It's a PUBLIC education. All kids, no matter the economic status of their parents should have access to it. Just because you choose to pay more in taxes doesn't give you the right to build a wall around the school and keep others out.

If you want to deny access to "inner city kids" (whatever that implies), pay the extra dough to go to a private school that will keep the "inner city kids" out.

344309[/snapback]

Oh so now you want to raise taxes on these poor inner city kids. 0:)

Tax and spend. All you politicians are the same. :angry: