No Joe Bus, Burrow did not surpass Allen based on yesterday

appoo

Joe Bus (whom I'm a fan of), in his weekly observations athletic article, said Burrow had surpassed Josh Allen. 

Now, you won't ever see me denigrate Joe Burrow. Awesome QB, and it's possible he is a better franchise QB than Allen. But using yesterday as the basis for that observation is an absurdity. 

In the regular season Burrow and Allen had the same amount of TD passes (Josh added a bunch of rushing TDs). 

This is who Burrow was throwing to:

Ja'Marr Chase (generational talent)

Tee Higginns (Borderline #1 Talent)

Tyler Boyd (possibly the best slot in the NFL)

Hayden Hurst (top 5 TE)

PLUS - Joe Mixon, a premier RB

This is Josh Allen's cast

Stefon Diggs - elite WR

Gabe Dabis - wildly inconsistent, only caught 50% of his targets

Cornucopia of sadness at the slot

Dawson Knox - a TE the OC didn't really want in the game plan, but otherwise a top 5 TE

PLUS - the run game, and I'll let that stand on it's own

This is just unfair to Allen. Again is Burrow supremely talented, and is possibly better than Allen? Possibly! Using yesterday's game as evidence? Because Joe could simply operate the offense in a fairly easy way with an outstanding run game vs Allen having to play superman in overcoming horrible OLine play, and a hugely average WR corps, and an unused run game? 

That is the hottest of hot takes

Edited by appoo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 5
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, CDogg20 said:

Burrow is a stud.

so is Allen.

i hate to say it but until proven otherwise its Mahomes at the top then Josh and Joe as 2a and 2b

I think that's the correct take, but not remotely what Joe was saying

• appoo changed the title to No Joe Bus, Burrow did not surpass Allen based on yesterday
1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He's not completely wrong.

Any fan can make arguments for Mahomes, Burrow, Allen being 1-2-3 in any order. Burrow stays cool and gets the job done, Allen is all over the place.

Chase missed a handful of games too (at least 4 I believe).

There's a reason Allen is all over the place. He doesn't get the protection, or playmakers, that Burrow has

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, appoo said:

I think that's the correct take, but not remotely what Joe was saying

Give Josh those weapons the narritive is different in his eyes. Ughhh i’m still bitter 🤣

Edited by CDogg20
  • Like (+1) 1

He isnt a better regular season Quarterback.   But its starting to get really hard to argue the kid isnt better in the playoffs.  He is 5-5 in playoff games, and is one game away from being in his 2nd Super Bowl.  When QBs are remembered long term, no one brings up their supporting casts at the top of the argument.    By the end of next year we could be talking about Burrow being a better all around QB, but at the moment it goes Mahomes then Allen.

Like it or not, the national narrative around Josh right now is whether he is the next Philip Rivers.

Edited by thenorthremembers

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Protection? Not familiar with Cincy's OL, eh?

They basically bought a new OLine this offseason, that until the playoffs stayed healthy through out the season. It was terrible coming out of traIning camp, having never played with each other, and better towards the end of September, and until it was a very good unit by the end of the season. When Burrow wasn't protected well, they looked awful

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

He isnt a better regular season Quarterback.   But its starting to get really hard to argue the kid isnt better in the playoffs.  He is 5-5 in playoff games, and is one game away from being in his 2nd Super Bowl.  When QBs are remembered long term, no one brings up their supporting casts at the top of the argument.    By the end of next year we could be talking about Burrow being a better all around QB, but at the moment it goes Mahomes then Allen.

Like it or not, the national narrative around Josh right now is whether he is the next Philip Rivers.

He was hugely average last year's playoffs. This year is quite different

7 minutes ago, appoo said:

Joe Bus (whom I'm a fan of), in his weekly observations athletic article, said Burrow had surpassed Josh Allen. 

Now, you won't ever see me denigrate Joe Burrow. Awesome QB, and it's possible he is a better franchise QB than Allen. But using yesterday as the basis for that observation is an absurdity. 

In the regular season Burrow and Allen had the same amount of TD passes (Josh added a bunch of rushing TDs). 

This is who Burrow was throwing to:

Ja'Marr Chase (generational talent)

Tee Higginns (Borderline #1 Talent)

Tyler Boyd (possibly the best slot in the NFL)

Hayden Hurst (top 5 TE)

PLUS - Joe Mixon, a premier RB

This is Josh Allen's cast

Stefon Diggs - elite WR

Gabe Dabis - wildly inconsistent, only caught 50% of his targets

Cornucopia of sadness at the slot

Dawson Knox - a TE the OC didn't really want in the game plan, but otherwise a top 5 TE

PLUS - the run game, and I'll let that stand on it's own

This is just unfair to Allen. Again is Burrow supremely talented, and is possibly better than Allen? Possibly! Using yesterday's game as evidence? Because Joe could simply operate the offense in a fairly easy way with an outstanding run game vs Allen having to play superman in overcoming horrible OLine play, and a hugely average WR corps, and an unused run game? 

That is the hottest of hot takes

Also our patchwork secondary against those WRs doesn't help. No Hyde, Poyers been banged up, Tres not back 100% yet, a few rookies, and an average Journeyman in Dane Jackson. Taron Johnson might be the only bright spot. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Protection? Not familiar with Cincy's OL, eh?

They brought in 3 olinemen this past season and they played the first 15 games together.

Meanwhile, we get Bobby Hart and settle.

Edited by The Wiz

Just now, The Wiz said:

They brought in 3 olinemen this past season and they played the first 15 games together.

And they werent good.

And we've been dealing with "Sugar Josh vs Angry Josh" for years.

Still love Allen, would commit crimes for him. But Burrow is far more consistent week in and week out. Never have to wonder which Joe is showing up.

Still love you, Josh!

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

Just now, Beach said:

some fans worry too much about how some guy ranks something

Fair, but it just annoyed me seeing Joe Bus write that in the immediate aftermath of yesterday's game.  

Allen is the only reason this team wasn't 7-10 or so

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

Fair, but it just annoyed me seeing Joe Bus write that in the immediate aftermath of yesterday's game.  

Allen is the only reason this team wasn't 7-10 or so

i agree with you on Allen.  I dont know who Joe Bus is, but i dont watch or read any media.  Sports media is designed for pointless debates and rankings so i just ignore it.  I dont know which QB is better, i just hope ours can win us a SB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.