Clayton talks Henry

And I just don't see any of it happening.  McGahee doesn't have any incentive to sign a long term deal now.  And Henry just wants the hell out.  He's gone after this year no matter what, so the ONLY thing he's an insurance policy against is a McGahee hold out and I don't see that happening.

343069[/snapback]

I can't say that McGahee will sign now either, I honestly don't see any advantage for him to do it now, but maybe Clayton's and Tennessee's feelings are that TD isnt going to let Henry go till we at least try to get McGahee signed for an extension. Think of it as a 1 year insurance policy against a holdout this year, nothing more.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if anyone caught this or not. But on the "Inside the Huddle" segment of Sportscenter at 6 today, Jon Clayton was talking about the Titans RB situation.

He said that with Chris Brown injured, they really want to have Travis Henry. When Brown comes back, he and Travis would share the duties. But this is where it gets interesting......

Clayton said that the Titans seem to think that Donahoe will not trade Travis until they sign McGahee to a long-term deal!

That's a side of this that I never looked at and it makes perfect sense!

343008[/snapback]

Are you saying the Titans only want to trade for Travis even tho it's just for the year? We all know he wants a long term contract with somebody.

I don't know if anyone caught this or not. But on the "Inside the Huddle" segment of Sportscenter at 6 today, Jon Clayton was talking about the Titans RB situation.

He said that with Chris Brown injured, they really want to have Travis Henry. When Brown comes back, he and Travis would share the duties. But this is where it gets interesting......

Clayton said that the Titans seem to think that Donahoe will not trade Travis until they sign McGahee to a long-term deal!

That's a side of this that I never looked at and it makes perfect sense!

343008[/snapback]

3 YEARS is a lifetime for a RB. And one hit on that knee could end it all.Remember a few times last year he got up VERY slowly after some hits. Why not see how his health holds out this year....THEN sign him to an extension with a lot of $ up front??

Did I mention that 3 years is a LONG time for a RB??

3 YEARS is a lifetime for a RB. And one hit on that knee could end it all.Remember a few times last year he got up VERY slowly after some hits. Why not see how his health holds out this year....THEN sign him to an extension with a lot of $ up front??

Did I mention that 3 years is a LONG time for a RB??

343100[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly. Dude has THREE years left on his deal. How this would tie into TH getting traded is beyond me. Okay, lets say I'm Rosenhaus and TD comes to me and says sign this extension, or we are going with TH as our starter. That would make me shiver in my boots. Keeping TH provides no leverage to TD. However, as I have said many times, unless we get at least a 2nd rd pick, I prefer to keep him as a backup.

McGahee, and for that matter Clements, will not be done until there is some kind of resolution to the CBA.

Five years:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/6561634

...maybe:

McGahee Chat Highlights From ESPN.com

April 14, 2005

http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=0786

Ben (ny): if you play really well this season will you ask to renegotiate your contract?

Willis McGahee: I don't know, Ben. You will have to wait and see.

343018[/snapback]

well hes already been here for 2.

so thats only 3 left. :w00t:

i don't know why anyone would want to see an extension for mcgahee at this point..........rosenhaus has proven a contract doesn't mean anything to him.........even if willis resigned for 10 years, we'd still be looking at a holdout from him next off-season.......

What do you think?

343050[/snapback]

From the players standpoint it makes perfect sense to wait until after the year. Unless there is some lingering doubt in his mind (or his agent's) about holding up through an entire NFL season. Perhaps TD offers a decent package and they weigh the value vs. what might be. WM has a great year he has all the leverage. WM goes down, leverage Bills.

High stakes poker anyone?

You may hate him for it but if Drew R. is the agent he is supposed to be, he may very well have Willis hold out this year, not next. Willis, more than any other player, knows just how fleeting being on top of the football world can be. He surely knows that he is never more than an awkward move or ill-timed hit away from serious injury. For that reason, you strike while you can, when you can. If you wait, you might find yourself wondering how to pay your rehab bill rather than renegotiating a big deal come next year. Every game he plays puts at risk the money he could be making with a better contrat now that he has proved that he has recovered.

Alot can happen in a year. The OL could be so bad he doesn't gain a yard half the time. He could have another serious injury. He could have trouble with the law, who knows? It happens. Right now his value to this team what with the OL changes, Travis leaving and a new QB, is at a premium. No one should be surprised if he decides, along with his agent, that he has to make a move now.

Players should hold out prior to every game.  You never know when it will be your last.

343292[/snapback]

I agree completely...when willis scored those 4 TD's against seattle last year, he should have stayed on the sideline until he got a better contract...i mean a player who scores that many TD's in 1 game obvously deserves more signing bonus and a larger contract...

:w00t:

http://www.billsdaily.com/news/index.shtml#052405

McGahee Long Term: John Clayton of ESPN reports that the Bills are reluctant to trade Travis Henry until they lock up Willis McGahee to a long term deal. McGahee has three years left on his contract that is heavily incentive laden. If he continues at his pace, he would hit many of them and then would want to be paid like a top back. Clayton confirms reports that the Titans are the main team interested in Henry's services.

Players should hold out prior to every game.  You never know when it will be your last.

343292[/snapback]

Perfect Point.

I wonder when we will see the day when lanquage in a contract will stipulate that if the player holds out while still under contract, all bonus money paid to date becomes payable back to club on the date of the first preseason game. Thats the type of clause we need in Roscoes contract

Just listening to Rosenhaus and McGahee and you know he is going to hold out this year or next year. Admittedly, next year looks more likely, but it could happen this year. I believe he showed up to minicamp, but if TH is traded before Camp opens, I can definitely see Mcgahee holding out. He'll say, "I'm the clear cut starter now, I'm not going back until I'm paid like a top back."

McGahee does not sound like he is going to be here long term. As someone else mentioned thats all you have to do is go out and read what WM had to say in his chat and it sounds like he could care less what team he's on as long as he gets paid what he's worth. For what the Bills did for him, I don't see any loyalty in him whatsoever, that's why I really don't like the kid that much.

Just listening to Rosenhaus and McGahee and you know he is going to hold out this year or next year.  Admittedly, next year looks more likely, but it could happen this year.  I believe he showed up to minicamp, but if TH is traded before Camp opens, I can definitely see Mcgahee holding out.  He'll say, "I'm the clear cut starter now, I'm not going back until I'm paid like a top back."

McGahee does not sound like he is going to be here long term.  As someone else mentioned thats all you have to do is go out and read what WM had to say in his chat and it sounds like he could care less what team he's on as long as he gets paid what he's worth.  For what the Bills did for him, I don't see any loyalty in him whatsoever, that's why I really don't like the kid that much.

343370[/snapback]

Loyalty shmoyalty. The instant he doesn't produce, we will drop him faster than you can say historeee. What did we do for him other than pick him before Oakland would have?

Players are not just players. They are business men. So is TD. TD will try to get the most talent for the least amount of cash and the players will try to get as much money as they can before their usually short careers are over and done.

That doesn't make either of them immoral or less likable in my book. It is their job.

Perfect Point.

I wonder when we will see the day when lanquage in a contract will stipulate that if the player holds out while still under contract, all bonus money paid to date becomes payable back to club on the date of the first preseason game. Thats the type of clause we need in Roscoes contract

343307[/snapback]

The players would respond that the NFL has a monopoly, a likely illegal one at that. Neither side ever wants that decided in court. That is why the league and the teams do not take these guys to court when they hold out and breach their contract. The breach of an illegal contract is not an actionable breach. You and I can quit our jobs and work for another company any time we want. These guys can't because the teams do not function as separate competetive businesses. The league functions as one big company and their labor practices are openly collusive.

If such a clause as you suggested were actually used, players would not sign the contracts or would bring on litigation challenging the NFL's lack of free agency as monopolistic, anti-competetive and collusive.

Hold outs are nothing new. They happen over and over and over and the reason the teams do nothing about is because at this point, they know that is how the game is played.

343292[/snapback]

So you think the idea of asking for a raise after a particulary well done job is some sort of unheard of ridiculous exercise?

Holding out during training camp is about as unusual as a sunrise. That is when it makes sense to hold out because you don't really miss all that much and the pressure builds for the team to sign you. Agents know that and if they are advising their clients to hold out, that is when they do it. They actually get paid on a per game basis so they don't miss any paychecks holding out in camp. If they held out during the season, they start missing $.

Willis is in a unique situation. But for the injury, he would be making huge dollars. We have him at a bargain because we took a chance on him and because he worked so hard to recover. I don't think you can compare a guy like Willis who has already had two devastating knee injuries to every other player. There are lots of reasons it would make a lot of sense for him to go for it now so I wouldn't be surprised, given his aggressive agent, if he did just that.

John Clayton of ESPN reports that the Bills are reluctant to trade Travis Henry until they lock up Willis McGahee to a long term deal.

This sounds to me like TD using the media to try and get a trade partner to throw a little more in the pot.