Clayton talks Henry

I don't know if anyone caught this or not. But on the "Inside the Huddle" segment of Sportscenter at 6 today, Jon Clayton was talking about the Titans RB situation.

He said that with Chris Brown injured, they really want to have Travis Henry. When Brown comes back, he and Travis would share the duties. But this is where it gets interesting......

Clayton said that the Titans seem to think that Donahoe will not trade Travis until they sign McGahee to a long-term deal!

That's a side of this that I never looked at and it makes perfect sense!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I trust Clayton's opinion about as far as I can throw him...

Okay...bad example, since I could probably hurl his 60 pound body quite a distance. But how many times does Clayton have to be wrong this offseason before people stop taking him seriously?

McGahee has 3-4 more years left on his friggin contract...thats pretty long-term.

Didn't McGahee sign a 7 year deal?

343013[/snapback]

Five years:

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/6561634

...maybe:

McGahee Chat Highlights From ESPN.com

April 14, 2005

http://www.wgr550.com/bills/fullstory.php?id=0786

Ben (ny): if you play really well this season will you ask to renegotiate your contract?

Willis McGahee: I don't know, Ben. You will have to wait and see.

Didn't McGahee sign a 7 year deal?

343013[/snapback]

According to NFLPA.org, McGahee is only under contract for 3 more years (through the 2007 season). In addition to this, he's represented by Drew Rosenhaus, so you have to figure that if (and seemingly it's more a question of when at this point) he has a big time year, he's going to want to tear up his contract and hold out.

McGahee has 3-4 more years left on his friggin contract...thats pretty long-term.

343017[/snapback]

Not in my opinion it isn't!

I want him tied up longer than just 3 more years. Especially since he's got Rosenhaus as an agent. People call TD satan? They obviosly don't know D. Rosenhaus!

Excellent point by Clayton, I also get nervous with a reconstructed knee (fingers crossed) but Locking up Willis should be a #1 priority for this team. Although I am concerned about getting him up at cap friendly rate, Rosenhous will stretch it for as much as he can, and usually likes to use the holdout as a leverage tool, Hope Tom Donahoe can get it done before it becomes a major issue.

Excellent point by Clayton, I also get nervous with a reconstructed knee (fingers crossed) but Locking up Willis should be a #1 priority for this team. Although I am concerned about getting him up at cap friendly rate, Rosenhous will stretch it for as much as he can, and usually likes to use the holdout as a leverage tool, Hope Tom Donahoe can get it done before it becomes a major issue.

343023[/snapback]

How is it an excellent point? It's not at all. It's ridiculous. Why in the world would McGahee lock into a long term deal at this point in his career? He wants to go out and have an 1,800 yd season get his name mentioned in the same breath as the Tomlinsons and Holmeses of the NFL and THEN demand a new contract. He'll have leverage then, he doesn't have it now. And as far as Henry goes he'd be absolutely no help to the Bills if they can't lock up McGahee long term because he's GONE after this year no matter what happens.

How is it an excellent point?  It's not at all.  It's ridiculous.  Why in the world would McGahee lock into a long term deal at this point in his career?  He wants to go out and have an 1,800 yd season get his name mentioned in the same breath as the Tomlinsons and Holmeses of the NFL and THEN demand a new contract.  He'll have leverage then, he doesn't have it now.  And as far as Henry goes he'd be absolutely no help to the Bills if they can't lock up McGahee long term because he's GONE after this year no matter what happens.

343027[/snapback]

Doc, ease up. You are making WAY too much sense, OK?

Thanks. :w00t:

How is it an excellent point?  It's not at all.  It's ridiculous.  Why in the world would McGahee lock into a long term deal at this point in his career?  He wants to go out and have an 1,800 yd season get his name mentioned in the same breath as the Tomlinsons and Holmeses of the NFL and THEN demand a new contract.  He'll have leverage then, he doesn't have it now.  And as far as Henry goes he'd be absolutely no help to the Bills if they can't lock up McGahee long term because he's GONE after this year no matter what happens.

343027[/snapback]

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you. Has anyone ever stopped to ponder (other than me, I asked this qustion a week or so ago, but got no response) that McGahee could actually hold out THIS season. I know it sounds insane, but this will be the summer of the Drew Rosenhaus client sit outs! Rosenhaus has said as much. I know it sounds paranoid, but I distinctly this question being posed to Rosenhaus last August (2004), on one of the sports talk radio stations (and I am adlibbibng here, but this is the jist of it):

Question: How is your client, Willis McGahee coming along?

Rosenhaus: He is having an excellent camp, he will be 110% by the start of the season.

Question: How good do you think he can be, this year, coming off that terrible knee injury, and not having taken a hit in a year and a half?

Rosenhaus: Let me put it this way, once you see what Willis McGahee play, you will agree with me that the Buffalo Bills should be sued for "theft of services". They are getting a great deal.

Now, that might just sound like Rosenhuas being cute, but this guy is an egomaniac, and loves to make noise. I wouldn't put it past him to pull something this summer. I wouldn't be surprised if he is anxiously awaiting Travis to get dealt, so he can throw his ace down...who knows, it could all be wild speculation, but nothing would surprise me when it comes to Rosenhaus.

The few interviews I have heard with Willis, he doesn't seem real into the Bills either. Not that he has said anything negative about being there, but he seems to have a little of that "I am looking out for Willis McGahee" attitude. Lets face it, coming from Miami, Buffalo is likely one of the last places he envisioned himself playing. Could the drafting of Parrish and Everett been a small attempt to make McGahee receptive to talking about a long term contract. TD is not stupid. He knows a holdout is very strong possibiltiy for McGahee.

Under normal circumstances, I would agree with you.  Has anyone ever stopped to ponder (other than me, I asked this qustion a week or so ago, but got no response) that McGahee could actually hold out THIS season.  I know it sounds insane, but this will be the summer of the Drew Rosenhaus client sit outs!  Rosenhaus has said as much. I know it sounds paranoid, but I distinctly this question being posed to Rosenhaus last August (2004), on one of the sports talk radio stations (and I am adlibbibng here, but this is the jist of it):

Question:  How is your client, Willis McGahee coming along?

Rosenhaus:  He is having an excellent camp, he will be 110% by the start of the season. 

Question:  How good do you think he can be, this year, coming off that terrible knee injury, and not having taken a hit in a year and a half?

Rosenhaus:  Let me put it this way, once you see what Willis McGahee play, you will agree with me that the Buffalo Bills should be sued for "theft of services".  They are getting a great deal.

Now, that might just sound like Rosenhuas being cute, but this guy is an egomaniac, and loves to make noise.  I wouldn't put it past him to pull something this summer.  I wouldn't be surprised if he is anxiously awaiting Travis to get dealt, so he can throw his ace down...who knows, it could all be wild speculation, but nothing would surprise me when it comes to Rosenhaus.

The few interviews I have heard with Willis, he doesn't seem real into the Bills either.  Not that he has said anything negative about being there, but he seems to have a little of that "I am looking out for Willis McGahee" attitude.  Lets face it, coming from Miami, Buffalo is likely one of the last places he envisioned himself playing.  Could the drafting of Parrish and Everett been a small attempt to make McGahee receptive to talking about a long term contract.  TD is not stupid.  He knows a holdout is very strong possibiltiy for McGahee.

343044[/snapback]

I do not dismiss your ideas. The thing is, when you look at the numbers that Willis put up in 04, tell yourself that this pretty much started on 10/31 vs. the Cards when MM removed Travis (thankfully) from the lineup.

Now, imagine how much money Willis could demand with a full season under his belt!

A renegotiation IS possible before this season. I just think it would be to WM's advantage to wait a year.

What do you think?

I don't see him sitting out THIS year. His numbers weren't all that great last year, but show a lot of promise. And Rosensleaze's clients that are sitting out are either new clients he lured with the promise of a new contract, or old clients who had career years. I guess last year could be considered a "career year" for Willis, but I'm sure he has his heights set higher.

343027[/snapback]

Locking up McGahee would be the optimal move for the Bills at this juncture, holding onto Henry until we have him signed to a new deal is the point Clayton alluded to.

Rosenhaus:  Let me put it this way, once you see what Willis McGahee play, you will agree with me that the Buffalo Bills should be sued for "theft of services".  They are getting a great deal.

343044[/snapback]

Bills ought to sue for "theft of services" since they paid him an entire year to not perform.

I do not think he will survive playing all year playing every game. He came knicked up and got knicked again.

I don't see him sitting out THIS year.  His numbers weren't all that great last year, but show a lot of promise.  And Rosensleaze's clients that are sitting out are either new clients he lured with the promise of a new contract, or old clients who had career years.  I guess last year could be considered a "career year" for Willis, but I'm sure he has his heights set higher.

343051[/snapback]

Actually, averaging a 100 yards a game is not too shabby. I understand that he could have a much better year this year, but we are talking about a relatively short career here. Willis is going into his third NFL season. Rosenhaus seems to have the attitude of "get all you can, now!" Just think, the Bills get rid of Travis, and suddenly our only depth is Rashard Lee, Shaud Williams and Lionel Gates. Lee and Williams have some talent, but are they strong enough to carry the power running game that Bills brass seems to be envisioning for JP's first year behind center. Make no mistake, as much as they are talking up JP, this offense is very likely going to revolve heavily upon McGahee. He would sort of have the Bills by the proverbial short and curlies if he and his agent choose to go that way. TD is pretty shrewd. You can bet, he always has next year in his peripheral vision....

Bills ought to sue for "theft of services" since they paid him an entire year to not perform.

I do not think he will survive playing all year playing every game.  He came knicked up and got knicked again.

343057[/snapback]

I hope that you are wrong Glenn. IF, yes IF he can stay healthy, I am thinking that he has the potential to be an all-time great. If you haven't noticed, I do not toss out many compliments of this magnitude.

It is great that you are posting again. :w00t:

Locking up McGahee would be the optimal move for the Bills at this juncture, holding onto Henry until we have him signed to a new deal is the point Clayton alluded to.

343056[/snapback]

And I just don't see any of it happening. McGahee doesn't have any incentive to sign a long term deal now. And Henry just wants the hell out. He's gone after this year no matter what, so the ONLY thing he's an insurance policy against is a McGahee hold out and I don't see that happening.

I'll personally break both of Drew Rosenhaus' knees with a Louisville Slugger if he tries to holdout McGahee for a bigger contract. McGahee is signed through 2007. The Bills took a big chance on Willis and let him rehab while paying him for a full season. Whatever happened to loyalty? McGahee owes the Bills at least some loyalty. I am sick and tired of these GD agents trying to make as much as they can for themselves at the expense of their players.

Why the hell do players need agents anyways? Aren't most NFL players college graduates? I think all schools should make players take a mandatory course on contracts and contract negotiations. Do away with agents alltogether. How hard can it be that a player has to have an agent negotiate his contract and give the agent 10% of his earnings?

Willis: I want 5 years, $35 million with a $14 million signing bonus.

TD: You mean I don't have to deal with that A-Hole agent of yours? Done deal.

That's what I thought, either 5 or 7.

That's still 3 years.  There's plenty of time for McGahee and the Bills to sign an extension and if they don't, there's a whole new RB market.

It'd be nice to get the extension now, but far from necessary.

343022[/snapback]

If i were rosenhaus, I would wait until Henry was shipped outta town to start stirring the pot. Most likely his strategy... Mark my words if Mcgahee puts up another 1000+ yard season this year, he WILL be a hold out next year...