Are there any other cities nicknamed Queen City you know of?

Another Fan

Went I went Cincinnati for the 1st time I became aware the city is nicknamed the Queen City.  So similar to Buffalo in that regard.  I'm not sure the history of the reasoning but there you have it.  Playoff battle of the Queen cities.

Kind of makes wonder how common that nickname is for cities.

Near where I used to live and where I drove through work everyday for a while..... Plainfield, New Jersey has that nickname as well.  And the city has a Bills tie in....  Donald Jones is from there and went to high school there.  I think he actually still lives there.  

I'm sure I can google this or whatever but thought this might be an interesting thread.  

Edited by Another Fan

• Another Fan changed the title to Are there any other cities nicknamed Queen City you know of?
8 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Went I went Cincinnati for the 1st time I became aware the city is nicknamed the Queen City.  So similar to Buffalo in that regard.  I'm not sure the history of the reasoning but there you have it.  Playoff battle of the Queen cities.

Kind of makes wonder how common that nickname is for cities.

Near where I used to live and where I drove through work everyday for a while..... Plainfield, New Jersey has that nickname as well.  And the city has a Bills tie in....  Donald Jones is from there and went to high school there.  I think he actually still lives there.  

I'm sure I can google this or whatever but thought this might be an interesting thread.  

The queen city is a nickname given to the second largest city in any state usually 

New York City is the Largest city in New York

Buffalo the queen city… Is the second

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

The queen city is a nickname given to the second largest city in any state

Cinci though is the 3rd biggest in Ohio.  Plenty other cities bigger than Plainfield in Jersey 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The queen city is a nickname given to the second largest city in any state

New York City is the king city

Buffalo the queen city

Okay... But Cincy is old. Settled after The Revolution by Revolutionary War Vets...I read it got its nickname in 1820s... That's before Cleveland and Columbus got big...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 1/18/2023 at 6:40 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Cincy is "Queen City of The West" circa around 1820.

BFLo is "Queen City of the Great Lakes" circa decades later.

Here's the list. Many in the US:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_City

I thought Toledo, Ohio was also. Not on list... Maybe that was just Klinger from: M*A*S*H... 😉 

Apparently there are 4 Queen Cities in NYS alone!

On 1/18/2023 at 6:38 PM, Buffalo716 said:

The queen city is a nickname given to the second largest city in any state usually 

Yeah but we aren't the Queen City of NY.

We are the Queen City of the Great Lakes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.