GQP: A 30 PERCENT NATIONAL SALES TAX

The national sales tax would fall between 23% and 30%. It could replace the income tax and the 6.2% employee portion of the Social Security tax. If the income tax was eliminated, the Internal Revenue Service, as well as thousands of pages of the tax code, would be obsolete ...

It would also send out “prebate” checks to soften the blow on lower income families

everyone pays sales tax now.  But only half the country pays income taxes.

and would take us back to before the 16th.  when folks were not taxed on their labor.

IRS cost 13.7 B a year to run.  

interesting to see how the CBO scores this.

This would make us the Cayman Islands.   wonder if it would pull global investments like they do.

Same with corporate rates, this would put us below much of the world

Edited by Chris farley
  • Like (+1) 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^ explain why Pelosi traded child tax credits for salt deductions^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DEMS still fighting to remove the cap on SALT. thats nuts.

And are they figured in your little formula?

Shoot, do you and others grasp its just welfare for rich landowners in DEM states paid for by everyone?  including them poor people in those red states?

Edited by Chris farley

21 hours ago, Chris farley said:

The national sales tax would fall between 23% and 30%. It could replace the income tax and the 6.2% employee portion of the Social Security tax. If the income tax was eliminated, the Internal Revenue Service, as well as thousands of pages of the tax code, would be obsolete ...

It would also send out “prebate” checks to soften the blow on lower income families

everyone pays sales tax now.  But only half the country pays income taxes.

and would take us back to before the 16th.  when folks were not taxed on their labor.

IRS cost 13.7 B a year to run.  

interesting to see how the CBO scores this.

This would make us the Cayman Islands.   wonder if it would pull global investments like they do.

Same with corporate rates, this would put us below much of the world

So who collects the tax? Another burden on businesses? And  the chance to cheat? Wow! 

Canada will laugh all the way to the bank, imagine how much cheaper goods will be? A 30% discount just driving over the bridge? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

No, red states leach off of the productive states. The rural

areas of this country are really poor, in many instances. 

Less people means less poor in rural areas. The urban cities have miles and miles of nothingness and despair the rural folks don’t have. 
In the country you can at least raise your own food. Not in the urban areas. Everyone is literally on top of one another. Besides, the soil in the city are usually loaded with chemicals and who knows what else has been dumped there.

1 minute ago, Westside said:

Less people means less poor in rural areas. The urban cities have miles and miles of nothingness and despair the rural folks don’t have. 
In the country you can at least raise your own food. Not in the urban areas. Everyone is literally on top of one another. Besides, the soil in the city are usually loaded with chemicals and who knows what else has been dumped there.

Rural areas are just not doing well. 

58 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

So who collects the tax? Another burden on businesses? And  the chance to cheat? Wow! 

Canada will laugh all the way to the bank, imagine how much cheaper goods will be? A 30% discount just driving over the bridge? 

Surely these upstanding citizens would be declaring it as they come back into the US 😂 

https://www.semafor.com/article/01/18/2023/republicans-worry-a-national-sales-tax-bill-would-be-a-political-gift-for-democrats.  I'm gonna leave this here again cuz it's profound and hilarious at the same time:  Grover Norquist guiding the R's to the "left".🙃

I'm wondering if any simpleton has done an analysis on how much more in tax the average MAGA will pay.

22 hours ago, BillStime said:

A

30%

National 

Sales 

Tax

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Neither of you have the slightest clue on economics and especially what is in this bill. The fact that you think the 30% tax would just be added on the end product without a sizable drop in the initial cost screams people who have never worked a real job. As for "who collects the tax" businesses already collect state and local taxes in almost the entire country and the vast majority have some kind of federal liability, so the process would change slightly not be new. If it passes the IRS would only hound businesses not individuals making the IRS a much more useful tool. This will never pass because Biden needs to be sure he keeps allowing guys like Trump to claim millions in tax losses to avoid paying any taxes while living at MaraLargo.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

https://www.semafor.com/article/01/18/2023/republicans-worry-a-national-sales-tax-bill-would-be-a-political-gift-for-democrats.  I'm gonna leave this here again cuz it's profound and hilarious at the same time:  Grover Norquist guiding the R's to the "left".🙃

I'm wondering if any simpleton has done an analysis on how much more in tax the average MAGA will pay.

Put your money where your mouth is and do the work yourself to figure it out.

Oh, you were being facetious. Carry on comrade.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Westside said:

Put your money where your mouth is and do the work yourself to figure it out.

Oh, you were being facetious. Carry on comrade.

back of the envelope, ghengis.  It's not difficult.  Use the income demographics from last prez election X the proposed .30 consumption tax=economic suicide for MAGA.  One can only hope the traitors have more "good" ideas...

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

Well, there’s more people overall. The trailer parks are full of rural poor, and they are everywhere 

Trailer parks are just a little blip compared to the generations of poor people living in the blue cities. 

Outside of the occasional trailer parks and the mountain people of the Appalachians. These poor rural areas you speak of don’t really exist. Unlike any democratic run cities with the miles and miles of ghettos that house generations of welfare recipients.

1 minute ago, redtail hawk said:

back of the envelope, ghengis.  It's not difficult.  Use the income demographics from last prez election X the proposed .30 consumption tax=economic suicide for MAGA.  One can only hope the traitors have more "good" ideas...

The “traitors” have been voted out. The America hating left is no longer in charge of the house.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Westside said:

Trailer parks are just a little blip compared to the generations of poor people living in the blue cities. 

Outside of the occasional trailer parks and the mountain people of the Appalachians. These poor rural areas you speak of don’t really exist. Unlike any democratic run cities with the miles and miles of ghettos that house generations of welfare recipients.

The “traitors” have been voted out. The America hating left is no longer in charge of the house.

you did see the life expectancy in the south vs the rest of the country right (evolution in real time?)?  Look at the average incomes in those states.  I won't do your homework either but average incomes for all states are tabulated and available.  Here's a hint:  Red rural states aren't faring well.  And race is only a minor factor.

the traitors have a tiny, fragile majority in the house.  The tax issue illustrates it as many R's there don't even want to bring it to a vote.  Meanwhile, the patriots on the other side are becoming more united as they are in the Senate and White House.  But nice try, I guess.

Edited by redtail hawk
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2023 at 11:02 AM, redtail hawk said:

you did see the life expectancy in the south vs the rest of the country right (evolution in real time?)?  Look at the average incomes in those states.  I won't do your homework either but average incomes for all states are tabulated and available.  Here's a hint:  Red rural states aren't faring well.  And race is only a minor factor.

the traitors have a tiny, fragile majority in the house.  The tax issue illustrates it as many R's there don't even want to bring it to a vote.  Meanwhile, the patriots on the other side are becoming more united as they are in the Senate and White House.  But nice try, I guess.

low socio-economic areas have high rates of crime and lower life expectancy.  

Both trailer parks/poor rural and the Bad parts of every city are fine examples of this.

6 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Welp. people that dont have to deal with things like paying taxes or income taxes are probably very upset at any lies about having to start paying taxes.

people were not taxed on their labor till 1914.  was all consumption and tariffs for federal revenue before that. 

and even then it was sold as 1% and only for the rich.

• Like (+1) 1

Inflation is raging. The Fed has continued to print dollars at an alarming rate. Salaries have not caught up to inflated prices.

M1.jpg

So they want us to pay 30% on inflated prices instead of being taxed on our incomes, which are relatively deflated as more dollars are printed. As per usual, the 99% get screwed while the 1% presumably find ways around paying the new 30% sales tax? Call me a cynic,, but I feel like the average American is yet again taking it up the arse here. Thanks, old rich white guys!

What am I missing here?

Just now, Gene Frenkle said:

Inflation is raging. The Fed has continued to print dollars at an alarming rate. Salaries have not caught up to inflated prices.

M1.jpg

So they want us to pay 30% on inflated prices instead of being taxed on our incomes, which are relatively deflated as more dollars are printed. As per usual, the 99% get screwed while the 1% presumably find ways around paying the new 30% sales tax? Call me a cynic,, but I feel like the average American is yet again taking it up the arse here. Thanks, old rich white guys!

What am I missing here?

Here’s what you’re missing: If you make a major change in the taxation system, you’re also going to see other major changes at the same time, and/or over the following few years. It’s foolish fear mongering to think that everything else in the American economic system would remain the same.

Again, I do not support a national sales tax. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Here’s what you’re missing: If you make a major change in the taxation system, you’re also going to see other major changes at the same time, and/or over the following few years. It’s foolish fear mongering to think that everything else in the American economic system would remain the same.

Again, I do not support a national sales tax. 

Yeah, I'd like to see those "other things" before considering this. Sounds more like "I'm sure they'll do other things to make it more eqitable", which judging by our current inequitable situation, is not something I will assume. Forgive my skepticism.

Just now, Gene Frenkle said:

Yeah, I'd like to see those "other things" before considering this. Sounds more like "I'm sure they'll do other things to make it more eqitable", which judging by our current inequitable situation, is not something I will assume. Forgive my skepticism.

Your skepticism is well warranted Gene. But this sort of a change is so big you’d be a fool to think it could ever be enacted without other connected changes to pay scales, the tax code, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/18/2023 at 11:35 AM, BillStime said:

No way the cult make red states self sufficient and less reliant on Lady Liberty’s big fat nip. 

Well maybe not but i do know that people have been fleeing NY, CA, OR, & other libs states to come to Tenn.

Along with a ton of big business because the state is in a lot better place fiscally & morally than those & others i mentioned thanks to the leadership voted into office here !! Thank you Gov. Lee !!  

I just hope those moving here realize what made the states they are leaving the way they are & change their voting to stay with what has made the state of Tenn. a destination in more ways than 1 .

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Your skepticism is well warranted Gene. But this sort of a change is so big you’d be a fool to think it could ever be enacted without other connected changes to pay scales, the tax code, etc. 

I don't trust any of them to do what's best for the rest of us.

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

Who are the ‘them’ and the ‘us’?

By the way, you do realize the same untrustworthy ‘thems’ are running things now, right? 😉

Are you a billionaire who hangs out on a BB political mb every day? There are the wealthy and the poor. If you don't know which you are, it is the latter.

Another in a long line of unpopular GOP policies designed at helping the rich at the expense of the rest of us. 

This is also why they spend all their time talking about culture war issues to get people mad and rile up their base: GOP policies are generally deeply unpopular with the average Americans so they want people voting based on anger and fear, not policies. 

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, T master said:

Well maybe not but i do know that people have been fleeing NY, CA, OR, & other libs states to come to Tenn.

Along with a ton of big business because the state is in a lot better place fiscally & morally than those & others i mentioned thanks to the leadership voted into office here !! Thank you Gov. Lee !!  

I just hope those moving here realize what made the states they are leaving the way they are & change their voting to stay with what has made the state of Tenn. a destination in more ways than 1 .

You lost me at MORALLY