Buffalo Bills PR with its own little fumble - two PS releases and signings

Beck Water

Oh - we released a defender and a WR, and signed 2 WR?

For a while, I thought maybe we signed a REAL "big body" WR

Broughton was on the Bills practice squad  earlier

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/bills-add-defensive-tackle-broughton-wide-receiver-patmon-to-practice-squad/article_90476666-9699-11ed-958a-0370b067623a.html

Broughton was signed to the Bills practice squad on Dec. 6 and he was released Saturday before being re-signed. He spent two weeks earlier in the season with Kansas City. 

Patmon, who is listed at 6-4, was a sixth-round pick of the Indianapolis Colts in 2020 out of Washington State and played in eight games last season. He has six career receptions for 69 yards and one touchdown, including two receptions for 24 yards in one game this season.

He was waived by the Colts in early October and then signed to the practice squad after clearing waivers. He has been waived and signed back to the practice squad a number of times this season.

Cortez Broughton draft profile. 2019 7th round pick of the Chargers.  Spent a couple years with the Chargers, waived in 2021.  Signed to the Chiefs practice squad in 2021.  Waived by them after he failed a physical at the start of training camp, signed to their PS in Sept, cut in Oct.  We brought him in to our PS Dec 6th then cut him Jan 14th.  Slow down, Beane, I can't Keep Up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortez_Broughton

Sounds like he's seen as having potential, but is fighting some kind of injury or lifestyle problem.

Dezmon Patton draft profile.   4.48 40-time, 6'4" with a 36" vertical and 10 1/4" hands.  2020 6th round pick of the Colts, spent 2020 on IR, bounced between PS and roster.

Big pass-catcher with intriguing size but lacking the assertiveness to impose his will. Patmon suffers from an overall lack of suddenness to uncover on both the first and second levels and issues with focus drops is an additional concern since he'll see plenty of contested catches. He has decent buildup speed, body control and ball skills to compete for 50/50 balls, but he doesn't always play with "my-ball" attitude. He's big but limited and must play with better confidence and toughness to carve out a roster spot.

Interesting to me that we're moving on from Tanner Gentry at this point.  I guess if we need to bring up a 2nd PS WR, Beane and Dorsey have decided it won't be Gentry.  I've often wondered if he had a role as a trusted confidant/steadying influence on Josh, and maybe at this point Beasley is filling that role.

Edited by Beck Water

• Beck Water changed the title to Buffalo Bills PR with its own little fumble - two PS releases and signings

I looked up Broughton before I saw "correction" and thought, "now that's one heavy receiver."  Patton certainly has some nice physical traits.  Looking at his college draft report, it seems that at least some of his deficiencies could be coached out of him if he's got the right attitude. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

interesting on Pittman.   according to what I'm watching, says that he was the colts second round pick 34. only dropped five passes in college. 

follow up on this   (the Indianapolis Colts select University of Southern California wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. with the No. 34 overall pick in Round 2 of the 2020 NFL Draft.)

It is Dezman Patmon not Michael Pittman that the Bills picked up

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Any chance they just want some PS guys to replicate Higgins and Boyd in practice this week?

Well a 298 lb player running a 4.98 40 isn't a very good representation of Boyd if that was their plan.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Well a 298 lb player running a 4.98 40 isn't a very good representation of Boyd if that was their plan.

If a young sub 5 40’s from 300lb. recent playing Dl guy is legit, he’s worth a look, imo.

Not that this is the case, but leave no stone unturned is the way of finding NFL talent.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

ok I'll go crawl back under my rock now!   dammit.....  that probably came up and i got mixed up/side tracked

It happens .. at least you didn’t create the infamous the Bills have been historically healthy post at the start of the year right before a tidal wave of injuries like I did .. the response was brutal.

I liked Broughton as a mid rounder in that draft. Undersized penetrator at DT. He doesn't have the explosion of an Ed Oliver but it is pretty good and he plays with good leverage. Remember being surprised he lasted to the 7th.

EDIT: in fact he made my sleepers list in 2019. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

Broughton is the sort of guy I could envisage being the "cheap" 4th defensive tackle next year. They can't keep having 4 well paid guys in the rotation. Eventually they have to get good production at a cheaper price and he has some skills. I imagine Phillips is not back.... Broughton could be your pound shop Ed Oliver, keep Jones and Settle as your 1Ts.

13 hours ago, SCBills said:

Any chance they just want some PS guys to replicate Higgins and Boyd in practice this week?

I hadn't thought about it, but it's a significant point that the Bills don't have anyone near to the size and speed of Tee Higgins on their practice squad, so yeah, that's an immediate need that Gentry can't fill.

You may be onto something as far as Higgins.  But the other guy is a DT so.

The other thing about Patmon is that in principle, he could be a faster Isaiah Hodgins type we could develop.  He spent his rookie year on IR, so this past season was his first practices.

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.