We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

1 minute ago, Caesar said:

You had brought up your ideas to beat the Bengals and I responded. Thought you may have more to add.

I am concerned about pressure vs our replacement oline.  But Miami had a beat up oline as well how was the pressure vs them?

For all the complaining from Bills fans about the D line they did put a lot of pressure on the Miami QB.  The Dolphins also threw a lot of quick short passes in response to their banged up line.  And with Waddle & Hill able to take a 5 yard pass to the house from anywhere on the field this type of game plan was dangerous.  And while he was banged up the Dolphins stud left tackle did play.

Much like the Bengals/Raven game the Bills/Dolphins game was weird.  Miami had only one decent TD drive and one decent FG drive. The rest of their points came via special team plays and turnovers.  Miami only had about 220 yards of total offense. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Actually, the Bills utterly dominated their o-line. The Dolphins averaged a measly 3.3 yards per play and gave up four sacks along with a large number of pressures.

People expected like 10 sacks and 50 pressures  because of the backup oline. This is a classic case of fan perception/hopes vs. reality. We got pressure against the Dolphins and dominated their line in the run game (2.1 YPA rush is a great mark for the D line). A major reason we didnt get even more sacks and pressures is because the dline was focused on run stopping first and not pinning their ears back to get after the QB (game plan specific). We will see a different plan from the D-line this week I can gaurantee. 

Just now, PaattMaann said:

People expected like 10 sacks and 50 pressures  because of the backup oline. This is a classic case of fan perception/hopes vs. reality. We got pressure against the Dolphins and dominated their line in the run game (2.1 YPA rush is a great mark for the D line). A major reason we didnt get even more sacks and pressures is because the dline was focused on run stopping first and not pinning their ears back to get after the QB (game plan specific). We will see a different plan from the D-line this week I can gaurantee. 

The Bills defense dominated them, but because of the score too many are kinda blind to this.

• Like (+1) 3

Wow, I think many of us would enjoy that problem, for a little while anyway.

We haven’t played very well in a month, other than the shortened MNF game we have not been dynamic.

We struggled running the ball before the injuries.  I’m concerned it will take a combination of hero play by Joe and mistakes by the Bills to win this game.

To me, I think it's going to be a close game that will end up coming down to one or two big plays be either team to win the game. Like a RZ turnover or a ST blunder, etc...

One other thing I am curious is the large split on defensive DVOA for the Bengals in home vs road games.  They are 2nd at home and 27th on the road.  Is this something noticeable?  Like does the eye test bear out they play better at home than on the road on D? Just curious as to what you think  might be behind the difference...could it simply be they played better teams on the road than at home this year, or is there something more to it?

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

You definitely should! Granted, this take is coming from like 25 years ago, so a lot could have changed by now, hahaha

Thank you for the good advice, and Turk, my comments from earlier stand...and they are getting worse.

...Dude, I honest to goodness can't even think at my desk right now.  All I want.  All I want in the world is pasta on an oval plate with cheese piled 7 inches high on one side of my desk, and a rack of shiny ribs on the other. 

Saints preserve I'm losing it!!

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

For all the complaining from Bills fans about the D line they did put a lot of pressure on the Miami QB.  The Dolphins also threw a lot of quick short passes in response to their banged up line.  And with Waddle & Hill able to take a 5 yard pass to the house from anywhere on the field this type of game plan was dangerous.  And while he was banged up the Dolphins stud left tackle did play.

Much like the Bengals/Raven game the Bills/Dolphins game was weird.  Miami had only one decent TD drive and one decent FG drive. The rest of their points came via special team plays and turnovers.  Miami only had about 220 yards of total offense. 

Miami averaged less than 4 yards per passing play. That's pathetic.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Actually, the Bills utterly dominated their o-line. The Dolphins averaged a measly 3.3 yards per play and gave up four sacks along with a large number of pressures.

I knew the average per play was way low.  We have some on our site touting a 3rd string QB put up so many points on the Bills.  I copied a post from here showing the incredible field position Miami was gifted.

I saw the 4 sacks but that doesn’t say if the pressure was constant. I only watched the last half of the 4th.

Do the Bills have more pressure from the ends with Rousseau or middle with Oliver?

6 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

The win over Mahomes was in October, months ago, clearly this is a very different bills team since then

Cincy has been playing very well the last month, month in a half, they beat Mahomes too and not sure why you brought up the Tampa game, yeah they trailed for a little bit but they steamrolled them in the second half!

They trailed 17-3 at the half. The comparison is that you think you know what would have happened when this occurred:

7-3 Cincinatti on the Bills 48 yard line with 8:00 minutes left in the 1st quarter.

Cin - TD

Bills - FG

Cin - Driving

But then wouldn't the Bucs have won when this happened with 0 minutes left in the half?

17-3 Bucs get the ball back after the half

Cin - INT

TB - FG

Cin - Punt

TB - TD

Cin - Punt

TB - Missed FG

Cin - Punt

TB - TD

Cin - FG

Edited by What a Tuel

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Bills defense dominated them, but because of the score too many are kinda blind to this.

I think I did say that didnt I? If not that was kind of my point. We did dominate them but fans wanted even more eye popping numbers. Kind of like the number of sacks the dolphins got against Josh : ) haha

and the eye popping numbers didn't happen because that wasnt our dline gameplan, it WILL be to get after the QB on Sunday

Edited by PaattMaann
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Kay Showing Tre some love.

7-0 since his return 

Bills D w/5th lowest passer rating

And 13-0 with All-Pro Po on the field for us this year. Hoping these streaks continue. :thumbsup:

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Caesar said:

I knew the average per play was way low.  We have some on our site touting a 3rd string QB put up so many points on the Bills.  I copied a post from here showing the incredible field position Miami was gifted.

I saw the 4 sacks but that doesn’t say if the pressure was constant. I only watched the last half of the 4th.

Do the Bills have more pressure from the ends with Rousseau or middle with Oliver?

They blitzed a LOT -- more than they ever would against Burrow -- so it came from everywhere. In that sense, it's not an indicative game for you as a Bengals fan. Miami simply couldn't take advantage of the blitzing because the quarterback is bad. 

7 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

The win over Mahomes was in October, months ago, clearly this is a very different bills team since then

Cincy has been playing very well the last month, month in a half, they beat Mahomes too and not sure why you brought up the Tampa game, yeah they trailed for a little bit but they steamrolled them in the second half!

Yes it is my opinion they would've won the monday night game, they probably feel the same. They were playing fantastic football for a month, drove easily right down the field for an easy touchdown and were driving again before the very sad unfortunate injury to Hamlin

They lucked out in that NE game big time.

No doubt the Pats score there if Stevenson doesn't fumble 

• Like (+1) 1

From eyeball test I think both have been equally underwhelming applying pressure. Really the whole defensive line  after we lost Miller. Hoping we rush 3 a good amount this week. 

3 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I can see lots of twists and crazy looks at the line of scrimmage to confuse our linemen.

* I have a post limit so if I stop responding it is due to this.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

From eyeball test I think both have been equally underwhelming applying pressure. Really the whole defensive line  after we lost Miller. Hoping we rush 3 a good amount this week. 

The loss of Miller has been huge. The drop-off in visible pressure has been really noticeable. It felt like during the Browns game that Miller was on the verge of sacking Brisset virtually every passing play. They don't have that guy now.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

Yes it is my opinion they would've won the monday night game, they probably feel the same. They were playing fantastic football for a month, drove easily right down the field for an easy touchdown and were driving again before the very sad unfortunate injury to Hamlin

I watched the entire Cincy/Tampa game and the Bucs were blowing the Bengal's off the field for almost the entire FIRST HALF.  They led 17 - 3 at half and had outplayed the Bengals in every way.  Then in the 3rd quarter things got really weird.  On their first possession TB tried a fake punt on 4th and 1 from their own 30 yard line.  It might have worked but the guy who was supposed to get the direct snap missed the call and wasn't aware that a fake was on.  So the Bengals got the ball at the Bucs 25 yard line and kicked a FG.  After that debacle TB tuned the ball over on FOUR straight possessions!  Four straight!

And I can't believe you think the Bengal's played well against NE and in their last 2 games against Baltimore. I talk to a lot of Bengal fans and none of them thought the Bengals played well in those games.  In fact they were a lot like Bills fans - glad they won but uneasy on how they won.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Thompson has some mobility...he made some nice plays to move around and get out of pressure...a lot of times it led to off target throws, but it could have been a lot worse if he stayed in the pocket.

The Bills are probably the best team in the NFL at getting "almost sacks" but allowing the QB to make a play still.  Like, they are all around the QB, getting hands on them, diving and missing, getting shrugged off while trying to make the tackle, etc and then the QB either gets out of the pocket and runs or makes a play throwing the ball...goes back years now.  I've never seen anything quite like it  and watching other games pretty frequently, it seems to be a problem that happens far more often to the Bills than other teams.

I don't know why it happens so much, but it does. You'll be watching the play and be like "how did the QB escape from that"?? Bills turn more sure fire sacks into positive plays for the opposition than I've ever seen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

They lucked out in that NE game big time.

No doubt the Pats score there if Stevenson doesn't fumble 

I don't know about that ... they would have had second and goal from the 4 or 5 yard line if the refs had properly called forward progress stopped, but lots of teams fail to punch it in from there.

1 minute ago, SUNY_amherst said:

didn't dominate the line. Bills stopped the Miami running game because they were able to stack the box.

They were able to stack the box because the QB was a practice squad level talent. This week it is Joe Burrow

I thought they dominated the los overall.  They didn't necessarily stack the box anymore than usual.  Hill/Waddle were still out there.

They've been putting 6 guys at the los all year, they usually still just rush 4. 

The pressure directly contributed to 1 pick and 2 other near picks