100 greatest films all time according to Time

Pete

Yeah, I agree with you...though one can kinda/sorta excuse their thinking here if what they were trying to do was put some films by "new auteurs" on the list (instead of lists packed with the same old Kurosawa, Godard, Renoir, Bergman, Hitchcock, etc films).  I guess Pedro Almodovar qualifies as such, though I'm not a big fan of his body of work.  The inclusion of The Fly goes along with this line of thinking as Cronenberg is one of the better thought of filmmakers working today.

Of course the glarying ommission of any Abbas Kiarostami films might disprove this theory as there are quite a few academics that consider him the greatest filmmaker working today.

Also, a closer look at this list reveals that there are no Hitchcock films on the list.  I don't think I've ever seen a list of this sort  that doesn't include at least one Hitch film...usually Vertigo.

343785[/snapback]

Wow, your post was almost like an education in film lol. Can you give me some examples of kiarostami's work? I don't recognize him by name, but if his reputation is such then I'd certainly like to sample his stuff.

I guess the list is good in the sense that it does stimulate discussion and throws some new wrinkles into the mix. Hopefully it also inspires some to recognize the fact that a large advertising budget does not neccesarily equate to a good film. I love the big budget popcorn flicks as much as anyone else. But there is so much good stuff out there that the majority of folks never even hear about. For some reason, one example off the top of my head is 'Amelie'. How many people would be interested if you told them it was a low budget French film with subtitles? Yet to me (and apparently lots of critics) this was a very enjoyable, unique film. I loved it. I'm sure you could list more of these examples than I could, but the point is that I think it's a shame that some folks only ever experience the blockbusters and not much else.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, your post was almost like an education in film lol. Can you give me some examples of kiarostami's work? I don't recognize him by name, but if his reputation is such then I'd certainly like to sample his stuff.

343889[/snapback]

Kiarostami is an Iranian filmaker and has been around for quite awhile but he just started getting recognition in the western hemosphere in the past decade. The film that Kiarostami is most known for is probably A Taste of Cherry, though he's had quite a few other fantastic films in the past 10 or so years such as Ten, The Wind Will Carry Us, Through the Olive Trees and As Life Goes On. He's also a talented writer and unlike most other filmmakers out there actually writes for directors other than himself (Last year's Crimson Gold being a great example of this).

Anyway, yeah you're right, there are tons of films out there that most people in America has never heard of that are excellent films...mostly because the distributers of films in this country think that there is no market for them and because they think this (big surprise) they've created no market for them. There are a handful of places in the country you can live and be able to check out foreign and small budget films that get limited releases...thankfully I live in such a place (NYC).

"West Side Story" remains one of the finest films ever made, and was so far ahead of its time, may of it's principles still apply today. Should be on the list.

There was nothing in "Finding Nemo" that wasn't done exponentially better in either "The Lion King" or, better still, "The Little Mermaid."

But at the end of the day, the biggest mistake was leaving off a movie which clearly set the standard for preserving forever the truth about America: "You Got Served."

I actually wrote a paper on it....comparing and contrasting D-Fens with Travis Bickle from Taxi Driver. Quite possibly my best scholarly work ever. LOL

343598[/snapback]

Could you bring it to the opener and read it to us at Danny's? <_<:(

Not true -- Lucas had the entire story (including the prequels) pretty much already written and/or conceptualized by the time Star Wars was filmed.  He knew that in order to do the entire story justice he'd have to do it in installments -- but what he DIDN'T know was whether there would be a market for the rest of the story.  I mean, if SW had bombed in 1977, it WOULD have been a standalone.  Happily for geeks and nerds everywhere, it didn't bomb.  :(

342549[/snapback]

Yes, Star Wars (the concept) was broader in scope in Lucas's mind than one movie, but at the time he only had two films released (correct me if I am wrong). The low budget SF film, THX 1138 was a bomb at the box office and the delightfully nostalgic American Graffiti was a success but it was NOT SF.

There was no assurance that a science fiction movie could even make it "big" at the time it was released. So it was written to stand on its own as a complete story. He had the desire but not the intention of doing 5 more films.

LOTR was the only three installment story on the list that was intentionally released in three installments.

Tell me a person could go into ROTS and have any clue as to who all these people were! <_<

I'm late to this thread, but since I just happened to produce a lengthier top 10 films list for a cousin who asked I am able to merely copy my usual too lengthy post to this thread,

She and I had lost touch for a number of years and it was interesting how I got to know a bit about her and also share things about myself by talking about the films we like.

My list of top 10 (+) is:

Bladerunner- One of my favorites films. I loved the Rutger Hauer speech at the end. Also interesting to me because it was directed by James Cameron and he his wife (at the time) and mother and my wife and I had dinner together one night about 4 years before his Titanic fame. I actually went back to the theatre and saw the Director's cut of this film which was most notable because it was absent some explanatory voiceover by Harrison Ford the studio forced him to add to explain this semi-complex film. I actually liked it better with the voiceover which gave some good philosophical insights

It's a Mad Mad etc World- runner up- This was a film I actually may have laughed harder at than Airplane the first time I saw it (I think I laughed so hard I cried actually) but it ended up as a runner-up for me because my first viewing was as a kid and when I later saw it as an adult it did not wear as well with me as Airplane or other films.

Life of Brian- runner up- I also laughed a lot at this one but I think it might have been the odd company I saw it with (two college buddies who rarely interacted with each other but only through me). At one point we all laughed so hard we literally fell out of our seats and when we finally came up we had switched seats. It is a runner up because I think there are actually funnier and wittier Monty Python works but the grouping made this one a special film for me.

The Great Escape- This is the beginning of a series of WWII films which I can watch time and time again. It interested me to think of what they all have in common which is WWII and they are all multiple big star ensemble vehicles.

Kelly's Heroes- A fake story rather than a historical rendition like the other two, but the same notable ensemble cast. I particularly liked the character freedom that this scripted piece gave them since some of the characters are so over the top they are a real hoot, but the tragedy of death and war are constant companions with the laughs so these films are very full for me.

The Longest Day- Another WWII ensemble and the scope of this one is so large and there are so many storylines on D-Day this film is very full. The humor is all the ironies of war. I am curious what the military mind makes of war films.

Duel- There was some discussion on our part whether the list should include made for TV movies. I insisted they were films so this was legit. A lot of this for me comes from the movie Duel which really held me on the end of my seat. Interestingly you never see the villain in this film except for his cowboy boots at one point. The semi he drives which duels on western backroads with salesman Dennis Weaver in his early 70s Pontiac sedan is really a force of nature and it was a good choice to never show the driver.

Das Boat- I saw this during a time period where movie theatres were headed toward the cineplex multiple screen model amid urban theatres which not yet figured out how to parrot the suburban multiple screen new builds were shoe-horning in postage size screens in subdivided urban theatres. These small screens were fairly annoying for getting the big screen experience which makes movies better than TV, but I found it actually an effective way to share the claustrophobia of men on a submarine getting shelled. This is one of a couple of films I saw and enjoyed in their original language with subtitles.

The Woman Next Door- Another subtitled film which given it was in French and about a torrid affair was great. I saw this one with a woman who I always referred to as the goddess since I found her to be one of the most continental bombshell women I've known. It was interesting for me because I never seriously considered as relationship material in any way as I think with her beauty, athleticism (number 3 on the PR women's squash team), and intellect (a Phi Beta Kappa comp lit major) and I think she could sense this and I hung with her for her company. It amused me that he boyfriend just couldn't seem to get it why she and I would do things together she wouldn't opt to with him. I think it was because she liked him for one world and presentation which did not involve the slumming but also esoteric adventures she and I would do. She and I saw this film together in NYC and I think it embodied two people attracted to each other even though they should not have acted on it all as the results were ultimately fatal. She and I never acted upon any attraction but perhaps this was for the best.

The Razor's Edge (old version)- The version starring Gene Tierney is far superior to the modern version starring Bill Murray. I liked it so much it got me to get the original book by Somerset Maugham and I would say this was one of the few films I actually enjoyed more than the book,

GroundHog Day- A Bill Murray film does make the list. Its rare for me to see something I find totally different from the norm and this film which repeats the same day over and over again with different occurrences to advance the plot and his growth as a person intrigued. One of the things however which made this one special for me though was my wife and I were on a weeks vacation in Toronto and I had already seen the entire film which was on Pay-Per-View repetitively in the hotel. They used to promote movies back then by letting you watch two minutes free and then it would scramble. I found I could turn it on every couple of hours and see two minuses of the movie when the sports or whatever I was watching amidst or Toronto excursions was on. The wife was padding around the suite we were in and would look to see what I was watching and about the 4th or 5th time she saw me seemingly watching the exact same scene and wondered what the heck I was doing and explained that the movie itself probably had little more than ten scenes they were just done repetitively indifferent ways. An interesting film to me.

Duel- There was some discussion on our part whether the list should include made for TV movies. I insisted they were films so this was legit. A lot of this for me comes from the movie Duel which really held me on the end of my seat. Interestingly you never see the villain in this film except for his cowboy boots at one point. The semi he drives which duels on western backroads with salesman Dennis Weaver in his early 70s Pontiac sedan is really a force of nature and it was a good choice to never show the driver.

343943[/snapback]

Fantastic movie! If they ever made a list of top TV movies, this one is top 5 no doubt!

Of course I'm biased.

But I was so thrilled when this one came out on DVD.

It's a Mad Mad etc World- runner up- This was a film I actually may have laughed harder at than Airplane the first time I saw it (I think I laughed so hard I cried actually) but it ended up as a runner-up for me because my first viewing was as a kid and when I later saw it as an adult it did not wear as well with me as Airplane or other films.

343943[/snapback]

Growing up, I was allowed to watch very limited things on TV. One of them was this movie. I regret I was too young to appreciate the humor that Spencer Tracy brought to the film. If you enjoyed the movie that much, you'll appreciate this:

For a couple of years I lived in a hellhole named San Pedro in California. Ironically, the hellhole was attached to one of the most prestigious areas in LA County: Palos Verdes. I am told that they shot the "Big W" scene in Palos Verdes, and I spent the better part of a weekend looking for the palm trees that formed the "Big W." (I can still hear Jonathon Winters: "It's the big dubbleya!") Finally, I came to learn that the four trees were tied up and formed to make the Big W. On their own, they were just four palm trees lined up next to each other.

The scenes were, however, shot in PV, and that was cool enough for me.

For what it's worth, that area was also used in the original "Lethal Weapon." There's a scene where a helicopter does a fly-by of sorts and I think Gary Busey (he had some weird name like "Mr Johnathon) shoots the guy while hanging outside the helicopter. Bullets through the milk carton come to mind.

I have seen 28 for sure.

On MY top 100:

Wizard of Oz

The Longest Day

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Labyrinth

Field of Dreams

Silverado

I could go on, but we all have our favorites....   

This is just two guys opinion. <_<

342509[/snapback]

Where the hell is Growing Pains II: Home Equity? Kirk Cameron at his BEST.

I'm late to this thread, but since I just happened to produce a lengthier top 10 films list for a cousin who asked I am able to merely copy my usual too lengthy post to this thread,

Life of Brian- runner up- I also laughed a lot at this one but I think it might have been the odd company I saw it with (two college buddies who rarely interacted with each other but only through me).  At one point we all laughed so hard we literally fell out of our seats and when we finally came up we had switched seats. It is a runner up because I think there are actually funnier and wittier Monty Python works but the grouping made this one a special film for me.

343943[/snapback]

Despite being part of my Avatar, Life of Brian is definately a runner up to The Holy Grail which I feel is the best of the Monty Films.

In terms of the list, I've seen 18. A few recent titles that I haven't seen mentioned that would add are American Beauty, Memento, The Princess Bride and Requiem for a Dream.

I guess the list is good in the sense that it does stimulate discussion and throws some new wrinkles into the mix. Hopefully it also inspires some to recognize the fact that a large advertising budget does not neccesarily equate to a good film. I love the big budget popcorn flicks as much as anyone else. But there is so much good stuff out there that the majority of folks never even hear about. For some reason, one example off the top of my head is 'Amelie'. How many people would be interested if you told them it was a low budget French film with subtitles? Yet to me (and apparently lots of critics) this was a very enjoyable, unique film. I loved it. I'm sure you could list more of these examples than I could, but the point is that I think it's a shame that some folks only ever experience the blockbusters and not much else.

343889[/snapback]

Amelie- another awesome film! I loved that one!

Amelie- another awesome film!  I loved that one!

344029[/snapback]

Yep, and if not for Netflix, I may not have ever seen or heard of it. I friggin love Netflix, man.

Bladerunner- One of my favorites films. I loved the Rutger Hauer speech at the end. Also interesting to me because it was directed by James Cameron and he his wife (at the time) and mother and my wife and I had dinner together one night about 4 years before his Titanic fame.  I actually went back to the theatre and saw the Director's cut of this film which was most notable because it was absent some explanatory voiceover by Harrison Ford the studio forced him to add to explain this semi-complex film. I actually liked it better with the voiceover which gave some good philosophical insights

Don't you mean Ridley Scott before Gladiator fame? Though he was pretty famous before that film. He directed the first Alien. Cameron directed Aliens and Terminator and T2 and True Lies. Good flicks.