Biden, A Good American President, Pilfers Classified Docs

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

Just to reiterate: whether the documents were classified or not is legally irrelevant here. The second someone is no longer president, they lose the right to possess any presidential documents, classified or not. 

That is not true, Can you give me a topic of which  we can't have access to something that is not classified.

45 minutes ago, Doc said:

So because this was "discovered and reported" (days before the election yet not a single word about it to the public and after Mar-a-Lago was raided), it's different.  Yeah, OK.

Holy cr*p--the story gets worse.  The documents apparently date from 2013-2016, deal with American interests in Iran, the UK and, get this ---Ukraine--and were first moved to the office in mid-2017 before being discovered last year.  One must wonder where they were from 2016-2022, and in fact wonder where they were during Biden's time in office?  They were found intermingled with personal papers and matters dealing with his son's death in 2015, and for quite a stretch of time when he was a private citizen and shielded somewhat  from government oversight.   

So, document dealing with top secret issues are left unattended for 6-9 years, exist without rhyme, reason and organization, and it certainly appears Biden considered them his own personal property. 

Oh, and that little part about informing the American people about the documents two months after an important election...he sure gets some lucky breaks in that regard, huh?

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JDHillFan said:

It’s ok to possess classified information for a period as long as 6 years in an unsecured manner so long as you eventually give it back. What’s so difficult to understand?

@ChiGoose says anything less than 11 years is considered 'immediately' notifying the federal government if a democrat. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

I was hoping for a schmear of contemplation and critical thinking, but I guess that's too much to ask. Republicans are so easily lead. 

Actually, what you just exhibited is a lack of leadership acumen.  If you lead correctly you would have gotten your  schmear, especially  if the subject was easy to lead as you have suggested.

1 hour ago, Orlando Tim said:

That is not true, Can you give me a topic of which  we can't have access to something that is not classified.

Under the Presidential Records Act, any presidential documents become property of the archives the moment the president’s time in office ends. This is true regardless of whether or not the documents are classified. 

So even if a regular citizen may not have any prohibitions against learning the info contained in the documents, possession of the documents themselves without agreement from the archives would be prohibited. 

29 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Under the Presidential Records Act, any presidential documents become property of the archives the moment the president’s time in office ends. This is true regardless of whether or not the documents are classified. 

So even if a regular citizen may not have any prohibitions against learning the info contained in the documents, possession of the documents themselves without agreement from the archives would be prohibited. 

So you are actually at the point of arguing that the piece of paper it is printed on is now important? Nice job of becoming even more pedantic. BTW you are arguing that Biden is certainly guilty also.

50 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

So you are actually at the point of arguing that the piece of paper it is printed on is now important? Nice job of becoming even more pedantic. BTW you are arguing that Biden is certainly guilty also.

I’m explaining what the law is. If the president scrawls notes from a meeting on the back of a BBQ takeout menu, the archives will take that menu into its possession by the end of the president’s term. 

And yes, Biden also violated the law. 

4 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I’m explaining what the law is. If the president scrawls notes from a meeting on the back of a BBQ takeout menu, the archives will take that menu into its possession by the end of the president’s term. 

And yes, Biden also violated the law. 

Ok- we do agree on what the law is but I think this more like 5 miles over the speed limit on a highway, technically illegal but not worth the attention. You can obviously disagree. 

13 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Ok- we do agree on what the law is but I think this more like 5 miles over the speed limit on a highway, technically illegal but not worth the attention. You can obviously disagree. 

Generally, I agree. This is only an issue when people are asked to return the documents and don’t, destroy them, or give them away. 

As I stated earlier, if Trump had just handed the documents over when NARA asked, it would be a nothingburger. 

Edited by ChiGoose
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Holy cr*p--the story gets worse.  The documents apparently date from 2013-2016, deal with American interests in Iran, the UK and, get this ---Ukraine--and were first moved to the office in mid-2017 before being discovered last year.  One must wonder where they were from 2016-2022, and in fact wonder where they were during Biden's time in office?  They were found intermingled with personal papers and matters dealing with his son's death in 2015, and for quite a stretch of time when he was a private citizen and shielded somewhat  from government oversight.   

So, document dealing with top secret issues are left unattended for 6-9 years, exist without rhyme, reason and organization, and it certainly appears Biden considered them his own personal property. 

Yeah, just learned they were moved twice (even once would have been bad enough).  There goes the "they just learned about them!" claim. :rolleyes:

And he wasn't even President so he couldn't declassify them.  And they held in an even less secure location than Mar-a-Lago.

4 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Oh, and that little part about informing the American people about the documents two months after an important election...he sure gets some lucky breaks in that regard, huh?

That and the fact that no one leaked the news anytime during the 6 days before the election.  What a coincidink!

There goes the last hope for a criminal conviction for Trump.  Again I told y'all he wasn't going to jail over this.  Sorry libs you (again) don't got him now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The Donald's lawyers would have flushed those documents down the toilet.

Nothing to see here folks, move along!

The Donald’s home was raided by an armed task force, kept under control of the govt for 10 hours, they seized items outside the scope of the investigation, fought judicial efforts to have an independent third party go through the material and remove items not relevant to the probe, prevailed on appeal, maintain possession of items they have no right to hold, and cited national security as the primary reason they should be allowed to self-report.  Meanwhile, confidential attorney-client correspondence is said to be in play, though the DOJ pinky swears they won’t look at anything again that  they may probably should not look at.    

All of the foregoing is completely legal, of course, and if you prefer, brought on by The Donald getting porky over what he should or shouldn’t have.  

The flip side of the argument you’re making is a career politician scoops up top secret documents apparently over a 3 year time frame, in violation of the law, whereabouts unknown from 2013-mid2017, apparently files them between his Hair Club for men treatment plan, the Macy’s credit card bill and Jill’s student loan documents, and apparently cannot account for who may/may mit have had access.  Then, they’re found prior to the election,  they fall off the radar for a couple months and stage argument is what brave and honest soldiers they are because they immediately told someone they had documents for 6 years.  

Trump made his bed, and exposed his throat to his political enemies.   You support whatever comes next, I assume.  

This isn’t about Trump.  Biden, too, made his bed, and exposed his throat to his political enemies.  He’s sloppy, as is consistent with his political career.  An independent review of his actions, especially illegal activity while a private citizen can only be undertaken by an independent special counsel.  

This is a great opportunity to rebuild some trust in our system, but I sincerely doubt that’s the game plan.  Like the 1/6 committee showed, side deals and protecting an ally is the order of the day.  

• Agree 4

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, just learned they were moved twice (even once would have been bad enough).  There goes the "they just learned about them!" claim. :rolleyes:

And he wasn't even President so he couldn't declassify them.  And they held in an even less secure location than Mar-a-Lago.

That and the fact that no one leaked the news anytime during the 6 days before the election.  What a coincidink!

There goes the last hope for a criminal conviction for Trump.  Again I told y'all he wasn't going to jail over this.  Sorry libs you (again) don't got him now.

You have more faith in them than I do.  I absolutely think they will push forward with any charge they possibly can, and not think twice about any potential issue with Biden.  They pitched the idea that 74 year old Donald Trump—one of the most recognizable people in the world—-was an agent of the Kremlin, and people bought it.  

Now, I think they don’t charge  him if he’s got intel that paints the US govt/dem leadership in a bad light, which he likely does.  That’s a trade off they could live with.