Thoughts on the pass defense?

Bermuda Triangle

5 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

They already had 7 points on the board and were easily moving the ball on the second drive.  What was going to all the sudden change to stop that?

The bears had 90 yards and a TD, and turnover on downs on their first 2 possessions.  

What was going to change?  Football stuff - penalties, drops, bad throws, things that happen over the course of a game.  Good plays, good tackles, pass break ups, tipped passes... 

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

2 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

And yesterday, 14 of those points came from special teams.  I hope you're not expecting that every game.

Right now, Cincy and KC have more consistent offenses and I also think Cincy's D is better than ours right now.  

I agree, they do. But those games will come down to shootouts. And if you are telling me the Bills don't have a shot in those shootouts I'm telling you I disagree. I'd also back our D to force a turnover or two for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

The bears had 90 yards and a TD, and turnover on downs on their first 2 possessions.  

What was going to change?  Football stuff - penalties, drops, bad throws, things that happen over the course of a game.  

Let's not use a team that has the #1 draft pick as an example of anything.  We are talking about playoff football against good teams.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I agree, they do. But those games will come down to shootouts. And if you are telling me the Bills don't have a shot in those shootouts I'm telling you I disagree. I'd also back our D to force a turnover or two for us. 

The offense was mostly dormant yesterday until later in the game. 7 offensive points in the first half.  If that continues, they will find themselves in a huge hole against teams like Cincy and KC. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Billz4ever said:

Let's not use a team that has the #1 draft pick as an example of anything.  We are talking about playoff football against good teams.

Chicago looked good in that first 10-15 plays though didn't they... then they didn't do anything.  

Also the game will be in Buffalo - Cincy is 6-3 on the road and 6-1 at home.  They have 4 road wins during their win streak - Pittsburgh (who isn't a strong team), Tennessee (who cincy matches up well with), Tampa (who can't run the ball well, and turned it over several times giving the game to the bengals), and the patriots, who the bengals didn't score on after going up 24-0. 

So they looked unstoppable for the first 5 drives then went Punt, INT, Punt, Missed FG, Fumble, Punt, end of game.  

5 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Chicago looked good in that first 10-15 plays though didn't they... then they didn't do anything.  

Also the game will be in Buffalo - Cincy is 6-3 on the road and 6-1 at home.  They have 4 road wins during their win streak - Pittsburgh (who isn't a strong team), Tennessee (who cincy matches up well with), Tampa (who can't run the ball well, and turned it over several times giving the game to the bengals), and the patriots, who the bengals didn't score on after going up 24-0. 

So they looked unstoppable for the first 5 drives then went Punt, INT, Punt, Missed FG, Fumble, Punt, end of game.  

Bengals start well. But seem to fall little bit second half in games. Bill's defense gets better in games after first quarter or before first quarter ends.  Pretty much nonsense some think they have have no chance vs team's. Bill's have to play good.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan

8 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

I don't really care how they did against other teams. I care how they match up against us and they match up against us very well.  Anyway, we need to worry about Miami first, as they played us very tough just a few weeks ago.  They are known as a passing team, but they were able to run on us.  It took some late game heroics to win as we found ourselves down going into the 4th quarter in a game many said was going to be easy since there was this assumption the Fish couldn't play in the cold.

Edited by Billz4ever

As much as we love to complain about the defense, the Bills are #2 in the NFL in points allowed after the Niners. Every one of our losses has been a single score game so it's not as if the offense hasn't had its chances.

Our scheme is purposefully built to force teams to beat us underneath. This does result in a lot of annoying 3rd and 4th down conversions.

But that was the same last year too and the year before that. 

I think the issue is that the offense hasn't been as hot so you're not seeing the Bills clip teams wings early. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

And yesterday, 14 of those points came from special teams.  I hope you're not expecting that every game.

Right now, Cincy and KC have more consistent offenses and I also think Cincy's D is better than ours right now.  

Do they?

The knock on the Bengals is the O disappears for stretches.  When it is humming it looks unstoppable but then it hits a rut - like yesterday and last week vs NE and you wonder what the heck happened.  

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Bengals start well. But seem to fall little bit second half in games. Bill's defense gets better in games after first quarter or before first quarter ends.  Pretty much nonsense some think they have have no chance vs team's. Bill's have to play good.

I don't know if that's due to them taking their foot off the gas or what, but I rather not find ourselves in a big hole in the first place to find out.

31 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

The offense was mostly dormant yesterday until later in the game. 7 offensive points in the first half.  If that continues, they will find themselves in a huge hole against teams like Cincy and KC. 

Cincy and KC don't have even nearly the Patriots defense. 

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Do they?

The knock on the Bengals is the O disappears for stretches.  When it is humming it looks unstoppable but then it hits a rut - like yesterday and last week vs NE and you wonder what the heck happened.  

If I had the choice, I can certainly say I would rather be up by several scores in a game like they were and have the defense hold the opponent rather than the offense having to try and come from behind.

39 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

We saw Cincy on defense for one drive and only we stopped ourselves with Allen/Beasley not connecting on an easy pitch and catch walk in TD.  

Without Von and Hyde, our defense is very similar to Cincy's.  Both defenses are better than the Chiefs.

30 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I mean... and this was only 3 weeks ago...

857898200_Screenshot2023-01-09at17_00_24.png.b7b1c6c5b115b0c4b3b87b6a3cfa7315.png

And you think the Kansas City offense is more consistent when it's struggled against the likes of Houston and Denver in recent weeks?

14 hours ago, Chaos said:

There is not much evidence any 2022 NFL defense consistenly shuts down the top offenses.  Against the Chiefs, the Bills will have to win the track meet. 

They won the track meet in last year's playoffs and the D still managed to "eff" it up. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Cincy and KC don't have even nearly the Patriots defense. 

PPG against

NE - 20.4

Cin - 20.1

KC - 21.7

Yds/g against

NE - 322

Cin - 335

KC - 328

Sacks

NE - 54

Cin - 30

KC - 55

Not really seeing anything there that shows NE is this defensive juggernaut compared to the other 2. Cincy doesn't have the sack numbers, but has a lower ppg.

6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I mean... and this was only 3 weeks ago...

857898200_Screenshot2023-01-09at17_00_24.png.b7b1c6c5b115b0c4b3b87b6a3cfa7315.png

And you think the Kansas City offense is more consistent when it's struggled against the likes of Houston and Denver in recent weeks?

KC averages more points in away games than they do home.

KC only averages 25.1 at Arrowhead and 32.8 on the road.

Bills average 31.9 at Highmark and only 25.8 on the road.

Neutral site AFCCG may play into KC's favor.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.