Shout out to Isaiah Hodgins

RenoNVBillsfan

7 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Talen evaluation of our own players continues to be worrisome.

Actually it shows they know more than us. Had Hodgins still been here we’d still be crying about WR depth. We actually had depth the whole time! 

I wish they still had him as depth but he wouldn’t have played here so we wouldn’t have gotten to see him play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Locomark said:

McKenzie is much better than you suggest. He has less drops than Gabe. 

Your retort is he catches more balls than the guy that drops the most balls? Let's aim our sights a little higher. They both drop too many passes but McKenzie also gets bodied out of balls and doesn't even get his hands on some that other tougher receivers like Diggs would catch all day long

34 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Your retort is he catches more balls than the guy that drops the most balls? Let's aim our sights a little higher. They both drop too many passes but McKenzie also gets bodied out of balls and doesn't even get his hands on some that other tougher receivers like Diggs would catch all day long

Neither Davis or McKenzie do anything to help out their QB. Both players are role players. Need a true WR2 and a true slot.

• Agree 2

On 12/11/2022 at 11:33 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Except Isaiah McKenzie is a speed slot WR, gadget player, return man and Isaiah Hodgins is a tall outside WR that doesn't play Special Teams. They'd never cut McKenzie for Hodgins. They basically play two different positions.

If anyone was getting cut for Hodgins, it would have been Jake Kumerow. But when healthy he's also a very solid Special Teams player.

I’d rather have Hodgins then both of them !! 

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Neither Davis or McKenzie do anything to help out their QB. Both players are role players. Need a true WR2 and a true slot.

A number of both Davis and McKenzie’s completions are secondary route concepts aka “scramble drills” aka the receiver “helping the QB” by giving him a target when the play breaks down

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Your retort is he catches more balls than the guy that drops the most balls? Let's aim our sights a little higher

I can agree with that.  We need an upgrade at WR this off season, maybe 2 upgrades

54 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

They both drop too many passes but McKenzie also gets bodied out of balls and doesn't even get his hands on some that other tougher receivers like Diggs would catch all day long

To be fair, that was the same problem both Beasley and John Brown had against the more physical, press man coverage teams in 2019.  There’s only so much a short, 170-180 lb receiver can do to compete for a ball with a bigger, heavier back.  Davis, though, has the 6’2” 210 lb frame that he should be able to compete for contested balls.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lol.

Persuasive!

6 hours ago, peterpan said:

Makes you wonder why he never saw time here, I wouldn’t exactly say we are stacked at WR.

what I really regret is the bills trading away Wyatt Teller.  Most fans loved that pick and he was doing well.  We had tons of journeymen vet guards at the time but to me, woulda made sense to stick with a cheap rookie over a veteran 

Jeez... I guess I always assumed that Peter Pan was more of a kind of "glass is half-full" type of character, and not such a major buzzkill.

☠️

This WR analytics site ranks Hodgins the 24th WR in the NFL. They rank WRs based on Open score, YAC score, and Catch score.

Isaiah McKenzie is 69th and Gabe Davis is 74th. If you include TEs Hodgins is 28th, McKenzie is 85th, and Davis is 96th.

Diggs is 4th.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nfl-receiver-rankings/

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This WR analytics site ranks Hodgins the 24th WR in the NFL. They rank WRs based on Open score, YAC score, and Catch score.

Isaiah McKenzie is 69th and Gabe Davis is 74th. If you include TEs Hodgins is 28th, McKenzie is 85th, and Davis is 96th.

Diggs is 4th.

Isaiah Hodgins is a product of getting the softest cushions in the NFL

Dabolls scheme And hodgins familiarity with the offense has put him in a great position to get balls because he knows the offense And corners have not adjusted yet

hodgins averages Over 5 yards of cushion at the line of scrimmage… per advanced stats… The highest in the NFL

Now there’s no reason to give a non-burner that much cushion… They will adapt and easy catches will go away

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Diggs is 4th.

How is this possible when he's played a significantly smaller time this season?

• 2 weeks later...

Isaiah Hodgins - The X-factor

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/12/2022-nfl-playoffs-preview-super-bowl-chances-chiefs-eagles

He gets mention in SI.  Did not think worth a thread since it is a look at all the teams article.

X-factor: Isaiah Hodgins. The wide receiver has scored in each of the past two games. And the former Buffalo Bill was targeted 12 times in the Giants’ 27–24 loss to Minnesota earlier this season, catching eight passes for 89 yards. We’ll see if he replicates that success again with another crack at Minnesota’s miserable defense.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He should’ve had a longer leash here, but when he was cut at the end of the preseason to keep special teamer Jake Kumerow - despite having the better preseason for the WR position - I knew he’d never get a real shake in Buffalo. Hats off to Daboll for giving him a shot and to Hodgins for taking advantage of it.

• Disagree 1

Hodgins is exactly where he should be - a desperation down-depth chart guy for a fringe team. I like him, but there's really no scenario that would have amounted to meaningful snaps in Buffalo. He simply doesn't offer a skillset that would have provided long term value here. Same with Blackshear - especially while Moss was still on the roster.

18 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

He should’ve had a longer leash here, but when he was cut at the end of the preseason to keep special teamer Jake Kumerow - despite having the better preseason for the WR position - I knew he’d never get a real shake in Buffalo. Hats off to Daboll for giving him a shot and to Hodgins for taking advantage of it.

Jake Kumerow was the 3rd WR and was heavily involved in pass blocking. 

Pass-blocking WRs get little respect from fans since pass-blocking is not a stat.

Glad he is getting a shot at Giants who have poor receiving corps (Yes tallest dwarf is still a dwarf)

Why they won’t make it: The Giants are undermanned at wide receiver and in the secondary. They rely heavily on run-game success, turnovers and a stout defensive line, which is all well and good when they are in their weight class. The playoffs are obviously a different story, and New York will be pitted against teams that can match strengths and force Daniel Jones’s receivers to win them a game.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Jake Kumerow was the 3rd WR and was heavily involved in pass blocking. 

Pass-blocking WRs get little respect from fans since pass-blocking is not a stat.

Kumerow, when healthy [BIG if] plays teams, and gives Josh a 6-4 target in the red zone.

28 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

We lost him because we were getting crushed with injuries and Beane had to take some chances.  Tough decisions 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.