Check out this phishing scam I just got...

SDS

Dear eBay Member,

We recently noticed one or more log in attempts to your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was used by a third party without your authorization If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you

The login attempt was made from:

IP address: 89.188.194.112

ISP Host: cache-66 proxy aol com

By now, we used many techniques to verify the accuracy of the information our users provide us when they register on the Site However, because user verification on the Internet is difficult, eBay cannot and does not confirm each user's purported identity Theft, we have established an offline verification system to help you evaluate with who you are deal with.

click on the link below, fill the form and then submit as we will verify

http://ebay-userpage.com/?eBaylSAPI.dll&Ve...egistrationShow

Please save this fraud alert ID for your reference

Please Note - If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporally suspend your account.

* Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received Respectfully,

Trust and Safety Department

eBay Inc.

Helpful links

Search eBay - Find other items of interest

My eBay - Track your buying and filing acidity

Discussion boards - Get help from other eBay members

eBay Help - Find answers to your questions

Learn More: Get notifications right on your desktop before an auction ends with the eBay Toolbar.

Trading guidelines

eBay will not request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in an email. Learn how to protect your account.

Thank you for using eBay

http:://www ebay com/

As outlined in our User Agreement. eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright c2005 eBay Inc All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay inc.

Dear eBay Member,

We recently noticed one or more log in attempts to your eBay account from a foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was used by a third party without your authorization If you recently accessed your account while traveling, the unusual login attempts may have been initiated by you

By now, we used many techniques to verify the accuracy of the information our users provide us when they register on the Site However, because user verification on the Internet is difficult, eBay cannot and does not confirm each user's purported identity Theft, we have established an offline verification system to help you evaluate with who you are deal with.

Please Note - If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporally suspend your account.

* Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received  Respectfully,

eBay Inc.

Helpful links

Learn More: Get notifications right on your desktop before an auction ends with the eBay Toolbar.

Trading guidelines

eBay will not request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in an email. Learn how to protect your account.

Thank you for using eBay

As outlined in our User Agreement. eBay will periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.

340779[/snapback]

"who falls for this crap?"

People that drive 300's or live in trailer parks. :)

Dear eBay Member,

* Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received  Respectfully,

eBay Inc.

Helpful links

Trading guidelines

Thank you for using eBay

340779[/snapback]

Sounds legit to me. I'd do it. If you don't:

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporally suspend your account.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but to temporally suspend your account.

340785[/snapback]

That's right. We're going back in time, and you'll lose all the auctions you previously won!

it's also disturbing that the domain registrars don't have a system in place to prevent domain names like this from being used. For all the billions that netsol has, you'd think they could hire a security and fraud staff. Why it's not more regulated is beyond me.

340779[/snapback]

Acidity? Click here for your litmus paper.

Maybe this is really a pH-ishing scam?

Get it?

pH?

Hello?

Is this thing on?

:)

Is there any way to send them a virus or worm through those e-mails, to destroy their whole network?

No. Besides, that'd be illegal if you did it.

it's also disturbing that the domain registrars don't have a system in place to prevent domain names like this from being used. For all the billions that netsol has, you'd think they could hire a security and fraud staff. Why it's not more regulated is beyond me.

340849[/snapback]

Why should the domain registrars be able to censor what domains people get? First, the web is world-wide. Second, how is ebay-userpage.com anything like ebay.com? Just because "ebay" is in the title? What if I want "ebay-sucks.com" or "ihate-ebay.com?"

People just need to pratice safe computing and remember the cardinal rule -- ALWAYS TYPE IN URLS YOURSELF, NEVER CLICK ON THEM!!!! If you think you got an email from Citibank or eBay, asking to confirm your information, then type "www.ebay.com" in your location bar (don't rely on bookmarks - a worm can change that if it wanted to, although none have been found yet) and login to see for yourself.

CW

Got one tody that said it was from Wells Fargo (I do have an account there). I said I was randomly selected for a security check and to enter all the info for my accounts. Had my mail program show long headers. It came from Poland (.pl).

All they need are a few stupid people.

340849[/snapback]

Think of all of the sites out there that do some sort of ecommerce. Should they run a match check against every existing domain before registering another? Or just protect the big guys?

Personally, I've been forwarding my phishes to spoof@ebay.com lately. Probably doesn't do any good, but at least I feel like I'm helping them go after these bastages....

Still, someone's stupidity or carelessness is no excuse for taking advantage of them.

340993[/snapback]

Sadly, if you are a crook, that actually IS your excuse for taking advantage of them. Who are you going to target, the smart and careful? :blink: