Josh Allen injury update(officially questionable - expected to start per Ian Rappaport)

Big Turk

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This is just me, but I don't think there is anything "sudden" about the refusal here. 

I think Josh has been playing aggressive all season. 

The thing is, when it works and we score TDs in 3 plays from scrimmage starting at our 2 yard line as in the Steelers game, everyone is ready to canonize Josh.  Someone ( @HoofHearted?) said that the Steelers game may have been one of the worst things to happen to Josh.  He had 19.7 yds per completion in that game, AND he threw a bad interception to Levi Wallace (the target was Gabe Davis) from the Pitt 21 that took points off the board when the score was 10-7.  He threw it on a line as though Wallace were not anywhere near Davis, when in fact Wallace was between Davis and the ball and closing fast - throwing on an arc Davis could have run under would have probably been a touchdown.  Same pattern of INT he threw to Knox vs. the Jets.

My guess is that when their young QB throws for 432 yds and the team wins 38-3, Dorsey and McDermott can't read the Riot Act too effectively to Josh over whatever the hell that interception throw was to Davis. 

They can say "Josh, you have to take care of the football; Josh, you hurt the team when you take points off the board; Josh, we could have used that touchdown when we were winning only 10-3, it could have changed the game.  Josh, you can't do that." and Josh will hear "Josh, football; Josh, points; Josh, touchdown, winning, changed game!  Josh, do that!"  The media MVP clamor and fan adulation must be louder than the coaches.

There are a few INTs that can't be helped - deflections and such - or the receiver bobbles it and it's charged to the QB (though in those cases, the throw may have been poorly placed or had too much "pepper" on it - I thought for sure that one great catch Singletary made was gonna be deflected and picked).

But I think most of Josh's 8 interceptions have been poor decisions.  At least 5 of them.

It's some of what you wrote above for sure, but the recent head scratchers are probably also due to better pass defenses, miscommunication, and other factors beyond simply being aggressive.  But you make some interesting, valid points . . .

Edited by TheWei44

11 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

It's some of what you wrote above for sure, but the recent head scratchers are probably also due to better pass defenses, miscommunication, and other factors beyond simply being aggressive.  But you make some interesting, valid points . . .

Thanks!

I think you're absolutely correct that better pass defenses play a huge role.  Part of that role is, when you're playing a bad team with a poor pass defense, you can get away with some bad decisions and turnovers because you're still gonna get a ton of other opportunities and boatrace the team like we did the Rams and Titans and Steelers.   But if the Bills want to be Championship Caliber, then they have to train themselves and play like they're playing a great defense where 1-2 stupid interceptions that take points off the board and give the opponent opportunities, can be the difference between victory and defeat.

What do you mean by "other factors beyond simply being aggressive", especially with regard to the 2 INT vs the Packers and the 2 INT vs the Jets?

It's a valid point that there's a fine line between playing fearless/aggressive and willing to take shots (which we want) vs. being aggressive to the point of reckless.

Edited by Beck Water

9 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Thanks!

I think you're absolutely correct that better pass defenses play a huge role.  Part of that role is, when you're playing a bad team with a poor pass defense, you can get away with some bad decisions and turnovers because you're still gonna get a ton of other opportunities and boatrace the team like we did the Rams and Titans and Steelers.   But if the Bills want to be Championship Caliber, then they have to train themselves and play like they're playing a great defense where 1-2 stupid interceptions that take points off the board and give the opponent opportunities, can be the difference between victory and defeat.

What do you mean by "other factors beyond simply being aggressive", especially with regard to the 2 INT vs the Packers and the 2 INT vs the Jets?

It's a valid point that there's a fine line between playing fearless/aggressive and willing to take shots (which we want) vs. being aggressive to the point of reckless.

The two I mentioned are the primary ones, but I do wonder whether there's any truth to the mild concussion rumors from hits he took in both of those games.

2 minutes ago, TheWei44 said:

The two I mentioned are the primary ones, but I do wonder whether there's any truth to the mild concussion rumors from hits he took in both of those games.

I've actually wondered if that's an underdiscussed effect of the running Josh does and the hits he takes.  Valid point IMHO and would explain why a QB who normally has exemplary field vision and decision making suddenly "craps the bed".

The coaches like RBs to be able to come out of the game partly to clear their head after all the hits they take, but the QB can't come out.

Edited by Beck Water

I know I can’t say this without people not actually reading it and thinking I’m saying something I’m not…..

But I was thinking a few months ago what it would feel like to have the Eagles championship. Like imagine a world where somehow Keanum was forced to play and we somehow played extreme complimentary football, all the stars aligned and we won our only super bowl in history with a QB that we all know isn’t the answer. But just feeling that obligation of having to appreciate and honor the guy that finally delivered for us. And how strange that would feel. Because how do you turn around and bench this guy next year even-though obviously we would.

Again: not saying I want this, knowing it WONT happen, hoping Josh plays every second including this week, Keanum sucks….I’m saying I understand this. I’m just thinking out loud of how strange that Situation was and would be for us.

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I know I can’t say this without people not actually reading it and thinking I’m saying something I’m not…..

But I was thinking a few months ago what it would feel like to have the Eagles championship. Like imagine a world where somehow Keanum was forced to play and we somehow played extreme complimentary football, all the stars aligned and we won our only super bowl in history with a QB that we all know isn’t the answer. But just feeling that obligation of having to appreciate and honor the guy that finally delivered for us. And how strange that would feel. Because how do you turn around and bench this guy next year even-though obviously we would.

Again: not saying I want this, knowing it WONT happen, hoping Josh plays every second including this week, Keanum sucks….I’m saying I understand this. I’m just thinking out loud of how strange that Situation was and would be for us.

Eagles fans are 100% incapable of being happy with anything. 

13 hours ago, Beck Water said:

It was on his R arm when he was returning from the UCL injury.

@Golden, where is this quoted from? It's kind of confusing, because the "by" authors are the ones who style themselves "pro football docs" but, they reference themselves in the quote.  Then there's also a quote from Alaina Getzenberg, our ESPN beat reporter, which I don't think Pro Football Docs would quote.

So I'm confused.

SIC (Sports Injury Central) email. 

take it for what it’s worth.  They form medical opinions (he is a surgeon) based on film study of injuries similar in style to Kyle Trimble of Banged up Bills.  It’s an opinion. 
McDermotts comment of “we will follow common sense” says more to me than Chao.   

The promo from SIC; 

“As an SIC follower you will never miss our expert injury analysis from Pro Sports Doctors to give you the most accurate insider injury knowledge.”

Chao states that he is with SICsports.com 

he introduces himself on his videos as “this is Dr. David Chao with SIC Sports Injury Central.com” 

26 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

See Trent Dilfer

42 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Let's just hope Allen doesn't go the way of Carson Wentz.  😬

12 minutes ago, Golden said:

SIC (Sports Injury Central) email. 

take it for what it’s worth.  They form medical opinions (he is a surgeon) based on film study of injuries similar in style to Kyle Trimble of Banged up Bills.  It’s an opinion. 
McDermotts comment of “we will follow common sense” says more to me than Chao.   

The promo from SIC; 

“As an SIC follower you will never miss our expert injury analysis from Pro Sports Doctors to give you the most accurate insider injury knowledge.”

Chao states that he is with SICsports.com 

he introduces himself on his videos as “this is Dr. David Chao with SIC Sports Injury Central.com” 

OK.  I just found it confusing because the authors reference a group with a different name "ProFootballDoc", but Chao IS that group with a different name, so it's like they're trying to give their opinion more clout by referencing themselves as a separate entity  IYKWIM? 

Also, Trimble is associated with Chao as one of his "injury spotters", and what Chao says above strongly echos the analysis and conclusions Trimble wrote, but doesn't give him credit or delve into the reasoning behind his conclusion (about the next 3 games being on a short timeline etc etc)

Chao was the San Diego Chargers team doctor for many years and was somewhat controversial:

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2013/4/22/4251626/san-diego-chargers-doctor-david-chao-has-chaotic-past

is a pretty good summary

That doesn't mean Chao isn't genuinely very knowledgeable about football injuries, from years of diagnosing and treating NFL football players, but it does mean instead of doing injury analysis as a sideline to a thriving medical or PT practice, it's kind of become his main gig.  So he has a motivation to "milk" injury news to drive clicks, if that makes sense?  And also to try to make his opinion seem weightier and more definitive so more people will read it.

I don't want to sound like I'm dismissing their analysis, like I said, he is very knowledgeable about football injuries from almost 2 decades of treating (or mistreating, as the case may be) them.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

How about if he plays, I will leave the board the rest of the season and if he doesn’t, you will leave?

I wasn't betting, just asking if you'd leave out of embarrassment.

I, on the other hand, acknowledged that it's possible he doesn't play, but that it's much more likely he plays now.

30 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Let's just hope Allen doesn't go the way of Carson Wentz.  😬

No chance. Allen is completely different from Carson Wentz… and a lot of that is between his ears. Allen’s great play wasn’t a fluke.  I think the past couple weeks are a fluke… something is/was up with him. Not sure if mental or physical. Those 4 INT’s were so bad, it’s almost as if he tried to throw them. That’s not Allen. He’ll be ok. 

4 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

No chance. Allen is completely different from Carson Wentz… and a lot of that is between his ears. Allen’s great play wasn’t a fluke.  I think the past couple weeks are a fluke… something is/was up with him. Not sure if mental or physical. Those 4 INT’s were so bad, it’s almost as if he tried to throw them. That’s not Allen. He’ll be ok. 

He didn't see the defender on the first one against the Jets, the D-lineman obscured his vision. May have been the same with Sauce int / route 

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I wasn't betting, just asking if you'd leave out of embarrassment.

I, on the other hand, acknowledged that it's possible he doesn't play, but that it's much more likely he plays now.

I was merely stating the common sense of it all. Your entire Super Bowl season hinges on the health of Josh Allen and you think they are actually going to push him out there less than a week after tearing something in his elbow. Yes, I am quite confident he will not play and why you insist on taking this to leaving the board and bringing up embarrassment is quite strange, very strange actually.

4 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Still. Pretty underthrown. He was off for sure. 

Remember his game against Atlanta last year? Similar in ugliness 2 or 3 ints (think he had 2 rush tds that game as well)

Then he played like a HOFer shortly afterward in playoffs 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.